• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

I've been recently given a circa 1930-35 seventy-four inch saltwater boat-rod in generally GREAT shape for it's about 80YO age, EXCEPT one guide is missing & the guide wrapping is "tired -looking". - Even the original varnish on the bamboo is in GREAT shape.

I'm planning to re-wrap the guides/tip with the proper silk, mount a 1930's German-siver Ocean City free-spool reel on it & put it up on the wall for display..

IF anyone has a source for NOS saltwater guides of that era OR possibly has a suitable double-footed casting-rod guide with a 8/9 mm eye, I would like to hear from you by PM or email to: texasnative46@gmail.com

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all from both of us.

yours, Darla & satx
    Venture Surplus ad

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Friends,

I've been recently given a circa 1930-35 seventy-four inch saltwater boat-rod in generally GREAT shape for it's about 80YO age, EXCEPT one guide is missing & the guide wrapping is "tired -looking". - Even the original varnish on the bamboo is in GREAT shape.

I'm planning to re-wrap the guides/tip with the proper silk, mount a 1930's German-siver Ocean City free-spool reel on it & put it up on the wall for display..

IF anyone has a source for NOS saltwater guides of that era OR possibly has a suitable double-footed casting-rod guide with a 8/9 mm eye, I would like to hear from you by PM or email to: texasnative46@gmail.com

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all from both of us.

yours, Darla & satx
    I have 2 30's era split bamboo fresh water fly rods that me grandfather gave to me. I'd like to find somewhere to get them reconditioned. I have an early True Temper rod that I gave to my daughter. It had a Pflueger Supreme reel that needed a new reel handle. I found one on-line. It took a lot of searching but if you know the manufacturer you can usually find parts.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Inspector43,

Unfortunately, I have NO idea who made the guides on the rod. - I asked "a local expert" on period fishing gear & he said that MOST makers bought components on contract from "the lowest bidder" & after looking at the rod/guides said, "There's no way to know who made these. The maker is likely out of business."

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you/yours from both of us.

yours, tex

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Inspector43,

Unfortunately, I have NO idea who made the guides on the rod. - I asked "a local expert" on period fishing gear & he said that MOST makers bought components on contract from "the lowest bidder" & after looking at the rod/guides said, "There's no way to know who made these. The maker is likely out of business."

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you/yours from both of us.

yours, tex
    Do you know who made the rod? Many of the better rods back then came from L. L. Bean. May be a way to search.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Inspector43,

YES. "H-I, Inc" made the rod & they are LONG out of business, according to the same gentlemen.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Inspector43,

THANK YOU for your advice/attempt to help. And PLEASE do.

I believe that somebody/somewhere has a "source" for period-correct guides BUY haven't yet found one.

yours, satx

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom