• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Will be here thursday, now the planning starts for reloading 308. Unfortunately midway does not have the redding competition dies in stock. Any tips suggestions from Jedi's of reloading ?
    Target Sports

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Biggest improvement I had was using Lee collet die set. Bolt action only though.
    The accompanying seating die is awesome for a consistent "jump" from case to lands.
    I went from 1" groups to 1/4" with a pencil barrel field grade.

hrt4me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    DFW
    I mounted my own Forster Co-Ax on a Dillon strong mount...

I have Redding 308 competition dies to sell...

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Ive got forster 223 and 300blk dies with the micrometer seater and I love them. Cant see spending the bucks on redding and the like. I really love that the bullet collar is spring loaded. Really keeps runout to a minimum especially when loading flatbase bullets for 300blk.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Scored the following guess should be OK for a semi 308 and 300 BLK. Anyone have experience using H335 and RL-17 ?

CCI large rifle primers 2000
    H335 8lb
    Alliant Reloader 17

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Both. Both my .308 love 175 smk. Hourly I should be able to work with the powders I just scored. Also planning on .300 blk

Sent from the black hole

Reason I asked is because you may want to / have to get two sets of dies (full length for the semi and neck only for the bolt) and might want to consider keeping the cases separate. If you are going to get fanatical that is. I am actually having to use a small base die because my semi auto with the customer barrel won't cooperate with a standard FL die. Oh well. Bolt guns are less finicky and you an get better performance out of a once FL died case and then neck size afterwards. Just something to consider depending on your set up, and your over all goal of accuracy.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Seriously I have no idea what I will be doing, but have a few books and order the powder and primers. So hopefully will start reloading and get somewhere and as I gain experience will filter out more and more.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Seriously I have no idea what I will be doing, but have a few books and order the powder and primers. So hopefully will start reloading and get somewhere and as I gain experience will filter out more and more.

It is most certainly a learning process. Heck, I have been doing it for 2 years now and I am still learning, and it seems every caliber, and every gun, has it's own nuances. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

FBOPMAN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I own a Bonanza Coax press and you made a wise decision. I frequently use Redding and RCBS dies as well as Forster. You may want to order the Forster die lock rings, they work a tadbit better with the other mfr dies. Good Shooting!

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Here are the results from my first reload

e33dd389-5c17-4bbc-b106-d737c9fdf3e6_zps3f8ba562.jpg

20131212_150400_zps0b932b48.jpg

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    So did you just load all 100 with 47gr and not vary the charge weight? On a bolt gun the lee collet neck die is awesome. Bumps the shoulder back and resizes the neck without beating the rest of your brass up. You have to keep that brass for that specific gun but it greatly lengthens brass life from what everyone says. I haven't shot enough times on any one set of brass yet to wear any of it out on my bolt guns so I cant personally attest to it.

Good job.
    And bless you for doing 5 shot groups.
    I despise 3 shot groups....lol
    Whats wrong with 3 shot groups? They make me look like a better shooter than I am :D
    20131109_135033_zpsabeeba77.jpg

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    So did you just load all 100 with 47gr and not vary the charge weight? On a bolt gun the lee collet neck die is awesome. Bumps the shoulder back and resizes the neck without beating the rest of your brass up. You have to keep that brass for that specific gun but it greatly lengthens brass life from what everyone says. I haven't shot enough times on any one set of brass yet to wear any of it out on my bolt guns so I cant personally attest to it.

Well this was my first time reloading and RL-17 suggests 51gr max, but after reading through lots of forums people suggest the sweet spot is between 47 & 48.1 grains.

Top Bottom