• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    I have been looking at the Nikon P223, I have also seen some other ones like [h=1]AC11872 - 1-4x28 IR SWAT-AR Rifle Scope by Barska[/h]
    But I am just getting into scopes so I need to know from you guys that know more than I do which way to go. I will say up front I am not trying to spend 4 or 500 dollars on a scope. I have to keep it real and get the most for what I can afford right now.

Thanks for any input as always!
    Texas SOT

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Do you need to have magnification? How far do you plan on shooting at?

If it's only ~100m there were some killer deals on non-magnified red dots and holo sights lately:

$350 Aimpoint PRO from Palmetto State Armory and $289 EOTech 512 with rebate.

Last edited:

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    I would like to have at least a little magnification. Might take the AR out for a pig hunt. As far as the Barska, I have read some reviews since posting this and they all seem to read the same way......POS. So, right now I am leaning towards the P223.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Leupold vx-hog 1-4x20mm; they go for about $230... I have one on my .45-70 and an AR. Excellent quality for the money. I really like the modified German #4 reticle they have, too.

11425977233_bb0f3b3e15_c.jpg

8705665250_777ab8dc52_c.jpg

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I would think that Leupold VX-Hog shown in TheDan's post above would be an excellent choice. I've had several Leupold scope (not the vx, though) and can't say enough good things about them (and they have a no B.S. lifetime warranty!).

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I would think that Leupold VX-Hog shown in TheDan's post above would be an excellent choice. I've had several Leupold scope (not the vx, though) and can't say enough good things about them (and they have a no B.S. lifetime warranty!).

If the VS-Hog is like the VX-2 1x4, it's also very light too. Some optics (while nice) are boat anchors. So many choices. That's why everyone needs 4-5 kinds (dear santa...) :tree: . Burris FF Tac is nice but heavy. The Nikon M-223 are awesome. Never tried the P-223.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Whatever you do; hurry. Prices are going up the closer we get to Christmas. I picked up my p 223 for $100, during black Friday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If the VS-Hog is like the VX-2 1x4, it's also very light too. Some optics (while nice) are boat anchors.
    Yep, that's another thing I like about it. Very light compared to many other options. You don't want your AR feeling top heavy. As Charlie notes, it's hard to beat their "gold ring" warranty, too. I think the whole VX-1 line is probably the best deal in scopes right now... You get the quality and clarity you expect from Leuphold for under $250.

Top Bottom