• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Old Ernie (father in law) passed away three years ago. About a month ago my MIL sold her home and we were moving her. She came across some ammo that Ernie (WW2 Navy Vet) had left behind.

Being the "Gun Guy" I was awarded the stash. Approx 300 rounds of 22lr and HP shorts.

20130327_215419_zpsbafcda6e.gif
    Venture Surplus ad

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    That's some old stuff.
    The only thing that a$$hole FIL of mine will ever leave me, will be the funeral bill.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    That's some old stuff.
    The only thing that a$$hole FIL of mine will ever leave me, will be the funeral bill.

I have no idea HOW old? He gave my wife his 22lr Winchester rifle about five years ago when he knew he was too old to keep it. Really an emotional moment to watch him explain to her why he was doing it. Ernie bought the rifle in 1941 before he went into the Navy and then to the Pacific. It's a very accurate bolt action rifle.

I am not sure if I should light these off or not?

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Ernie sounds like a very special person. Of course he was part of the Greatest Generation, so that's not a surprise. I envy you knowing him. I'd just keep the ammo for sentimental value. Just my $.02.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Ernie sounds like a very special person. Of course he was part of the Greatest Generation, so that's not a surprise. I envy you knowing him. I'd just keep the ammo for sentimental value. Just my $.02.

Yes Ernie was a ery awesome person. Born from German immigrants he had an extremely hard life. They were very poor and his older brother was very abusive. Despite that Ernie lead a clean and hard working life. Never tasted alcohol. WW2 Navy Vet, married 57 years, raised three children, mowed his lawn with an old Murray lawn mower until he was 83 years old.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I think they will shoot fine and I would guess it is what he wants. Sounds like he was a good guy and would appreciate you not wasting it. Now the boxes would stay in the house somewhere forever.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I shot a few old ones a few years ago. You might want to use a rag to get the powder oxidation off the lead though.

Ditto on the boxes. You gotta keep them. I collect those, and the Rem boxes are 40+ years old.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I shot a few old ones a few years ago. You might want to use a rag to get the powder oxidation off the lead though.

Ditto on the boxes. You gotta keep them. I collect those, and the Rem boxes are 40+ years old.

I ran the loose rounds through the tumbler to clean them. Came out good. Separated the rounds and there are three different kinds. They all look great so Ernie must have stored them all in a nice dry place. Definitely keeping the old boxes that still have rounds in them. One is still completely full! I forgot to mention that the 100 round plastic box has a Montgomery Ward price tag for $3.99.

Although the MIL gave me the ammo I am going to ask my wife if she wants to shoot them through Ernie's old rifle.

Top Bottom