• Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Been looking at the Colorado. Let us know how you like it
    I started with the obvious: Ford , Chevy, and dodge. I was kind of done with Nissan. They make a reliable gas truck, I was just ready to move on. It was time for my divorce with Nissan lol.

I did a lot of homework this go around and after researching not just specs, I read a lot of consumer reports. I wanted a truck with a good payload and mpg rating. I don’t tow much but payload is important. The Colorado is in a weird weight class. It’s still light but it’s got the same payload as my old first gen Titan. I found the consumer reports to be telling. Number one was Honda but...that ridge line is a joke. The fact is between 2015 and 2018 I believe, I was finding more negative reports on ford, and dodge was just ugly. Nissan had more than Chevy. I thought let’s try a Chevy. The only Chevy trucks I ever owned were a 1980 luv and this Colorado. I honestly feel a luv vibe with this truck. That’s a good thing. I always wanted a luv or Izusu diesel and feel I got the modern equivalent! I guess this truck is satisfying an old desire never filled. I got off work today at noon, called classic Chevy in grapevine and said I need a new work truck. Their site didn’t have this one listed yet. I get there and they put a cpo warranty on it and reduced the price to under 29. I was like sold dude. I couldn’t find a diesel canyon or Colorado anywhere.

It handles and drives nice. The diesel accelerates nicely. They definitely put a beefy drive line in it. The interior is well made but the handles on the seats are pretty piss poor. Storage is lacking. No real usable storage on the door panels but the rear seat does come with storage underneath. The pros outweigh the cons so far.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I started with the obvious: Ford , Chevy, and dodge. I was kind of done with Nissan. They make a reliable gas truck, I was just ready to move on. It was time for my divorce with Nissan lol.

I did a lot of homework this go around and after researching not just specs, I read a lot of consumer reports. I wanted a truck with a good payload and mpg rating. I don’t tow much but payload is important. The Colorado is in a weird weight class. It’s still light but it’s got the same payload as my old first gen Titan. I found the consumer reports to be telling. Number one was Honda but...that ridge line is a joke. The fact is between 2015 and 2018 I believe, I was finding more negative reports on ford, and dodge was just ugly. Nissan had more than Chevy. I thought let’s try a Chevy. The only Chevy trucks I ever owned were a 1980 luv and this Colorado. I honestly feel a luv vibe with this truck. That’s a good thing. I always wanted a luv or Izusu diesel and feel I got the modern equivalent! I guess this truck is satisfying an old desire never filled. I got off work today at noon, called classic Chevy in grapevine and said I need a new work truck. Their site didn’t have this one listed yet. I get there and they put a cpo warranty on it and reduced the price to under 29. I was like sold dude. I couldn’t find a diesel canyon or Colorado anywhere.

It handles and drives nice. The diesel accelerates nicely. They definitely put a beefy drive line in it. The interior is well made but the handles on the seats are pretty piss poor. Storage is lacking. No real usable storage on the door panels but the rear seat does come with storage underneath. The pros outweigh the cons so far.
    I believe the small Duramax is still the Isuzu design, but I could be wrong. I do know for certain that GM completely redesigned the big one in 17.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I put miles on my 2015 Duramax today hauling grandkids around to wherever they wanted to go. Close to 200, mostly freeway. I like the idea of the Colorado but it just won't do what I want. I got 17.4 MPG and I'll pay the premium to be able to haul my 15.5k toyhauler when I want to. MPG isn't everything. PS: Rides like a hay wagon with a broke spring when unloaded.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I put miles on my 2015 Duramax today hauling grandkids around to wherever they wanted to go. Close to 200, mostly freeway. I like the idea of the Colorado but it just won't do what I want. I got 17.4 MPG and I'll pay the premium to be able to haul my 15.5k toyhauler when I want to. MPG isn't everything. PS: Rides like a hay wagon with a broke spring when unloaded.
    If I had toys like yours I would get a bigger truck lol but the reality is I don’t tow much. Maybe 4 or 5k when needed. My Titan sucked gas like Rosie O’Donnell inhales meals. I have a 35 plus minute commute to work, I mostly just need a bed to transport crates to vendors from time to time. Mostly going to Denton. Boooo. Jumping from 14 mpg to 27 is a drastic leap. All my trucks have made money in some level. Towing isn’t everything but I think this is a practical truck for me.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    So far the mileage calculation is great. In city got a high of 23.1 I’ll see if I can’t beat 27 at higher speeds.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    So far I love this truck. The only negative I’m not thrilled about is how it handles def. I’m sure no surprise to you long time diesel guys. I’m going to call def princess fluid.

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    So far I love this truck. The only negative I’m not thrilled about is how it handles def. I’m sure no surprise to you long time diesel guys. I’m going to call def princess fluid.
    My Dirtymax has an 8 gallon DEF tank that usually lasts me a couple months. No idea what size tank is on the small one.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Can someone explain to me what the advantage of a diesel truck is over a gasoline truck?

Efficiency, in one of several ways.

Towing capacity is generally what most think of when it comes to the diesel. That mainly comes from high torque delivered earlier. Mated to a beefier transmission and driveline, makes for a heavier combination, requiring a beefier frame and suspension which, all together provides for more hauling capacity.

Fuel efficiency is another advantage. Gas motors will deliver more hp earlier, diesel more torque. A smaller diesel can be used to deliver equivalent perceived performance with better fuel economy.

These benefits have really been exploited with the common rail injectors and ECUs. The trade off is oil capacity (diesels require more oil than gas) and some sort of method to deal with emissions. Today, that’s mostly done with a Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) injection system.

There used to be tax credits for high efficiency diesels. I think those ended in 2014 or so.

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Can someone explain to me what the advantage of a diesel truck is over a gasoline truck?
    There is more energy in a molecule of diesel than in a molecule of gasoline. The auto industry has recently started putting as much efficiency engineering efforts into diesels as they do cars. For example, I have a full size, crew cab, long bed, 4X4 that averages 23 mpg on the highway compared to 12 on the short bed gas model I had before. My Gross vehicle weight rating is 10,000lbs, and my towing capacity is 18,000 pounds. DEF is a real pain, but the mileage more than makes up for it. My oil changes do cost 50% more, but I can go twice as far between changes. There is a huge price difference between them, but I travel, tow, and haul enough to make it beneficial.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Dp, after having all gas trucks and now being into one, I still don’t view a huge advantage in favor of diesel. In fact now that I own one, I feel gas still has some advantages. If someone is pinching pennies, 1.80 vs 2.41 is a big difference. On the flip side my mileage is crazy for a truck. Operating cost is still higher in a diesel; fuel and a number of things to focus on for preventative maintenance. Gas has its clear advantages. But how big are those advantages? I will find out.

I have no problem admitting I got this truck as a cool factor but still focusing on the core reasons I wanted. I probably will never have a need for a big diesel. Hell, I didn’t use my Titan to it’s full potential. Yet a car can’t work for my work or lifestyle. All I know is this little pickup puts a shit eating grin on my face. Amazing mpg, good payload, good torque, more than enough to tow my light duty needs. I will say in the small pickup class it’s wonderful.

Top Bottom