• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gmofftarki

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    I'm interested in opinions on where might be a decent place to buy scope rings and have them installed with a scope in the Houston area?

Rifle has 20MoA rail, scope is 30mm tube and 50mm objective, so requires ~ 1" height according to the mil-rad.com calculator, if that makes any difference. Based on pictures of the rifle and the fact that the scope has a pretty long eye relief (~4") it seems likely that I'll have an extra couple mils of leeway as far as height is concerned, but that's not an absolute thing until I get both in hand some time next week.

I'd prefer not to drive around aimlessly for days and days, so if someone knows a place that will have a wide selection of rings in stock and the willingness and ability to use them, I'd appreciate the info.

Any thoughts? Cabela's is an interesting option, since they'll do free boresighting and scope install if you bring your rifle/scope/rings in, but I'm not sure that it necessarily fits the bill if I don't know what rings I'll actually wind up needing.

Thanks for the help.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    What part of town? Most shops that sell rings install them at no charge. Cabala's in the League City area I know does. I just picked up a Nikon M-223 mount for my AR at Spectre Firearms off of 249/Spring Cypress.

Gmofftarki

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    I'm central-west, but wind up driving all over creation anyway, so one more trip won't hurt too bad. I just don't want to drive to League City then Spring then Sugarland then Cypress in an attempt to find the right set.

I've never bought or had-installed a scope before, so this whole process is somewhat new to me.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    No way I'd let a hack at a big box store (Cabela's, Gander, Ass Pro), or even a place like Carters Country, mount a scope for me. It'd be either an independent gunsmith or myself, and 99% of the time it's the latter. If your biggest dilemma is making sure you get the right height rings the first time, search the Internet forums for setups like yours. I've had great luck doing it that way.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Agree, box store scope mounting is bottom of the line in my experience and the eye relief will probably be way off, maybe a crooked reticle too.

If you will have to change it anyways, might as well do it yourself from the start.

Scope ring height will depend on clearance needed and proper height for a good cheek weld.

I have a 50mm obj Vortex mounted on Seekins medium height rings, 20moa rail on a Savage M10 .308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I agree on finding a professional to do it. It will be worth the extra expense.

If you were closer I would gladly help you out.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I agree on finding a professional to do it. It will be worth the extra expense.

If you were closer I would gladly help you out.

Nah. Better than box store if you just can't mount it, but I see no reason to spend ammo money getting a scope mounted.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Nah. Better than box store if you just can't mount it, but I see no reason to spend ammo money getting a scope mounted.

While I agree, it is pretty easy to waste ammo trying to diagnose a loose mount.

I can't recall a box store pulling a rail to clean and Loctite it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Pretty easy to get your mounts tight at home :p

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Indeed we must. Scope mounting is easy and fun. Even for a complete novice. Some blue lock tite and a wrench is all you need. Cabelas and carters country can sell you the rings. You really need to fit the scope yourself. It's kind of like going to a shoe store and buying lace up shoes and they guy knotting the laces before you put them on your feet.

This is particularly true if you buy a 20 MOA base. You are going to be shooting long range so you need to get the scope exactly level and the eye relief correct. That requires laying prone or benched and sighting on a target at distance and moving the scope while you have a natural cheek weld. It's as easy as lacing your own shoe laces but only you can decide what is comfortable and you can and should change it as your needs change. Heavy coat, just doesn't feel right etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gmofftarki

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    I promise you I'll twist my own screws next time, but at the moment my living quarters don't really have room for a vice and associated trappings. For the moment, though, I'd feel more comfortable letting a professional handle it.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You don't need a vice. Most of the time the Allen wrench comes free with the rings. If not then hardware store.
    You can't screw thus up but it's hard for a pro to get it exactly right. 99% of the time they won't let you lay prone on the floor with the gun in position and the ring bottoms installed and slide the scope forward and back till it's exactly right and then snug up the screws and stand up and and get back down check it and recheck it till you are sure it's correct.

But you can do it at home. Watch a YouTube video or two. It's not rocket surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never used a vice for mounting. Table, chair, and whatever was available to prop the gun up. Bag/bipod/books/towel, whatever works.

Gmofftarki

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    I thought this was the protocol for extended range applications:

Keeping the mount level while checking the levelness every quarter turn or so of each screw on each of the rings. Especially with the need to buy a special torque wrench, it seems like quite a hassle.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I didn't watch the video but it is what you make of it.

Thumb and one finger on the short end of the Allen wrench is all you need for torque.

Take the rail off, wipe off any oil, and reinstall with blue Loctite. Install rings and scope loose with blue Loctite on all screws.

Mount rifle and get it how you want it for eye relief. Tighten everything down. Tighten screws equally but it will turn the scope a little so watch for that.

I use a door jam or corner or something else level to line up the reticle while looking through the scope.

That is the short version but you get the idea. It really isn't that difficult.

Top Bottom