• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

This afternoon, 22MAR20, I "fell heir to" a 1972 TERRY bass boat, which has no OB motor.

That hull needs at least 50 HP but should not be operated with more than 75 HP.

IF you have such an OMC Outboard Motor that is COMPLETE with the controls & that is "surplus to your needs", PLEASE email me at: texasnative46@gmail.com with photos & your cash price.

yours, satx
    San Antonio, TX
    Lynx Defense

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have a Johnson 48hp I think it is from around that period. I have a steering assembly and cables too somewhere.
    The motor ran when it came off about 10 years ago. I'm sure it needs a carb rebuild and water pump by now.
    If you are interested, make me a reasonable offer.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To ALL,

I talked to a fellow, who was in the boat business for a long time years ago, this AM & "Ralph W______" said that I really need at least 60HP to properly power that hull.

His comment was, "A TERRY ARISTOCRAT is a really GREAT 'old-school bassboat' but they are 'just a little heavier than the Queen Mary.' You really need at least 60 HP & not more than 80 HP to properly power it."
    PAUSE
    "If it was mine, I'd look for a 75 horse Johnson or Evinrude."

yours, satx

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I think he's judging it by today's standards. Bass boats started getting really big motors back in the late 80's early 90's it seems.

I had a 74 Del Magie foam filled tri hull combination boat (much heavier than your bass boat). It came with a 70 horse Johnson and did just fine. I put one of those fins on the motor to help it plane out faster, but it worked.

I'd bed that boat only came with around 50hp originally, and unless you're in some big hurry to get somewhere, staying around 50 should be fine.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    F350-6,

The Terry Aristocrat, as a BARE HULL, weighs 835 pounds, W/O any seats, carpeting, fuel tank, steering & other equipment.

The OMCA data plate says a max of 75HP.

One nice thing about NOT being "an expert" is that I can unashamedly ask other people, who know more than I do, about "stuff" that I know ZILCH about.
    (Up to now, I've owned exactly ONE bass-boat, a long/skinny/flat-bottomed 14' Crusader from 1966 that weighed about 400#, fished 2 people comfortably "in the LA back bayous" & that ran fine with a "Big-Twin" Johnson 35.)

As you've doubtless guessed, I'm NOT a bass fisherman. = In my 73 years, I've caught exactly ONE big black bass, 11 pounds, 4 ounces & caught on a BIG goldfish, while fishing for flat-head cats.

Tying up in a "stump farm" or flooded treetops & fishing for crappie & catfish is more my speed

yours, satx

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I don't remember what my old boat weighed, but it was heavy. I'd guess a 50hp would get you between 20 and 25 mph with that boat, which is usually just fine for a lazy day fishing.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I remember those. They are fairly heavy and not fast no matter what motor you put on them. There is a wing you can put on the motor to help them plane faster but they slow it down overall. On older boats like that, they are worth the money no matter what size motor you put on it.
    Technology was not that advanced back then and it is a step up from a jon boat but heavier. It is more stable than one but not but a lot. And they are not very fast. They don't plane well without a wing on the motor and the ride is harsh on rough water.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I remember those. They are fairly heavy and not fast no matter what motor you put on them. There is a wing you can put on the motor to help them plane faster but they slow it down overall. On older boats like that, they are worth the money no matter what size motor you put on it.
    Technology was not that advanced back then and it is a step up from a jon boat but heavier. It is more stable than one but not but a lot. And they are not very fast. They don't plane well without a wing on the motor and the ride is harsh on rough water.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    jrbfishn,

AGREED 100%. = The MAIN strength of an "old school" boat like a TERRY ARISTOCRAT is how strong they are AND how stable they are "at anchor", which is GREAT for crappie/cat fishing. = IF you hit something HARD with one (like a semi-submerged >2 foot in diameter log at 25-30 MPH, which I have done on CADDO LAKE & on BLOODY BAYOU in south LA) , it probably will only knock off some paint but NOT destroy the hull/motor(presuming that the OB is not "locked down"):..

"Ralph", who used to work for DELHI in LA, said to expect 30-35MPH with a 75HP OB.

Perhaps 50HP is ENOUGH for my "low tech" purposes.

THANKS, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    More than likely.

jrbfishn,

IF you often fish the "stump farms" & bayous of east TX/south LA, you KNOW to NOT "lock down" your OB, lest you take the transom out on a log/stump.

"Hot-rodders" don't live long running HOT in such water, as in a "candidate for the Darwin Awards"

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    jrbfishn,

I suspected that.
    (See, my crystal ball is working today.)

Actually, since you didn't make fun of my comments about a VERY strong hull VS. log/stump AND knew about "bat wings" for OB motors, tells me you know about that problem.

BTW, the guy who "invented" the "bat wing" for OBs was from Shreveport, LA & he was trying to get this own boat (made of cypress planks) to "get on plane" quicker.

yours, satx

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Bayous and marshes around that area are where I first fell in love with fishing and shooting. I still love the area around there, just not the cities.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The two best days in the life of a boater. The day he buys a boat, and the day he sells that boat!

I have owned a few boats over the years. I traded my last one about six years ago, for a decent riding mower.

It needed a U joint in the outdrive unit. So it went to the back burner for projects.

I told my wife if I ever thought about getting another boat, for her to have me committed!

Top Bottom