Patriot Mobile

Seen the prices at the Bullet Trap? Jeez louise....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    Are there any ranges where you pay an annual membership fee and don't have to worry about range fees every time you go in the DFW area?

Back in Massachusetts, I pay an initial membership fee of $150, plus annual dues of $100, and get to shoot any day of the year for free. It seems like every one of the ranges I've looked at here in DFW charge an hourly fee whether you're a member or not.

Sorry I just saw this, Parker County Sportsman Club is just like that. $70 dollars a year plus $50 dollar initiation fee for the first year for a family membership. For an extra $50 dollars a year, you can get a guest membership that allows you to take a non member guest with you. Your membership also allows you access to a private boat ramp on Lake Weatherford if you like fishing or just hanging out on the water.
    Target Sports

Economist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Sorry I just saw this, Parker County Sportsman Club is just like that. $70 dollars a year plus $50 dollar initiation fee for the first year for a family membership. For an extra $50 dollars a year, you can get a guest membership that allows you to take a non member guest with you. Your membership also allows you access to a private boat ramp on Lake Weatherford if you like fishing or just hanging out on the water.

Not a bad deal...although $50/year just to be able to bring a guest seems a bit silly...

rgriffin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dallas
    I've only shot at Bullet Trap twice. Neither time left me with negative impressions of their establishment. The last time I shot at Target Masters the range was in such disrepair it wasn't funny. More than half of the target arms in the pistol range didn't work and only about 3 of the lights worked. The trash that was built up almost to the range table. I expressed my distaste to management and they basically said if I didn't like it I could leave. Due to the disrepair of the ranges and their attitudes toward their customers, I have not been back

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    Wow, rgriffin, that's almost the opposite experience I've had at both ranges. I left Bullet Trap (the one time I went) feeling like I spent way too much money for what I got, and as though the staff was a little pompous.
    TargetMaster's ranges were under repair when I first went as well but are all in working order and well-lit now. I've never seen range trash piled up to the range table, either. I've always had very pleasant and friendly conversations with every staff member there and often go in just to browse and chat, not even to go shoot.

SIG-SOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    DFW
    Have not been anywhere except BT. Bought my P229 there and wife bought PX4 there. Jason spent about 3 hours helping us with our selection - very interesting and knowledgable. These were our first purchases. We go each week, its close and convenient. Recently upgraded their range I think - new ventilation system I mean. Lighting can be poor at times. Never had any issues with people working there. Went in once to buy a .40 drop in barrel, not long after they replaced the floors, guy spent 20 minutes looking for that one barrel for me because they had rearranged everything. Ammo aint cheap, but you also wouldn't buy gas at a racetrack would you?
    Anyway, I guess it all depends. If you are respectful you get it back.
    Last week you couldn't get in the door of the place. But, the ranges are never full when I go either Fri or Sat night. They keep the brass swept up pretty good too and run off the riff raff. YMMV.

Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    The point is that their well stocked ammo and guns are ridiculously HIGH and their employees egomaniacal and uncaring about their customers.

Actually the point is you had a bad experience(and won't go back) and I had a great experience( and will go back). Matter of fact I did today.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    It all depends on what you want to do. Try practicing shooting from a holster. Try doing double-taps. Try using ammo with lead bullets (which 90% of unsponsored action shooters do). Try shooting most anything bigger than a .44 Mag.

flashguy

Nestromo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Watauga, TX
    I went to BT one time. Maybe it's my long haired hippie redneck demeanor but the guy was a real jerk. Yes, I get it, if I shoot your stick it will cost me $20. they had a 1rd/sec rule and the range officer came in to my rifle lane and told me "2 seconds between rounds guys". I was shooting plenty slow and making 3/4 inch groups at the end of their short little lane. Come on.

This was the only range that I have ever not liked. I will say that I saw some pistols with really good prices on them.

Drs2288

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I go to shooters club off 28th in FT worth to shoot the 9mm. When i became a member i think it was like $20 to join and $9 for 2 hours (indoor range)

Nestromo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Watauga, TX
    I go to shooters club off 28th in FT worth to shoot the 9mm. When i became a member i think it was like $20 to join and $9 for 2 hours (indoor range)

I have gone there probably 3 dozen times. The main irritating thing is showing up and finding new hours posted and having to go back home (or to the taqueria next door which is awesome). Like c'mon guys... update your website. The staff is friendly. If you are not in one of the good lanes your target will sway a bit. Summer time it is hot. The price is right. I'm a member but I'm pretty sure current pricing is $10/2 hours. I have stuck around shooting rimfire for 4 hours before and noone has bothered me. Of course if there are folks waiting I'm sure it would be a different story but I have only seen that once.

Drs2288

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I know what you mean, I went by a week or 2 ago in the morning to see a sign thats said "new hours" noon to 6, it does get frustrating

bno762

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Rowlett
    I've shot at Target Masters and BT for the past few years. I had a bad experience with one of the staff a few years ago, but don't hold it against them. I stick with Garland Public range nowadays though. Those guys are easy to get along with and I haven't ever had anyone say anything to me about drawing from a holster or practicing double taps. Also helps that GPR is about 5 minutes up the road for me.

I do gotta give TM and BT props- They are 2 of quite a few ranges that actually answered my e-mails about letting me bring flyers up for the "2nd Amendment March".

kbt1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    I shoot at BT once in awhile. I got yelled at for shooting too rapidly once which I found comical. I bought a gun from them once because my time was limited and they were the only place for 40 miles that was open and had what I wanted. The prices on guns and ammo are way to high to take seriously otherwise. Their special order policy is retarded. I just bring my own ammo, eyes, ears and targets and plunk down my $17 every now and then. If there was somewhere in the NT area more convenient, I'd ditch in a heartbeat. One good thing is they stock some accessories and mags and stuff for a convenience situation. I get my SD ammo at Gun Shows but my practice bullets at Academy or Wally World.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    I think garland public range is still only $10 to join and $10 to shoot plus the membership is good at eagle peak range in leander ,tx but dont try to pick up any brass there or you will getthe boot!

Garland range is always awesome. Their RO's are always reasonable....even when some shooter's being a dick. I've seen them bend over backwards to be professional. At the Trap (well named, IMO), rudeness is the corporate culture.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    That's a bit harsh I like Bullet Trap. I've been there many times to buy and shoot. Yea the ammo is high but it is at all ranges. The place is well stocked with accesories and guns.

I guess everyone has a bad experience at some point, no matter where you go. I have no problem recommending BT.

If it was every once in a while or a random occurrence, then I'd brush it off to some guy that works there having a bad day.....it happens. But, the last 3 times I went there, some douche bag tells me i'm shooting too fast. I tried twice to remind him that: A. I wasn't double tapping OR shooting quickly and B. There were 10 other shooters in there with me all shooting at the same time....oF COURSE it sounds like someone's shooting too fast when you have 10 people shooting at once!

Not to mention that fact that I have several students a year mention something negative about them.....

That's not someone having a random bad experience. That's a serious indication of them having a continual problem.

Bottom line is this: They will always make some money becuase there aren't that many ranges/gun stores around. It just pisses me off to think of how much money they COULD be making, how much fun their customers COULD be having, and how many new/semi-new shooters COULD be having a positvie experience.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    Actually the point is you had a bad experience(and won't go back) and I had a great experience( and will go back). Matter of fact I did today.

If that was my point, then that is what i would have started this thread with. But it wasn't, so I didn't.

Of course we shouldn't buy ammo at a range as a rule....but on occassion, people forget their ammo or want to shoot some more after their personal stash is exausted. And, by the way, if you rent one of their guns, you HAVE to buy their ammo.....yeah, yeah, I get them wanting to ensure that you don't use some crazy reloaded junk ammo in their rentals. But that doesn't mean they should bend us over with their ammo prices.

I'm happy you had a good experience and want you to enjoy your time there, so please continue to go.

I just wanted to mention my original point so that others can log it in their memory and weigh it with their experience.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    We shoot at the B.T. about once a month and have been members for about three years. We have bought three pistols from them, all fairly reasonably priced. The only local gun seller that may be cheaper is Academy but only if they happen to have what you are looking for. They don't special order.The people working at the B.T. have never been unreasonavle or rude to me or any of our many friends that shoot there. I never rent pistols or buy ammo there. I got more pistols than I need and know better than to buy ammo at a gun range.
    If you like overpriced guns know it all clerks, go to Gun Masters in Plano to get your quota of abuse. I've been there about four times with the same result. Enough said about them.
    We tried to go to the Garland public range once on a weekend but it was so crowded that we had a hard time just finding a parking place. We left and went to the B.T.
    We went to Target Masters in Garland once and really liked it but it's just too far to drive from our house to be practical. Their setup is not really all that different than the B.T. anyway.
    The B.T. is what it is, a indoor range that has to have some regulation considering the large amount of amatuer shooters in a comfined area. If you let a bunch of beginner shooters practice their quick draw, gansta style, and fast shooting someone is going to get hurt or killed. They can't dfferentiate a new shooter from a experienced shooter to make special allowances.
    The B. T. has recently been remodeled and the ventilation is much better than it used to be.
    We live in N.W. Frisco. When we moved here ten years ago there was the Backwoods Trap five minutes from my back door. That place was a great outdoor range and I sure do miss it. It had a good rifle range, skeet and trap shooting also, even a fishing lake. You could back your car right up to your shooting lane which was very convenient. Progress did away with it.
    Then we started going to the Collin County Gun Range in McKinney. Another, sorta run down, but fun, outdoor range. A liberal judge did away with it.
    That's when we started going to the B.T. What it lacks in some areas it makes up in others. It is what it is, which ain't all that bad, IMHO.

Alex23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    NTX
    We shoot at the B.T. about once a month and have been members for about three years. We have bought three pistols from them, all fairly reasonably priced. The only local gun seller that may be cheaper is Academy but only if they happen to have what you are looking for. They don't special order.The people working at the B.T. have never been unreasonavle or rude to me or any of our many friends that shoot there. I never rent pistols or buy ammo there. I got more pistols than I need and know better than to buy ammo at a gun range.
    If you like overpriced guns know it all clerks, go to Gun Masters in Plano to get your quota of abuse. I've been there about four times with the same result. Enough said about them.
    We tried to go to the Garland public range once on a weekend but it was so crowded that we had a hard time just finding a parking place. We left and went to the B.T.
    We went to Target Masters in Garland once and really liked it but it's just too far to drive from our house to be practical. Their setup is not really all that different than the B.T. anyway.
    The B.T. is what it is, a indoor range that has to have some regulation considering the large amount of amatuer shooters in a comfined area. If you let a bunch of beginner shooters practice their quick draw, gansta style, and fast shooting someone is going to get hurt or killed. They can't dfferentiate a new shooter from a experienced shooter to make special allowances.
    The B. T. has recently been remodeled and the ventilation is much better than it used to be.
    We live in N.W. Frisco. When we moved here ten years ago there was the Backwoods Trap five minutes from my back door. That place was a great outdoor range and I sure do miss it. It had a good rifle range, skeet and trap shooting also, even a fishing lake. You could back your car right up to your shooting lane which was very convenient. Progress did away with it.
    Then we started going to the Collin County Gun Range in McKinney. Another, sorta run down, but fun, outdoor range. A liberal judge did away with it.
    That's when we started going to the B.T. What it lacks in some areas it makes up in others. It is what it is, which ain't all that bad, IMHO.

I have to agree with this.

I am wondering what exactly happened to the OP?

BP is what it is. I shoot there fairly regularly. I have found most of the people perfectly polite and reasonable. One person was disparaging about one of my firearms but being an adult with a thick skin that didn't really bother me. Ammo at ranges is expensive - no point getting wild-eyed over it when you can run down to wally mart or academy. I've bought a few guns there, and I paid perhaps $20-30 more than internet prices for the convenience factor.

All in all I'd have to say it is not a bad place really. I've got no affiliation with the place though and would love to hear about alternatives in the North Dallas area. I've been to Garland and it is a bit of a drive for me, especially at rush hour. It's nice but not worth the effort for me personally.

Alex

Top Bottom