Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Cops Need Warrant to Search Cellphones, Court Rules - NBC News

In a sweeping decision in favor of digital privacy, the Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that police almost always need a warrant to search a person’s cellphone, even in the case of someone placed under arrest.

In an 8-1 decision, the court ruled against the Obama administration.

The usual law is that police can search anything on a person when they make an arrest. Opponents argued that smartphones were different because they hold such vast and personal stores of information.

8-1!

The other important statement:

But warrants, Roberts wrote, are an important part of the machinery of government, not an inconvenience.

Chalk one up for "play by the rules!"
    Lynx Defense

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Just wanted to put this out there for all of those who say we must tow the GOP line and vote for whatever scumbag they throw out there for POTUS. You know , because they will appoint better SCOTUS judges.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The only reason the politicians are running the country is because we the people have abdicated our authority and responsibility. Look how much government intrusion there is in violation of the 10th amendment. Department of Education, Obamacare, EPA, and on and on.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Which are run, funded and supported by people... and as a legal construct, ARE people that we otherwise fail to hold accountable fiscally.

Yes... and no. The only "control" we little people have over corporations is to either buy or not buy (vote FOR or AGAINST). Only the corporations have direct control over their "people"... not We, the People. Despite what some people believe, "corporations" are NOT "people". However, they are run by people with only one thing in mind... "personal greed".

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yes... and no. The only "control" we little people have over corporations is to either buy or not buy (vote FOR or AGAINST). Only the corporations have direct control over their "people"... not We, the People. Despite what some people believe, "corporations" are NOT "people". However, they are run by people with only one thing in mind... "personal greed".

This is plain and simple an over-generalization and a gross misunderstanding of what "incorporation" means and is for and mistakenly mixes public and privately held corporations together. Please stop spouting talking points you heard somewhere else and do some actual research - talk to some actual corporate executives (especially at SMALLER corporations) about the difference in being a private company vs. a public company and how that changes how you must do business (and what the tradeoffs are that make it worthwhile).

I say this as an employee of a company (and stockholder of said company) that just made the transition from a privately incorporated company to a publicly traded corporation. I also say this as a small business owner who has considered the benefits of incorporation and has a plan for when I need to change from simply being an unincorporated small business to considering incorporation (mainly related to accounting concerns and corporate liability/personal liability for errors and omissions).

Personal greed? That's code-talk for "I'm jealous you make more money than I do." Next time you see some 'enormous' corporate profit, take a look at what that number represents in terms of the company's return on investment, net profit percentage, and cost of capital. You'd be surprised: $5 billion LOOKS like a lot of profit until you realize that the company is making $5 billion on $200 billion in business, so a 2.5% profit margin. 2.5% isn't a great return on ANY investment.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    This is plain and simple an over-generalization and a gross misunderstanding of what "incorporation" means and is for and mistakenly mixes public and privately held corporations together. Please stop spouting talking points you heard somewhere else and do some actual research - talk to some actual corporate executives (especially at SMALLER corporations) about the difference in being a private company vs. a public company and how that changes how you must do business (and what the tradeoffs are that make it worthwhile).

I say this as an employee of a company (and stockholder of said company) that just made the transition from a privately incorporated company to a publicly traded corporation. I also say this as a small business owner who has considered the benefits of incorporation and has a plan for when I need to change from simply being an unincorporated small business to considering incorporation (mainly related to accounting concerns and corporate liability/personal liability for errors and omissions).

Personal greed? That's code-talk for "I'm jealous you make more money than I do." Next time you see some 'enormous' corporate profit, take a look at what that number represents in terms of the company's return on investment, net profit percentage, and cost of capital. You'd be surprised: $5 billion LOOKS like a lot of profit until you realize that the company is making $5 billion on $200 billion in business, so a 2.5% profit margin. 2.5% isn't a great return on ANY investment.

LOL!! Yeah, okay. I should have clarified... BIG corporations... not LITTLE corporations. "Code-talk for jealousy? Heh... nah... I just want BIG Corp "things" out of my a**.

What does this have to do with billion dollar corporations profiting from militarization of our civilian forces? Feeling a bit touchy on the greedy corp subject for some reason?

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    LOL!! Yeah, okay. I should have clarified... BIG corporations... not LITTLE corporations. "Code-talk for jealousy? Heh... nah... I just want BIG Corp "things" out of my a**.

The only difference between the two is the amount of money involved. What's the threshold, then, for how much capitalism is too much? When should additional government regulation kick in and to what degree?

What does this have to do with billion dollar corporations profiting from militarization of our civilian forces? Feeling a bit touchy on the greedy corp subject for some reason?

Actually, yes. Having worked for a "billion dollar company" in the past that actually made a profit of 1.6% (16 million) on that billion dollars in revenue, I'm a little touchy, as my pay was tied to corporate performance. Lower performance, lower pay... but we were still "a billion dollar company" in the eyes of everyone else. It's also a reason I'm biased towards smaller companies - more agile, more easily able to change as the market does.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Just wanted to put this out there for all of those who say we must tow the GOP line and vote for whatever scumbag they throw out there for POTUS. You know , because they will appoint better SCOTUS judges.
    Hoji, you're number 2.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR