• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    That's only important depending on your criteria imo. Also some of the best low light may not be exactly the toughest.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I really want to scratch that itch for superb piece of glass.
    How do they compare to say an... ACOG?

Does anyone in Houston stock S&B that I could take a look through? I understand that interaction in stores is at an all time low.
    I believe I looked at one at Cabela's. They usually also have a Leupold MK5 and probably NF.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I currently own a schmidt 5-25x56 and a nf 7-35x56 atacr also have a 3-15x50 premier heritage which is now tangent theta. Still technically own a leupy mk4 and recently sold off a gen 1 razor. To 99% there's not a ton of difference between the top tier and the mid pack glass. The times they shine are are in lowlight be it dusk/dawn or targets in the shadows. I've seen this with grayed out targets in the shadows. The mid level like the razor line up in particular are tough to see the edge of the target. Then in heavy mirage they can cut through it better without having to dial back magnification as much. Then there are features. Like with the schmidt you can get a few variations in turrets. Double turn like what nf has, MTC and MTC locking turrets. There's also a straight locking on a select few along with cw or ccw rotation. Nf are straight forward with no options.

So which is your favorite? Or at least favorite for each use?

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Personally,before I'd drop $4k+ on a S&B PMII scope,I'd buy a Tangent Theta or Zero Compromise Optic scope. They are the best of the best for not much more money.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Once you get into the $2k and up price range of scopes,it mostly comes down to the features that each scope has or doesn't have. Quality of the optics is a toss up to most peoples eyes.
    I have Swarovski,IOR Valdada,Revic,Athlon,and Steiner high end scopes presently,and have owned Nightforce,and Kahles in the past. All of these scopes perform excellent in almost any conditions.
    It's funny that my Athlon Cronus will run right with any of the other scopes that cost $1k+ more. It tracks great,the glass is great,I love the reticle. The only thing that isn't as good is the turret feel,the Athlon isn't as "tactile" feeling as the other's,but it works just as good.
    My next scope will be a March 3-24x52,I've always wanted a March scope and I just missed a great deal on a used one by 2 days.

The Athlon Cronus BTR is probably the best deal going in top shelf scopes. For under $2k,it'll run with the big boys in almost every category.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    All 3 are dead nuts reliable so it's down to other features really. The premier has hands down the best turrets I've ever used and the only top tier I've not touched in person is a zero compromise. The new tangent is supposed to be an updated design but I personally don't think the turrets compare. The premier does have MTC turrets which not many are a fan of but I like it and its not what makes them so great. The S&B is still the gold standard for that all are compared to because it does so much so well. I have an old style MTC only turrets that are also cw rotation. They could use either a bigger diameter turret or less mills per rotation but they are by far unusable. I'd say glass on the schmidt and premier are neck and neck. The nf is right there with them but it seems a touch more picky about parallax where the other two are extremely forgiving. Something else I have found odd in the glass department of the nf is I've been behind a few 5x25 atacr and was kinda disappointed. The 7-35 is advertised as having the same glass but I don't believe that. Then there is reticle selection which is a huge factor but on a personal level. What I choose to run may not be usable at all for you.

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    I really want to scratch that itch for superb piece of glass.
    How do they compare to say an... ACOG?

Does anyone in Houston stock S&B that I could take a look through? I understand that interaction in stores is at an all time low.

I think The Scopesmith south of Houston (Dixie Farm and I-45 area) usually stocks S&B. Carries the other high end brands if you were looking to compare side x side.

For the OP, it just depends. Someone else mentioned if that's what you had in mind, then you may not be happy with anything else but S&B. I agree with this philosophy myself.

Someone else mentioned see if you can get it on sale, that's what I have been able to do. Set a few dollars aside and when the right deal comes along, you jump on it.

Top Bottom