Join TexasGunTalk

Scope mounting issue

Discussion in 'Optics' started by unicom, Jun 10, 2019.

1. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Every time I start to tighten the screw on my aero precision scope mount the scope seems to turn and is no longer level with the rifle. I start with the scope being level and the rifle is level as well. The rings connect to each other sideway instead of a top and bottom. I do small adjustments to each screw but the scope always ends up out of level. What am I doing wrong.
    9fac989ce2bbdf84c99f6e9a26cfb322.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Some mounts just do that. You have to turn the scope a bit and try to get the screws tight as the scope rotates level.

It can be a real pain sometimes.

3. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Smaller adjustments and try using gorilla tape to hold it in place while you tighten.

Dad_Roman likes this.
  4. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    If you have a collimeter (borescope) set the cross hairs level, tighten the scope, note how much it turns. The loosen and set that much to the opposite side and tighten. Also use a torque wrench and increase in small steps. If all else fails only tighten one screw and get it level. That one will hold it while you slowly tighten the rest.

Dad_Roman likes this.
  5. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Thanks for all the advice. You people may have just saved me from spending money to have it done for me. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dad_Roman likes this.
  6. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Come and get it TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    This^^^ is your issue. As you tighten the screws... it's adjusting the scope in very little increments.

Dad_Roman likes this.
  7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just wanted to add that I have seen this issue with almost every scope mount or rings I have used.

Even regular split rings will do it if you try to do all the tightening on one side.

8. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I've seen folks use a VERY THIN layer of clear fingernail polish on the bases to "glue" the scope while tightening. Seems to work.

9. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    This.

Just like torquing heads on a motor, work your way around slowly and evenly.

Dad_Roman likes this.
  10. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    You can also try torqueing each screw no more than 25%-30% of the desired torque. And make sure when you start that the gaps between upper and lower halves are even. And always torque in an "X" pattern. Torque a diagonal set on the front or rear ring and the opposite diagonal on the other ring 25% at a time. Continue 25% at a time in the same pattern until done. I seldom have one move if I do that.
    It is kind of a pain though.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce and Dad_Roman like this.