• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GGR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Texas
    First off... Hello! I have been reading a lot of forums but first time to post. My family owns about 60 acres in N TX over 1 mile from a medium sized town, but only recently have my brother's and I started shooting out there for skeet and target practice.

About a month ago my brother and cousin were shooting a 9mm Glock and 4 LEO from the Sheriff Dept in three cars show up on the edge of the property. They ask my brother if they can see his gun because there were reports of FULL automatic machine gun fire. LOL - my brother says his double taps must be getting better. The LEO ran the #s on the pistol and asked that next time we call them before we go out shooting.

This past Sat, 5 of us from the family went on to the land to shoot. We had an AR15, AK47, two shotguns, and three pistols (9mm and .40). After shooting for about 5 hours the LEO show up with lights flashing. Four LEOs (two of them were the same guys from last time) ask to search our guns due to numerous reports of FULL auto machine gun fire. They said the reports came from as far as 2 miles away. They spent about 30+ minutes looking through all of our gear, ran #s on 2 pistols, and repeatedly asked if we had any machine guns. Of course we do not have any.

The LEOs were very polite and professional, but I am frustrated that we were delayed (we lost all of the sunlight and had to pack up in the dark). And well we haven't done anything wrong. I am very pro LEO and have offered once we finish setting up full range on our land that the local LEO can shoot on it; which they were eager to accept.

My parents, who own the land and live locally in the town, plan to speak to the sheriff so we can avoid any future issues. So I guess I am seeking ADVICE on a balanced view - both from LEO and as a private citizen. What is fair here?

Reasons why I am upset:
    * I don't appreciate that the police have broadcasted the fact Ben and
    I have 1000s of $ of guns stored at our homes. The police ran our
    gun's serial #s over their public radios. Thieves target homes for
    jewelry and guns.
    * I don't appreciate being 'criminalized' in the public eye by the
    image of cop cars with sirens on at our land when we haven't done
    anything wrong (our land is just off of a busy road where the LEOs parked there cars).
    * Despite their professionalism, I don't appreciate the embarrassment of being questioned and detained by police is to my friends.

I told my parents, who are ok with guns but not avid shooters that this is the same thing as:
    1) The cops asking for receipts every time they unload merchandise at
    the family store because someone says it "might" be stolen.
    2) My brother being repeatedly pulled over because someone tells the police that since his car has sporty wheels they believe it might also have illegal engine parts.

Oh I am traveling now but will check back as soon as possible.
    ARJ Defense ad

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Had that happen years ago at a friends place.
    He finally spoke with a judge that got word to the sheriffs dept to ignore the incoming complaints.
    He had a neighbor that was just being an ass and calling the cops.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Actually, a call to the Sheriff before shooting, and doing that early and often might actually get the Sheriff's office tired of you calling to the point they say 'don't call us anymore, we know!' and then might head off the calls from the neighbor.

I have no idea though. Sometimes I just like being a pain in the butt.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I guess, from my view, there are a few things going on here.

First, I wouldn't be too upset about 1000's of $ of guns being broadcast, since you just broadcasted to many more people (via this website) that you have spent good money on arms. Lots of people have guns, some people have police scanners...but I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it.

Second, it sounds like they got complaints from people that are not used to hearing gunshots and responded to the call. They are simply performing their duty by going on the call. I am glad to hear that they were friendly & professional, as they should be. Eventually, I would expect that they will figure out it's just you guys.

Third, to help prevent future visits, you should call the Sheriff and chat with him. Explain that your family owns land and that you are now using it for plinking. You should let him know that it is fairly recent that you have begun doing this and that they have responded to 2 calls regarding this. Let him know that the officers were professional/friendly, but that you hated to see 3 officers time being spent on your legal activity (this is where you don't say 'they should be out catching crooks' or anything like that). Be nice & professional. Let him know that you guys plan to shoot there more in the future and you wanted to let him know in case they get additional calls for your location.

That is what I would do, good luck.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Practice...lol. Hey, I have a new scope arriving tomorrow........I am going to call it 'coon killer'.......I'll be sure to seat my mag this time. Here raccoon, raccoon.

That sounds like a fitting initiation I saw the FB pic of you in your closet getting things ready

GGR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for the ideas. I too figure that since its rather new for us to be shooting it will just be an adjustment to the LEOs and general public. I imagine that a polite conversation will straighten it out. Unfortunately the 'bad press' of all this might hinder our families approval of future shoots on the land as they aren't as open to guns.

kingofwylietx, I don't mind saying what I have a forum because I doubt you know who I am... but in a small town everyone know who owns land and where. LOL when I was 16 (many years ago) my parents knew I got a speeding ticket before I told them because someone they knew heard it on a scanner. So I know it happens. But I agree with points 2 and 3. That's what I hope will happen.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    You speak well on here, so I don't expect you will have any issues discussing this with the Sheriff. It's an elected office, so for the most part, they tend to be diplomatic. I'm sure that you can work this out if you, too, are diplomatic.

I have to defer to you on scanner use in your area.........let me see, I'll track your IP and triangulate your high speed connection. There, got it. Okay, you have 2 people on your street with scanners, but 3 on the main road by your land. Say hi to your Uncle Billy for me. lol.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Reasons why I am upset:
    * I don't appreciate that the police have broadcasted the fact Ben and
    I have 1000s of $ of guns stored at our homes. The police ran our
    gun's serial #s over their public radios. Thieves target homes for
    jewelry and guns.
    Invalid.
    * I don't appreciate being 'criminalized' in the public eye by the
    image of cop cars with sirens on at our land when we haven't done
    anything wrong (our land is just off of a busy road where the LEOs parked there cars).
    The police are not there for your appreciation. They are responding to calls for service. Should they ignore all gunfire reports because YOU may be out there shooting?
    * Despite their professionalism, I don't appreciate the embarrassment of being questioned and detained by police is to my friends.
    Why would you be embarrassed? I see that as a personal issue, not one for the police.

I told my parents, who are ok with guns but not avid shooters that this is the same thing as:
    1) The cops asking for receipts every time they unload merchandise at
    the family store because someone says it "might" be stolen.
    2) My brother being repeatedly pulled over because someone tells the police that since his car has sporty wheels they believe it might also have illegal engine parts.

You are wrong.

And I suspect you are not near as pro police as you would have us believe, but that is another issue.

You are always free to refuse permission to search your things. If the police do so anyway, do not interfere. It will give you grounds for a complaint if there actions are not supported by law though. Once you give permission you have no complaint.

And you should be careful what you post; I doubt that you have an AK47, which is a select fire assault rifle capable of full auto fire.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Ok silly question...
    Canyons?
    I know Texas does not have many but echos will cause the sound effect of Full Auto fire.

I have had LEO called out to my place when there are 5 or 6 of us shooting the AR's
    and it sounds like WW3.

That could be the whole issue.

Also, invite them out to shoot with you.
    Nothing better than having LEO's as friends

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Hey GGR,

Here is one of the biggest problems, people in small towns are bored. Some of them have nothing better to do than call the law when they hear shooting. And some of those people just don't like shooting, so they make the call. Also, some of them wouldn't know full auto compared to semi-auto if you showed them.

The officers that have come out to my property told me that if a call is made, then they must respond. It is the neighbors calling, and they know it is me, but they still must come. The officers just told me with a safe backstop and during daylight, there is nothing they can do about it. If you fire more than a couple shots, they know that you aren't poaching.

I recommend you just shoot more often. The neighbors will get used to it and the law will quit coming. Problem solved.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Sounds like GBR's property is near either Dallas, Austin, or Houston, and that the Sheriff's troops have little to keep themselves busy and are a herd of city slicker, liberal loonies who could answer the calls from the nutcases complaining by saying,
    "Those people who are shooting are on their own property, which is perfectly legal and we have already checked them and the situation out there is no problem, thank you" !!!!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    "Those people who are shooting are on their own property, which is perfectly legal and we have already checked them and the situation out there is no problem, thank you" !!!!

That is fine if the police checked them "this time". But if it is another occurrence then they must investigate.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    TI is right! They are doing their job. Would you want them to disregard all "shots being fired" reports? You're not calling to ask permission to shoot, you're being courteous to the local LEA so that they know what is going on. And they can just ride past without stopping or pull up without their lights and sirens.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The best thing to do is to let the cops know that since it's your land, and it's legal to shoot on it, you intend to do so. Follow that up with a call to the Sheriff, and explain that while you appreciate their concern, an unconfirmed report of "full automatic" rifle fire does not give them grounds to enter and search your property without a search warrant. That's the key here - they are reacting to reports from untrained persons and using that as a "reason" to gain access to private property....which in my mind is a major issue.
    Now, be polite, diplomatic and professional as you talk w/the Sheriff. Remember how YOU would feel if you were the reporting party or the officers involved - but be firm.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I use my property as a shooting range all the time. Luckily I have no close neighbors, and the ones I do have don't mind. But if I was in your situation I would continue to shoot. I would not call the sheriff beforehand because I see no reason to notify anyone before I perform a legal activity on my own property. If the police showed up, i would politely but firmly insist on seeing a warrant before they searched anything.
    Maybe they should have a talk with the person making the reports about the difference between full auto and rapid fire.

Top Bottom