• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jpscooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2014
    1. My bullet seating depth is .020 off lands. All things being equal if I were to seat it deeper, let's say .060, would I see an increase in MV as there is now less interior volume inside the case? Less volume and same charge=more velocity?

2. Since .020 inherently gives more volume inside the case, compared to book max COAL, would this allow me to (potentially) be able to work up a load a bit over book max charge weight?

Asking both questions because I started .020 off lands for better accuracy, but I need more velocity for longer ranges than what my chronograph is showing. 300 win mag, hornady brass, 7828 powder, S&B primers. Thanks!
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Get a bigger cartridge. Plain and simple.

In my experience book loading data is always on the tame side. Going over is usually safe but not very much and always a gamble. The loss is wearing out your brass and rifle as well as your shoulder.

Loading long does decrease pressure but also hurts velocity. Weatherbey uses freebore to ramp up speeds on his rounds with good effect. You are doing the opposite.

It is possible to gain velocity by running more powder and experimenting with seating depth. Ultimately though you aren't going to gain much useable hunting distance.

Heavier for caliber bullets retain velocity better at long range so that might help but again, the gain is usually nominal in comparison.

If you are already running max powder charges then there isn't much you can do to make your 2000 yard hunting rifle into a 2500 yard gun (or whatever it is).

Shot placement is always key. Running a round at max velocity usually isn't the most accurate shooting round. What you gain in velocity you generally lose in accuracy. This accuracy loss is multiplied at longer distances.

If you are really close to topped out and need to gain useable distance then you need a bigger cartridge.

Jpscooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2014
    Get a bigger cartridge. Plain and simple.

In my experience book loading data is always on the tame side. Going over is usually safe but not very much and always a gamble. The loss is wearing out your brass and rifle as well as your shoulder.

Loading long does decrease pressure but also hurts velocity. Weatherbey uses freebore to ramp up speeds on his rounds with good effect. You are doing the opposite.

It is possible to gain velocity by running more powder and experimenting with seating depth. Ultimately though you aren't going to gain much useable hunting distance.

Heavier for caliber bullets retain velocity better at long range so that might help but again, the gain is usually nominal in comparison.

If you are already running max powder charges then there isn't much you can do to make your 2000 yard hunting rifle into a 2500 yard gun (or whatever it is).

Shot placement is always key. Running a round at max velocity usually isn't the most accurate shooting round. What you gain in velocity you generally lose in accuracy. This accuracy loss is multiplied at longer distances.

If you are really close to topped out and need to gain useable distance then you need a bigger cartridge.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't want to sacrifice accuracy and consistency found. With being one grain from book max it doesn't seem wise to thread the needle for a hundred (or so) FPS I may gain. I may test bullet seating depths or primer options down the road and see what I get.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I haven't noticed changes in velocity adjusting seating depth. Nothing notable anyway. Also, I usually end up over book max without seeing bad pressure signs. Just work up carefully.

Top Bottom