• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    “Hair Love” director and producer Matthew Cherry wrote on Twitter, “Since Deandre Arnold’s school didn’t want to let him walk at his graduation because of his hair, we figured that he should walk with us on the red carpet at the #Oscars as our special guest.”

Cherry says Gabrielle Union and Dwyane Wade are flying De’Andre and his family to Los Angeles and taking care of their hotel and transportation.
    https://www.fox26houston.com/news/s...eadlocks-invited-to-walk-red-carpet-at-oscars

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    This is why you can't hire anyone reliable or expect courtesy from anyone because rules just don't apply. Stupid ass rule but a lot of them are. Its just friggin' hair, it'll grow back. I guess military service is out for this pampered snowflake, might muss his nails...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As far as I can tell, the problem with this kid is that he has not yet learned that you're not allowed to be smarter than the people in authority who make the rules you must live by.

The rule was (as I understand it and I freely admit I may be wrong since the news coverage has been really spotty on details) that hair couldn't be in the eyes, over the ears, over the collar. He complied with that rule by having a hairdo that simply piled all his hair straight up in the air. The school administration apparently got ticked that some kid was able to obey the "no long hair" rule while having really long hair so they changed the rule to say that the hair couldn't hit the collar, etc., when it was down.

They changed the rule close to graduation. The only reason I can conceive for the sorts of small-minded bitches who run schools to change the rule during the school year would be to punish him for being smarter than the rules and to bring maximum pressure on him to cut his hair so that he could walk in the graduation.

I don't know how this will all turn out. Most likely, like in every case for the last 50+ years in Texas, the student will lose his battle.

I find it interesting, though, to compare this situation with the competitive shooting world. Depending on your chosen sport, there may be a "spirit of the rules" rule, a "failure to engage" rule, a "failure to do right" rule, or some other rule. They all have the same goal: impress on the competitor that he is not allowed to make the people who wrote the rules look bad by being smarter than them.

Still, people persist.
    • The ISU outlawed certain types of electric triggers on free pistols back in the 1950s, even though the whole sport was named for the fact that pistol design was supposed to be "free".
    • The NRA outlawed chin stocks in rifle silhouette when a young lady on the Air Force shooting team started winning, making the old guard look like the Fudds they proved themselves to be.
    • I had a friend who was disqualified from his first practical pistol match because he stepped into the first shooter's box and engaged all the targets on the stage, posting perfect hits in way less time than the regulars. The stage designer couldn't imagine anyone not running from box to box to get closer to targets and so didn't explicitly state a requirement to move. Since my friend was coming from the world of Bullseye, the notion of just popping off a couple of shots at targets 50 or 60 yards away didn't faze him. He was asked to leave because he didn't play the game the way they envisioned it.
    • And if we sat and brainstormed it, I'm sure we could come up with 100 more examples.
    The point is that folks in authority hate it when you find ways to do what's right simply because they haven't properly composed a rule to make it impossible to do so.

This young man is learning a good lesson. He'll run into these situations over and over for the rest of his life; we all do. Now he'll be better prepared to deal with them.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Rules arent rules unless they are firmly and consistently applied. In this case it seems hes been allowed to wear his hair like this till now. That's the districts fault and since hes gone in 2 1/2 month
    Just shut up and let it go. Not the hill to die on.

You got a good student who's never been in trouble gets good grades and will graduate. Why phuck with him now. Just notify everyone what happens next year and move on.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    It's all politics, I'd guarantee it! Having been in education for 30 years from teacher, asst. principal, principal, and program director, this student has pissed someone off and now the school board, central office officials, etc. is getting back at this student.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I wasn't a yes man while I was in. I have a huge stack of counseling statements that show that. If something was wrong I spoke up.

What are 'counseling statements'? We had extra duty, working party, short tour, captain's mast and/or bread and water and finally corrective custody. I don't recall any counselors.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    He has been growing those dreads since he was 10. The ISD has had eight years to say something.

What they did was make themselves look like the douchebag control freak lefties that they are.

As to the invite to the Oscars, good for him. It’s not like the family solicited it. Hope he has a blast.

Top Bottom