Gun Zone Deals

Seeking "Assault Weapon" & "Cop Killer Bullet" Ban ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Southwest
    This is the text of an email I just sent an informal group that I keep updated on Second Amendment Issues. I thought it might be of interest to the faithful here.

"This time the excuse is the problems in Mexico. Of course, corruption within the Mexican military, police and government would play no role in this. I wonder if that’s just too close to the corrupt Chicago politics that spawned this lying punk who is now President? I don’t know about you, but I am more than upset at seeing my rights as an American being eroded by the illegal actions of foreign criminals.

What are the bastards going to define “cop killer bullets” as: armor piercing or expanding? Will they set a velocity threshold? Who can say? Do not expect either of these to be either “fair” or “right”.
    Their ultimate goal is the disarming of the US citizen. Never forget that and never doubt it.

Those who claim to believe in the Second Amendment and somehow think that Obama and his ilk won’t try and disarm us are deluding themselves.

Here’s the link: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=6960824&page=2

Here’s the copied & pasted text:

Attorney General Says White House Also Looking at Ban on 'Cop-Killer' Bullets
    By JASON RYAN
    WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

Inform everyone you know of this and ask that they contact their elected officials. In previous emails I sent you different methods of contacting your representatives and senators. Just in case it got lost, here’s the link again:

http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

Will you do your part? Please don’t count on others to carry your end of the load.

Stephen A. Camp"

Best.
    Texas SOT

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just when I think it's safe to start paying my debt down quicker, stuff like this just reassures me that all my extra money is better spent buying guns and ammo. ;)

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Just when I think it's safe to start paying my debt down quicker, stuff like this just reassures me that all my extra money is better spent buying guns and ammo. ;)

Some of the smartest financial minds I know (and they are perty smart ) say that right now is a bad time to pay down debt. Right now is the time to get in as much debt as you possibly can. I don't know how I feel about that, but since I personally doubt that our money is going to be worth the paper it is printed on within a few months it might not be that bad of a suggestion.

Anyway...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Southwest
    Just in...

Here’s the link: TheHill.com - Pelosi tosses cold water on assault-weapon ban

Here’s the text:

Pelosi tosses cold water on assault-weapon ban
    By Mike Soraghan
    Posted: 02/26/09 11:59 AM [ET]

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats’ reluctance to take on gun issues.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat “no” when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.

“On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,” Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. “I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that.”

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don’t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

The White House declined to comment on Holder's remarks, referring reporters to the Department of Justice. The DoJ did not respond to The Hill's request for comment.

I think that she’s more upset at not being in the loop than what she said. I hope that I am wrong and that democrats are afraid “to take on gun issues”. The sad part is that that they should want to take on gun issues. They should be supporting the Second Amendment and protecting the US Constitution rather than trying to erode it.

Stephen A. Camp

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The funny part of the whole Mexico angle is, they've been using all kinds of weapons down there for over 100 years. When AK's were available, they had them by the rack full.

The way Mexican Law Enforcement operates is the way it has for longer than any of us have been around. It won't change. They'll use Winchester carbine's or AK's or AR-15's. They'll do the same thing, using whatever weapons they can get.

And the "cop killer bullet" issue? WTF are they? If a .22 short can kill a human, aren't they then a "Cop Killer" as well? And the elusive "Gun show loophole" that they never do define?

It's the same old game, write laws that restrict lawful citezens and ignore the fact that problems that speak of are done by those already breaking laws. They won't stop because there's a new law.

I'm not so worried about this coming to fruition, but law makers need to hear voices nonetheless.

95P38RR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Midland
    “On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,” Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. “I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that.”

How did the Bush administration not do that? lol What a dumb Nazi Pelosi.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    In the Anti's eyes any round that will penetrate a policeman's vest is a "cop killer." It doesn't have to come from an EBR either. This should be a wakeup call to the hunter as well as the sport shooter. Madam speaker still remembers what happened in 1994 after they passed the first ban. She does not want to jeopardize their new found majority right now.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I think the the "gun show" loophole is private transfer.

My favorite part is were Pelosi says he didn't talk to her about it. . . . . I just hope my parts get here before they get their gumption on a new AWB.

I think that is the Democrat's default position is to blame Bush. They don't have any other line. It got old about five years ago, though I don't think they will stop using it for the next couple decades.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I only hope they wait another few years before attempting it (hopefully they never do though) so I have at least a little time to buy some more stuff.

thehemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Texas
    After Clinton, it looks like Obama is going to be the best gun salesman.

Obama sold me! Several times, so far.

Drugs are illegal and yet we have a huge drug trafficking problem.
    Why would making assault weapons illegal mean that they won't be
    able to get their hands on guns? I really don't see the logic, but I
    should not be surprised since it's not an argument based on logic.

Gonyea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    MCB Quantico
    Before i begin please allow me to explain that I am a Republican- U.S. Marine that works at HMX-1 that being said I do not want to start a 1st am battle either
    But please show our current President the respect he deserves as President of the United States of America, I hated it so much when people would Bash and slander former President Bush and i'm sure you all did as well... This is a quote from Abe Lincoln..."Endeavor to Persevere".

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Before i begin please allow me to explain that I am a Republican- U.S. Marine that works at HMX-1 that being said I do not want to start a 1st am battle either
    But please show our current President the respect he deserves as President of the United States of America, I hated it so much when people would Bash and slander former President Bush and i'm sure you all did as well... This is a quote from Abe Lincoln..."Endeavor to Persevere".

Thanks for your service. :patriot:

Now please don't take this the wrong way. I respect the office. Personally, I hope Obama succeeds in bringing this country back out of the recession it's in. I only ever wish success for any presidency as the alternative generally means a failure of not only the presidency, but the country as well. Liberals are usually the exact opposite and generally seem to wish failure of politicians that aren't on "their" side. Now, I have my reservations as to what the current administration's definition of "success" is, though hopefully I'm proved wrong. Furthermore, IMO respect is earned. The current President has only been in office a little over a month, so I think he has a ways to go before earning our full respect. Please don't take that to mean that I currently "disrespect" him until he's earned my respect. I simply feel neutral until things play themselves out.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Respect for someone that merely has a title is the same mindset behind tyrannical monarchies. Obama is a paid employee of this country, he should respect us for allowing him the position, and he should act on the will of the country.

He serves us ... not the other way around. In the military it's different, but this isn't the military. As was said before, he has to prove himself before respect is garnered, but on the same token it's asinine to wish failure on someone with so much control over the country.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Respect for someone that merely has a title is the same mindset behind tyrannical monarchies. Obama is a paid employee of this country, he should respect us for allowing him the position, and he should act on the will of the country.

He serves us ... not the other way around. In the military it's different, but this isn't the military. As was said before, he has to prove himself before respect is garnered, but on the same token it's asinine to wish failure on someone with so much control over the country.

Well said Texas1911. He does serve us. Its "WE THE PEOPLE", not we the government. liberals never will get my respect president or not.

etex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    So Americans should surrender their rights to"have a positive impact in Mexico, at a
    minimum," to quote Mr. Holder. That statement shows how much this administration respects the sovereignty of the U.S. and it's citizens,they don't!

Gonyea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    MCB Quantico
    Hopefully this term will be what strengthens the Republican party enough for us to really accomplish alot four years from now I will gladly say that this current administration is going to cut our military to shreds to fuel an inept social work program...
    I was not saying that you need to respect a single person or support his positions or policies or any one man who you disagree with... but the fact remains that number one We allowed him to get elected by failing as a party. Number two whether or not you like has nothing to do with respect for a title yes he serves us but he still the President of the United States and the Title deserves respect not the man because he is just a man.
    Keep in mind I work for the White House Military Office, so i see things that an every day Marine does not.

Top Bottom