• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjkukla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Richwood
    Another roku vote here. Good product.

Re: local channels - I'm an hour South of Houston and my attic antenna gets 60+ channels. Cost me about 30 bucks on amaz. Easy cheesy.
    Capitol Armory ad

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Apple TV here. Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Sling etc are all available as apps. Works well and never had an issue. Have used one since they came out 5 or 8 years ago...I lose track. We use an HD antenna for the locals.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Apple TV here. Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Sling etc are all available as apps. Works well and never had an issue. Have used one since they came out 5 or 8 years ago...I lose track. We use an HD antenna for the locals.

I’m a fan of ATV, but Jesus they’re proud of those boxes. We have the service, but not the box. May swap to it next year though if we do more smart house stuff.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Roku Streaming Stick Plus is probably what you’re looking for.

Here’s every service/channel you can access with it. Note that some are pay services, but Roku’s ecosystem is top tier, second only to AppleTV, but that device costs $140 more.

$40 at Amazon

Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Device with Long-range Wireless and Voice Remote with TV Controls Amazon product ASIN B075XLWML4
    Plugs into a TV’s HDMI port and off you go.
    I looked at Roku but it wouldn't work with a streaming service I use so I had to go with Firestick.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I can't help you, but these guys seem to know all about them.

giphy.gif

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    No habla espanol?

I don't well enough to enjoy those channels, but my TV allows me to customize the channel list.... so no hay problema!
    Not only Spanish I can't understand Vietnamese, quite a few of foreign language channels. I do have one Spanish channel I'll watch for the soccer, some of the soaps are good even if I don't understand.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    I'm about to do the same. Wife want to get local channels to watch the news. How does one go about this?

Sorry @baboon no inntention of thread jacking.

CV,

We cut the satellite cord back in 2019. We use fire sticks on 3 tvs (one firestick has been in regular use since 2015) which gives us access to all the streaming networks. We have an antenna connected to a Fire Recast to receive/record over the air TV.

This is our set up:

antenna Amazon product ASIN B007RH5GZI ($80)

fire stick Amazon product ASIN B007RH5GZI ($40)

fire recast Amazon product ASIN B074J1GPB8 ($280)

We made the purchases on these back in July of 2019 during the prime day sales, so our costs were 80+25+220=325. The only corded connections are with the recast connecting it to the antenna (located in our attic) and the router. All communication between the fire sticks and the fire recast is run over wifi. Like some of the others have complained, the fire sticks can be a little glitchy sometimes, and there are some bloatware "apps" loaded by amazon that cannot be removed or disabled.

Over all, we have been pretty pleased with the setup.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I get free WiFi and the owner of the company told me to get a fire stick for TV. I bought one that was jail broke and it was just broke! I don't want another one that does not work but 1 day. No I don't have or plan on getting Alexa.
    My favorite fire sticks are the Orion 30min ones.
    51b7187365d38d1ce729811128a81661.jpg

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Not only Spanish I can't understand Vietnamese, quite a few of foreign language channels. I do have one Spanish channel I'll watch for the soccer, some of the soaps are good even if I don't understand.

Vietnamese are channels we don't have here. Must be a large population to warrant that.

Oh yeah, Hispanic newsgals are the BEST and I think they double in the soaps!!!

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I see some of these OTA antenna say "mount in attic or on roof". If I chose to mount one in the attic, will the reception be hindered by the house? It is not steel structured.

Top Bottom