• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RLand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Texas
    Hello everyone, I'm on the search for a gun that was handed down to my wife and I by my grandmother-in-law. The gun belonged to my wife's grandfather, and is very important to my wife. It was "accidentally" sold by my stepfather two years ago (long story, but let me know if you'd like to hear it). It is a 1961 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight .308. It was sold to a dealer in the Kerrville area, then he sold it to a gentleman from Boerne (outside San Antonio). I was able to speak with the gentleman from Boerne, and he said he didn't have it long before selling it at a gun show, but he doesn't have any record or recollection of who bought it. I have the serial # and will share if needed. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I know we're searching for a needle in a haystack, but I figured this would be a great part of the haystack to search in. Thank you in advance.
    Capitol Armory ad

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    If you have the time ,I would start calling all the gun shops in the area. Then I would start calling pawn shops.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    I would join every gun forum on the net and make this same post.

Good luck my man, I truly do wish you the best with this endeavor!

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Ha! My baby bro "accidentally" sold the Walther P-38 that my dad brought home after WW2.
    GLWS. (good luck with search)

g

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yeah, place ads wherever you can. Might get lucky.
    Do it again around hunting season in the fall when stuff like that changes hands more often.
    Flyers at a local gun show might be an option and talking to the local pawn detectives to see if perhaps it was pawned at some point as that has to be reported to the police by the pawn shops.

Good luck. Gun folks are good people.

RLand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you all for your replies and ideas. We plan to continue attending local gun shows and asking around. I'll post the fliers and talk to local pawn shops as well. The search will continue.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Best of luck.

Too bad that many folks are so opposed to completing a simple bill of sale/receipt, one maybe would have helped in an instance like this. Anyway, hopefully you will be able to track it down and whomever owns it now will be willing to part with it for a reasonable price.

Of course, if the current owner hears of your search, I am pretty sure whoever has it will check under the butt plate for a hollowed out stock to look for whatever treasure might be hidden within it.:)

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Best of luck.

Too bad that many folks are so opposed to completing a simple bill of sale/receipt, one maybe would have helped in an instance like...

09cbc8d2e78c28d76e89aa16609121aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• 09cbc8d2e78c28d76e89aa16609121aa.jpg
      09cbc8d2e78c28d76e89aa16609121aa.jpg
      17.5 KB · Views: 607

RLand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Texas
    By chance did the gentleman in Boerne mention which gun show he sold it at? A date might help as well...

I will see what I can find out and post it here. He said that he had heart surgery last year and has trouble remembering things prior to that. He said he’s sure he sold it sometime mid to late 2018, but couldn’t remember much more.

Top Bottom