Not open for further replies.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    The only difference between the two is the amount of money involved. What's the threshold, then, for how much capitalism is too much? When should additional government regulation kick in and to what degree?

Actually, yes. Having worked for a "billion dollar company" in the past that actually made a profit of 1.6% (16 million) on that billion dollars in revenue, I'm a little touchy, as my pay was tied to corporate performance. Lower performance, lower pay... but we were still "a billion dollar company" in the eyes of everyone else. It's also a reason I'm biased towards smaller companies - more agile, more easily able to change as the market does.

And there you have it. The "real" profits are hidden (moved overseas) by billion dollar corporations. Sorry if you didn't see your "fair share" of a piece of the pie.
    Hurley's Gold

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Why do liberals hate profits??? It is the reason you go into business, to make money---------nothing wrong with that. Why else would you open and run a business?????? Size is irrelevant, big corporations have investors that are as entitled to a return on their money as anybody.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    And there you have it. The "real" profits are hidden (moved overseas) by billion dollar corporations. Sorry if you didn't see your "fair share" of a piece of the pie.

Actually, none of ours were - we were entirely a US-based and operated company. The profits were $16 million, or 1.6%. 1.6% doesn't go very far, comparatively, especially when you factor in risk... and when you can make 6% by investing in the broader market instead of operating a business, paying a thousand people salaries, etc.

None of the profits were hidden, and none of the profits we didn't make were deferred - they simply weren't made - "unactualized gains." There's no conspiracy... just not enough success, which could be failure to execute, poor market conditions, or excess costs (our "cost of sales" was abnormally high, something identified in the corporate plan, but cutting costs often requires both becoming more efficient and cutting positions... and that's never fun).

Not every business can outperform the market average... but those that consistently don't aren't in a good position to be competitive. That's the point of profits - increasing the capital you have on hand to increase competitiveness and using it for long-term performance vs. short-term gains (which is the difference, grossly, in private vs. publicly held corporations).

Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    paradise, ATX
    Sorry I missed it. So your telling me that TGT follows the rules of the nanny state. I so disappointed.

Please refresh my memory about the legend. The great Alaskan Wolf whose blood curdling howl echoed through the dark wilderness.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Is this for 5th combines or ignore list cred?

I already got ignore list cred here. I'm even a prime number.

Oooh, I could be a prime number on 2 different lists!

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Actually, none of ours were - we were entirely a US-based and operated company. The profits were $16 million, or 1.6%. 1.6% doesn't go very far, comparatively, especially when you factor in risk... and when you can make 6% by investing in the broader market instead of operating a business, paying a thousand people salaries, etc.

None of the profits were hidden, and none of the profits we didn't make were deferred - they simply weren't made - "unactualized gains." There's no conspiracy... just not enough success, which could be failure to execute, poor market conditions, or excess costs (our "cost of sales" was abnormally high, something identified in the corporate plan, but cutting costs often requires both becoming more efficient and cutting positions... and that's never fun).

Not every business can outperform the market average... but those that consistently don't aren't in a good position to be competitive. That's the point of profits - increasing the capital you have on hand to increase competitiveness and using it for long-term performance vs. short-term gains (which is the difference, grossly, in private vs. publicly held corporations).

My apologies. I guess mine was a conditioned response. Most billion dollar corporations find ways to hide their profits overseas. My guess is the corporation you worked for did some shady deals you're unaware of. It's so common these days that shady dealings are just daily business.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Wow. All I hear is a bunch I whining.

It's a COMPETITIVE market and world. Some win some lose. If you don't like where you're at financially then change what YOURE doing.

Maybe we should start handing out trophies on the corner where they have the Obama phones.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    My apologies. I guess mine was a conditioned response. Most billion dollar corporations find ways to hide their profits overseas.

Again, liberal bullshit. If you REALLY look at the matter, the tax laws in the US are SO unfavorable to business they CAN'T bring the money back in - they'd get SUED by their US-based investors for doing so. Why? 30-45% taxes - meaning LOSSES - on the money. So, all of these big, evil corporations are making money overseas and keeping it there because the US government goes OUT OF ITS WAY to ensure there's ZERO incentive for that money to come back home where it could be useful. That's also why you see jobs and manufacturing ship overseas - it's not just cost of labor, it's to be able to put that "expatriated" money to use in a local economy without incurring a significant tax loss.

So, you say, why would this be? Well, you don't want your tax laws to be such that it's cheaper to actually MAKE the money overseas and just bring it here - you want that money to be made here and stimulate this economy... so you tax foreign gains when brought back into the US. Makes some sense. Problem is, that tax rate is WAY too high in terms of how much a business loses by doing so.

And, if a business doesn't act in the best interest of its shareholders (and intentionally losing money is NOT in their best interest), they get sued. One more reason to leave it the hell alone, unfortunately.

My guess is the corporation you worked for did some shady deals you're unaware of. It's so common these days that shady dealings are just daily business.

Nope. Just a cutthroat business and out-of-date business practices. Nothing shady, just poorly managed. It's one of the reasons I'm not there... and I see it all the time. Cut costs, save a nickle... lose a dime's worth of sales. But hey, costs are down!

Most of the things we think of as evil are either simple stupidity or poor business practices. Business isn't 50/50, where half do well and the other half do not so well. It's closer to 80/20 - 80% either suck or tread water and 20% do well. Nature of the beast.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's a COMPETITIVE market and world. Some win some lose. If you don't like where you're at financially then change what YOURE doing.
    Well... It's competitive as long as government stays out of it. With all the corporate welfare getting paid to political donors it makes it hard for other's to enter that market. Not to mention the piles and piles of regulations that apply to everyone except for the political favorites that get "waivers". The crony capitalism that we have right now is not a free market.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The sad part is there are LE agencies who thought it OK to search through a cell phone with out a warrant. DUH! Any first year officer would know that will not cut it. SCOTUS exists because dumb asses have to push the envelope.

How soon they chose to forget what they were taught in the Academy. Get a freaking warrant! Unless you can articulate reasonable exigency. Not feeling like getting a warrant does not make for exigent circumstances, you lazy dipstick

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Ok, back on topic.

Question for the legal eagles on here.

Do you think this ruling will have any effect on the 'Border Search Exception' that allows federal agents to conduct suspicionless search and seizures within 100 miles of the border without probable cause or warrant (which includes complete searches of any and all electronic devices from cell phones to laptops)?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom