• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I am confused about this. The scope base on my savage 110 ba stealth is not level. I can get the front of the scope base level but when I move my level to the back it’s way off level. Could this be a manufacturer defect in the receiver where the screw holes are or could it be the scope base I put on it. It’s a leupold 20 moa base specifically for my rifle and I have taken it off several times to ensure it was seated and facing the correct way and it is always is off level in the rear of the scope base. I use a wheeler scope mounting level kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    What's not level? The reticle or the actual scope base? Is it not level from right to left or from back to front? How are you leveling the rifle to check the base level? What are you wanting to be level?

The way you describe it. The bubble level is ok on the front but not level to the rear. The base is one chunk of metal. It'd have to be twisted or warped. If it was you could visibly see a gap between the base and the receiver.

Pictures of this would help.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    What's not level? The reticle or the actual scope base? Is it not level from right to left or from back to front? How are you leveling the rifle to check the base level? What are you wanting to be level?

The way you describe it. The bubble level is ok on the front but not level to the rear. The base is one chunk of metal. It'd have to be twisted or warped. If it was you could visibly see a gap between the base and the receiver.

Pictures of this would help.

I will attempt to take some pics and upload and try to describe it better

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    First picture is showing the rifle supported and level from muzzle to but stock. Second picture is the front of the scope base level and third picture is without moving rifle just the level the back of the scope base being off. I hope this helps explain my situation
    4a2daef452a1feed06d78a34d2ca1f4a.jpg
    0820a55b0905f6b5a00b6855fcc9298b.jpg
    5b651684bd2c2bb4f79637ffe1c24637.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Mount the bottom side of the scope rings to the base. Leave off the top of the rings. Place the level on the lower ring half and measure the level that way.

If the bottom half of the scope rings match level. Don't worry about the variation of the base.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Mount the bottom side of the scope rings to the base. Leave off the top of the rings. Place the level on the lower ring half and measure the level that way.

If the bottom half of the scope rings match level. Don't worry about the variation of the base.

I can’t not the type of scope rings I have. It’s a very expensive one piece
    bddce1f20428ac3299b6ac470bb188c9.jpg

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    What if you mount the scope and set the level using the top turret.

Trust me I have done it several times. This has nothing to do with zeroing or grouping. I’m trying to find a level reference point to time my muzzle brake

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Get a grinder! :banana:

Took some fine grit sandpaper and roughed the bottom of the scope base reseated it and it’s as close as I’m gonna get it. Then used 3 levels. One on the table surface one on the center if the scope base and one on the brake and got it timed. I think lol. Just trying to make sure all my weapons are g2g for Monday’s range day. Haven’t been out to the range in several months and want to get everything re zeroed/verified

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Initially I read your post as you couldn’t understand why a 20MOA scope base was unlevel(IE front to back). I’m speculating that the scope mount for your savage is slightly off where it meets the receiver in the back or the rail is not perfectly level. Could be a screw hole tapped slightly off or a flaw in casting. Overall it shouldn’t make a difference since the side to side on a picatinny Rail is changed by the clamping of an accessory.

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Yesterday took the 300win mag out and it held zero perfect. With my calculated dope I was able to hit steel from 300 through 700 yards with no issues. The lanes that went out to 2200 yards were busy so I didn’t get a chance to stretch the guns legs.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I've seen the level change as you tightened the rings. That happens every time I install a scope using the same Wheeler kit if I'm using a mount with rings that screw-in from the side. I believe is caused by rings that shift the level toward the direction the rings are tightened. Common problem. If you get a mount where the rings are tightened downward, that should stop the problem.

Last edited:

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I've I've seen the level change as you tightened the rings. That happens every time I install a scope using the same Wheeler kit if I'm using a mount with rings that screw-in from the side. I believe is caused by rings that shift the level toward the direction the rings are tightened. Common problem. If you get a mount where the rings are tightened downward, that should stop the problem.

Not worried about it because I have the scope perfectly level and the zero is dead on. With amazing consistency out to 700 yards. I just hope I can get a chance to go back to triple c and start my dope where I left off last year at 1400 yards and continue to 2200.

Top Bottom