School me on Fire Sticks

striker55

Jan 6, 2021
Katy
No habla espanol?

I don't well enough to enjoy those channels, but my TV allows me to customize the channel list.... so no hay problema!
Not only Spanish I can't understand Vietnamese, quite a few of foreign language channels. I do have one Spanish channel I'll watch for the soccer, some of the soaps are good even if I don't understand.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2011
Cypress, TX
I'm about to do the same. Wife want to get local channels to watch the news. How does one go about this?

Sorry @baboon no inntention of thread jacking.
CV,

We cut the satellite cord back in 2019. We use fire sticks on 3 tvs (one firestick has been in regular use since 2015) which gives us access to all the streaming networks. We have an antenna connected to a Fire Recast to receive/record over the air TV.

This is our set up:

antenna Amazon product ($80)

fire stick Amazon product ($40)

fire recast Amazon product ($280)

We made the purchases on these back in July of 2019 during the prime day sales, so our costs were 80+25+220=325. The only corded connections are with the recast connecting it to the antenna (located in our attic) and the router. All communication between the fire sticks and the fire recast is run over wifi. Like some of the others have complained, the fire sticks can be a little glitchy sometimes, and there are some bloatware "apps" loaded by amazon that cannot be removed or disabled.

Over all, we have been pretty pleased with the setup.

bbbass

Baffler of the Brilliant
Sep 2, 2020
NE OR
Not only Spanish I can't understand Vietnamese, quite a few of foreign language channels. I do have one Spanish channel I'll watch for the soccer, some of the soaps are good even if I don't understand.
Vietnamese are channels we don't have here. Must be a large population to warrant that.

Oh yeah, Hispanic newsgals are the BEST and I think they double in the soaps!!!

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
Oct 9, 2017
Mckinney TX
I see some of these OTA antenna say "mount in attic or on roof". If I chose to mount one in the attic, will the reception be hindered by the house? It is not steel structured.

Top Bottom