• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omnitool

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Interested in learning more in regard to .45 gap Glock models 37, 38, 39 (38, 39 prefer) as compared to .45 auto Glocks 21, 30, 36, any pertinate info
    Lynx Defense

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The round is slightly softer than .45 ACP, but it was designed to replace the need for a large frame gun (ie. G21). Ultimately the choice comes down to how well the models fit in your hand compared to the larger .45 ACP models. I personally would suggest .45 ACP since it is widely available. .45 GAP is not a popular caliber, and can be hard to find at times. If you reload for it, the major difference is that the .45 GAP takes a small pistol primer versus the large pistol primer in .45 ACP.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    45 gap is a dying cartridge.Not popular anymore.Would rather have a 45 acp.The glocks and XDs that shoot the 45 gap are really cheap right now.They do not seem to sell that much anymore.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Even Glock is giving up on the .45GAP with the "SF" .45ACP pistols in their lineup now.

It was a brute-force solution to a problem that the "SF" concept addresses more elegantly - make the grip smaller to accomodate the .45ACP round with a profile closer to 9mm as opposed to making the round a few millimeters shorter and claiming that new powders make it equivalent to .45ACP.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Pretty much what everyone else has said, the round never real caught on. Was a attempt by Glock to meet a need that was better served by a modification to their 45 ACP size frames while getting a vanity catridge with their name on it. There are folks who like having the smaller frame size though, thing is the upper is still larger then the rest of the glock small frames. Only nice thing about them is that Glock gave them all a little more rounded profile on the slide edges and stuff ala the G26.

If you find the G17/G19/G26 comfortable or just on the edge of your comfortzone for grip feel and control then the 45 GAP guns may be better for you then the G21/G30 SF models. Just be prepared to turn into a 45 GAP brass whore and hope you reload.

I've fired all three, and owned them at one point or another in the last two years through various horse trading. I found them a little too snappy for my taste when compared to the 45 ACP 21 and 30. With that and the scaricity of ammo and now reloading components, I let them go in trades for other things.

malladus

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've got a G21 and I can't imagine a .45 GAP being anywhere near the shooter. The G21 shoots like a friggen dream. If that's too much for someone, then a 9mm may be better suited for them.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I've got a G21 and I can't imagine a .45 GAP being anywhere near the shooter. The G21 shoots like a friggen dream. If that's too much for someone, then a 9mm may be better suited for them.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have sold my G21 to that guy in that parking lot last year...

Top Bottom