APOD Firearms

Seismic High Mass Ammunition - legit or gimmick?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    So I saw an article or twenty about some ammo that was debuted at Shot Show 2019, about a 9mm round (apparently also going to be made in .45 and 12 gauge) that weighs in at 185 gr and fires at 950 fps from a 4.5 inch Glock barrel, does 16" of bare penetration with good expansion and has a strange two part casing that's some steel alloy and an aluminum base. Not sure but it seems a bit gimmicky to me. I'm not super fond of steel casing ammo, and I certainly don't feel much trust in a two piece casing with questionable pressures to get that heavy of a slug down a short barrel. What do you guys think?
    ARJ Defense ad

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Well... you got my curiosity up. After looking at the website, it does not have any red flags for me.
    It is not something you would ever confuse with “range ammo”. That begs the question, is it something I could live without... yes.
    It looks expensive. Do I want to find out if it offers something that I don’t get with other? Not really.
    Would I shoot a box of it. Sure!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Definitely peaks my interest...will hold judgement until we see some test results, as mentioned above.

At the end of the day I think it’s a good thing when folks think outside the box.

There doesn’t seem to have been any real innovation in bullet designs in quite some time...just evolutionary progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Just saw that vid on In Range. They've got pretty good bullshit detectors and didn't pan it. I wouldn't use it. Too many good, proven rounds out there.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Too many good, proven rounds out there.

True, but at the same time there's a reason why we have those rounds instead of just lead round nose rounds, or just black powder rounds, or just round balls and some loose powder that we have to pour down the muzzle. Just because something is proven to work well, doesn't mean that it can't be improved on. Innovation is a good thing. The question as to whether or not this specific thing is worthwhile is up for debate, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it just because there's "too many good, proven rounds out there".

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I got a little triggered when they gave a mathematical equation for “knockdown power”.

I laughed when they described the cases as self lubricating.

I really don’t think they offer anything meaningful over what is currently available. They took a 2 piece case concept that got some attention last year but afaik never really went anywhere in the market. Combined it with a “neva been do bee foe” heavy bullet even though heavy for caliber bullets have been available to hand loaders for a good long while (ex: https://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-165-RN-p/xc9mm-165rn-b0500.htm) and make it sound revolutionary.

They advertise their packaging as 3 7 round mags or 2 10 round plus one in the chamber. Seemingly for small carry guns but their velocity is based on a 4.5” barrel and they claim lower recoil due to a slow burning powder which means velocity will really suffer in that 3” barrel.

Just my opinion, but I don’t think they offer any real innovation. Different, yes. But not really innovative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I'd probably shoot a box of it. I'd certainly like to see how it performs with a can on the pistol, as that's probably it's best use imo. I'm curious how those rounds would affect barrel wear. I'm not fond of steel ammo for the reason of increasing barrel wear, though I don't shoot enough to really make a noticeable difference even if I did use steel ammo. Certainly looking forward to seeing some third party testing on the ammo, and what the prices are. It's obviously not the kind of ammo you'd do regular training with, so most of my concerns about wear and such are mostly moot. I also wonder how well the ammo will hold up in storage with the myriad number of dissimilar metals on the rounds.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom