• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Just wanted to own one high end scope. What say you, Schmidt & Bender, or Nightforce?
    I have HK MR762 that needs a host. I am not a mall ninja, but I can appreciate some fine optics.
    Have many Bushmell, Vortex, and other mid priced optics. Am I ready to make the next step up?
    Capitol Armory ad

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I have 2 questions only you can answer;

1. Can I afford it?
    2. Am i buying it because I want to or just for the "wow" factor. Lookee what I got.

Nice rifle BTW. Out of my price range.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    When I was shopping last time I looked through a S&B, NightForce, Leupold MK5, Sig Tango 6, and Vortex Razor Gen 2.

I couldn't justify the extra money for the S&B or NightForce ATACR over the scopes with better warranties.

I am a self admitted warranty snob though but currently have the MK5 and Tango 6 and couldn't be happier.

I know, get the "better" scope and you don't need the better warranty blah blah.

The S&B and NightForces (and Tangents) are nice but the extra money only seemed to buy features that I didn't like and names that commanded a premium.

Shop around.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    So can you decide if you “need” it? Sure, if someone said what do want? Cost no object, whatever you want...
    Ok, I wish I had unlimited budgets, and expensive optics were my way of life... but no, that is not true.
    But what if you had just one chance....

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    If I could afford it I would buy nightforce. Lots of good spec ops reviews about how indestructible they are especially against lateral impact. Lateral impact is what kills the ability to hold zero and repeatability. Nightforce excell at this.

Their warranty for mil spec scores is ten years. All other scopes have a lifetime warranty.

I could never afford one but if I could that's what I would do. That said any decent scope with a lifetime warranty will probably serve you and your offspring perfectly

YMMV

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I currently have 2 NightForce scopes, an NXS 3.5 - 15 X 50, and an NXS 8 -32 X 56. I’m also searching for a bargain on an NXS 5-22 X 56. IMHO, using one is definitely opening Pandora’s box. It’s hard to use anything else after looking through them, and they aren’t even top of the line NightForce scopes. I’m scared to even look through an ATACR or Beast scope.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If I could afford it I would buy nightforce. Lots of good spec ops reviews about how indestructible they are especially against lateral impact. Lateral impact is what kills the ability to hold zero and repeatability. Nightforce excell at this.

Their warranty for mil spec scores is ten years. All other scopes have a lifetime warranty.

I could never afford one but if I could that's what I would do. That said any decent scope with a lifetime warranty will probably serve you and your offspring perfectly

YMMV

Limited versus Unlimited Lifetime Warranty is part of the deal breaker for me.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So can you decide if you “need” it? Sure, if someone said what do want? Cost no object, whatever you want...
    Ok, I wish I had unlimited budgets, and expensive optics were my way of life... but no, that is not true.
    But what if you had just one chance....
    That's why I recommend shopping around and seeing the features all of them have to offer.

The name you want on it may not be the best fit for you, your firearm, or the type of shooting you want to do.

If you just want a certain name then go for it as you will not be satisfied with anything else.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    S&B is really killer optics. Paying full retail on it is stupid. Finding someone not charging full retail is the challenge. I missed that boat years ago, but it can be done! I would look for a dealer list, then find the dealer with lower overhead. A good gunsmith comes to mind whose shop is in his house.

yellowg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Pflugerville, Texas
    You can also shop around for used ones in various long range forums, or even places like texasguntrader.com and ebay.

I took a big loss selling my NXS 3.5-15, so I’m sure you can find a deal for a used one somewhere. Optics lose a ton of value if you buy them new.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I currently own a schmidt 5-25x56 and a nf 7-35x56 atacr also have a 3-15x50 premier heritage which is now tangent theta. Still technically own a leupy mk4 and recently sold off a gen 1 razor. To 99% there's not a ton of difference between the top tier and the mid pack glass. The times they shine are are in lowlight be it dusk/dawn or targets in the shadows. I've seen this with grayed out targets in the shadows. The mid level like the razor line up in particular are tough to see the edge of the target. Then in heavy mirage they can cut through it better without having to dial back magnification as much. Then there are features. Like with the schmidt you can get a few variations in turrets. Double turn like what nf has, MTC and MTC locking turrets. There's also a straight locking on a select few along with cw or ccw rotation. Nf are straight forward with no options.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    When it comes to top shelf optics,you really can't go wrong with any brand. I have several of them,and they all perform great. It all depends on the type of scope you want.
    Buying a used scope is the easiest way to get a great scope for a great price. Some guy's just have to have the latest and greatest scopes every year,and they sell off what they have for some great discounts.
    You can also get great deals on discontinued models,or scopes that just don't move off the shelves because there's too many competing scope models.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I really want to scratch that itch for superb piece of glass.
    How do they compare to say an... ACOG?

Does anyone in Houston stock S&B that I could take a look through? I understand that interaction in stores is at an all time low.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

Does anyone in Houston stock S&B that I could take a look through? I understand that interaction in stores is at an all time low.
    I have never seen anyon carrying inventory. My experience with them was thru Euro Gun Imports the owner put one on his wifes .375 rifle. I also checked them out @ S.H.O.T.

An Elcan is someting you would compare to an ACOG.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have never seen anyon carrying inventory. My experience with them was thru Euro Gun Imports the owner put one on his wifes .375 rifle. I also checked them out @ S.H.O.T.

An Elcan is someting you would compare to an ACOG.

I assume the S&B uses fluorite glass. Isn’t that the major difference between mid and high end?

You say an Elcon and ACOG are in the same group, and I fully agree. How does their glass compare to the higher end scopes? Or is it just the ruggedness factor that makes these different...

Last edited:

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX

The ACOG will be a fixed power scope. I have ACOG's and only 1 variable Trijicon a 1-4x24mm.
    Trijicon makes a lot of variable power scopes to fit your need. Their glass is good, but I don't really see too much difference between them and a good Leupold or Zeiss. The Leupold VX-6 on my 280 ack imp is a nice piece of glass!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I assume the S&B uses fluorite glass. Isn’t that the major difference between mid and high end?

You say an Elcon and ACOG are in the same group, and I fully agree. How does their glass compare to the higher end scopes? Or is it just the ruggedness factor that makes these different...
    I have a Elcan & like it. Never looked thru an ACOG.
    IMG_3876.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3876.jpg
      IMG_3876.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 420
    Top Bottom