• ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    List of stores closing this go round...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/10/15/sears-holdings-bankruptcy-store-closures/1645971002/

Don't be fooled by any real good deals when liquidation is announced. The first week or so, prices are tagged at list price then continue to go down from there.
    What they wind up doing is to have the stores staying open send all their old stock, overstock, discontinued items, etc. to the locations liquidating in hopes of selling it to the suckers rushing into a store with liquidation signage for full price. By the time prices start getting good, all the morons have already bought most of the good stuff at regular sale price thinking they got a good deal. :banghead:
    Hurley's Gold

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Sears and Roebuck began as a mail order catalogue business. They were the AMAZON of the day around the 'turn-of-the-century' (1900).

as 45tex stated, "the pendulum swings"

bob
    When I was a kid one of the highlights of the Christmas season was getting the Sears Christmas catalogue. It had pages and pages of toys. We used to drool over it and make wish lists.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    There service repair contracts were second to none not long ago.

Having bought many appliances from Sears as a builder, they were the best of the bunch when it came to service contracts for years.

And, when I was building spec homes, I once bought 5 multi-fuel stoves, on sale, and Sears held each one in their warehouse storage until the last house was ready for trim out ... three years later.

No questions, no charge - just a robo call once a month and a "Press 1 to delay delivery".

Gonna miss Sears ...

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    You could buy a house from Sears as late as the 1960's. At one time they also sold cars.

House I'm typing this from was a Sears "kit home", built in 1958, on Lake Hamilton, AR.

The bones are still as strong as day one, framing lumber is "Nominal" size, and exterior balcony built from old growth cypress. Not many build like this anymore ...

Except for some kitchen and bath redo's about all I've needed to do so far is paint and update the electrical, as I go.

And, I liked the original "V" detail on the balcony so much I reflected it with the trim on the new shed I built last year.

SearsKitHouse.JPG

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Waco is not supposed to close anytime soon. That was from the local "news" channel last night, so who knows exactly how accurate that really is.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Still got the old Ted Williams single shot .22 rifle from Sears. It's at least 45 years old and in much better shape than my Kmart 20 gauge.

Kingarthur777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2018
    Livingston
    There is no mystery why. For instance, we purchased a dishwasher with an extended warranty plan. They have spent more money repairing it, than it would have cost them to replace it several times over. They also overcharge for what other businesses can do for cheaper. Essentially, their business model is terrible.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Waco is not supposed to close anytime soon. That was from the local "news" channel last night, so who knows exactly how accurate that really is.

Around November 15th there may be more store closing. Stores on that list will be mainly stores with leased property. It was reported that if they were unable to renegotiate the leases on them they may see those stores closing as well.
    There are approximately 700 stores. In the pre bankruptcy news it was reported that they were looking at keeping 300 stores open. With the 190 or so already on the chopping block this year, that still leaves close to 200 sites up in the air. December 15th was also mentioned as a significant date, though I can't recall exactly why at the moment.

The stores on Monday's list are all to begin liquidation within 90 days.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    There is no mystery why. For instance, we purchased a dishwasher with an extended warranty plan. They have spent more money repairing it, than it would have cost them to replace it several times over. They also overcharge for what other businesses can do for cheaper. Essentially, their business model is terrible.

Way too much MBA-think ...

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I did have a motorcycle sold by Monkey Wards. A Merriam Atlas 100. 2 stroke magneto driven true POS. At idle all the lights went out. When you added oil to the gas tank you then shook the whole bike. Actually rode it off a cliff in a national Forrest. Guy with a Bull Taco came by tied a rope to it and drug it back up to the fire trail. I straightened the font forks between my legs and rode it home

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

They problem is they failed to adapt to the times, and didn't get a waiver on retirement debt like GM did. The service plans were all designed when appliances lasted 15-20 years. They didn't get modified when manufacturing went to China. Warranties and service plans used to be a bad deal for the consumer because you would never use it.

I did have a motorcycle sold by Monkey Wards. A Merriam Atlas 100. 2 stroke magneto driven true POS. At idle all the lights went out. When you added oil to the gas tank you then shook the whole bike. Actually rode it off a cliff in a national Forrest. Guy with a Bull Taco came by tied a rope to it and drug it back up to the fire trail. I straightened the font forks between my legs and rode it home

I still have a TV from Monkey Wards. Still works fine. I keep it as a spare for when one of my much newer tv's go out. Also have a stereo that has been relegated to barn duty. Still have 2 original speakers that work too. Even after sitting in the dirt floor barn and exposed to the temperature and humidity swings for the last 20 years.

The stereo was early 70's. TV mid 80's.

Top Bottom