School shooting suspect made 'disturbing' social media posts

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Ranger550, Feb 14, 2018.

1. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I already fear this time. When I came home from Iraq I was forced into counciling by my command for an incident that occurred while I was there. I felt like I was being punished. The entire time of my counciling I was flagged from reenlistment, promotions, PCS amongst other things. I had not done anything wrong except lose a close friend, yet until I was cleared from that I had no opportunity to advance. I kept my mouth shut and didn't tell them a damn thing about what happened or how I felt. The whole thing put a bad taste in my mouth. Unit went to shit afterwards and I left. I have been out for 5 years now and refuse to give the VA anything they may decide to use against me. Scary to think about how just having some close to you pass on and talking about it could be used to take away your rights.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  2. LOCKHART

LOCKHART Well-Known

Apr 29, 2014
    I looked up HIPPA on Google. First thing that popped up were names of a bunch of damned LAWYERS! WTH??

3. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
    ^^^ it’s so providers can get sued for negligently disclosing any medical information.

That’s a big deal.

But...Back in the day... the newspapers listed who was in the hospital so that you could go visit them lol.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  4. LOCKHART

LOCKHART Well-Known

Apr 29, 2014
    Like this? "George Smith, who killed his whole family with a chainsaw, is now in the Rusk State Hospital for the criminally insane, is ready for visitors.". Like that? LOL!

5. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
    No no! Haha. Community hospital! Like Mrs. Darlene Johnson was admitted on Thursday 2/15 on the medical floor.

There is a memories page for our local city on Facebook and I saw that on there.

6. LOCKHART

LOCKHART Well-Known

Apr 29, 2014
    LOL! I know, wildcat. Just tuggin on your sleeve.

Wildcat Diva likes this.
  7. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
    Hahaahaaa ok.

8. Omegaheat

Omegaheat New Member

Dec 29, 2017
    San Antonio Texas
    They have people on social media that over look posts and moderate, but you know posting weird shit like that isnt red flaggish at all. Smdh...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. TAZ

TAZ Active Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    That’s not what I said at all. I stated that he wasn’t prosecuted for criminal acts, not for fantasy. If you felt that he was a threat you should be reporting the patient. If you don’t you should be sued, same as the surgeon who leaves his cellphone in his patient.

IMO part of the issue we are dealing with is that not a soul has access to the big picture. As a therapist, do you have access to a minors sealed criminal records? Would your assessment of his mental status be affected by knowing he has a history of petty crime that grew into violence and maybe into animal cruelty? Now when he said he wants to kill his teachers what’s your reaction.

10. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
    So, I know that’s not exactly what you said, but you post gets me to thinking. What I said was taking what you said to the next level. Building on it.

And, by Texas law... I’m not permitted to report any client who I think is a threat. It’s illegal. I would be violating the law, so how should I be sued for following the law?

See my quote below.
    Basically, this:
    “Thus, in Texas, a psychotherapist who acts on a duty to warn and/or protect when a client expresses the intent to harm another individual would be violating Texas law and placing her or himself at great legal risk.”

I have no access to anyone’s records unless they are public or if they provide me consent. Yes of course having multiple sources is always good for an assessment, but that hardly ever happens.

If someone said that I would try to get them to report on themselves and encourage them to develop a safety plan. If a minor, I would involve the parent, and the doctor of our treatment team that I may communicate with by default in my current employment.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018