ARJ Defense ad

Self-defense, do you stop at the gun? What else is in you tool kit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I have and do. The knife is interesting. Easy to use and hard to defend against. If the other person is trained in its use and you are not.... well you are in deep deep trouble then. Against a trained knifer going to guns at close range is not even a option unless you really know what you are doing.

Not trying to rain on any parades, but I feel it is a overlooked aspect of personal defense. I mean most do not have a plan or skill set for a close range knife attack. But a knife can be carried almost anywhere, almost anytime.

I don't expect to change any minds, knife work is a "If I don't think about it I don't have to worry" type of thing.

I was involved in a situation where a knife in my hand and a stare down caused a thug with a gun in his waistband to rethink robbing me.
    I think he knows, that had his brother not been holding a gun to the restaurant managers head he would have been carried out in several bags.
    Capitol Armory ad

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    Regardless of whether I don't have a .45 on me, then I always have a razor-sharp knife. That goes on with the phone and watch. Car trips include folding stock rifles with large capacity magazines. Just regular day-to-day stuff still means machetes and axes in the trunk, plus a long Mag-Lite as a billy clu----errr, flashlight.

If I think I might get into trouble then I'll go heavily armed. And I'll bring heavily armed friends.

Once I used a gas pump. Guy came at me while I was pumping gas. Squirted gas in his face. Kicked him a couple times in the stomach while he was thrashing around on the ground 'cause I was pissed about wasting the gas. Cops arrested him, dragged him off.

Be aware. Use whatcha got.

Oh, sorry, missed the training part in this post. USMC bayonet training in basic to start, and then additional stuff from there. There are 4 ways to hold a knife and 2 ways to kill someone with it . . . . yeah, gave that class when I was a sergeant.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    Thanks to those who have stayed on topic. FWIW, I've noticed a lot of you mentioned that you carry a backup gun and a blade but, if you'll read the original post, the more specific question is what do you do when carrying a gun isn't an option? Going further, what do you do when guns and knives are both a no-go?

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's obvious you don't spend much time here if you think I'm a member of the TXI fan club.

Spend a little less, eh?

You can join if you want:p

I apologize to the OP. I will stick to the topic at hand.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A pencil can be a deadly thing;)

Or a good steel pen.

Anything to make your attacks more effective. Anything that might make an attacker think twice, hesitate or even back off.

Odds are you won't have time for anything fancy. Hit, hit, hit again. Keep going until it's over.

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    I have and do. The knife is interesting. Easy to use and hard to defend against. If the other person is trained in its use and you are not.... well you are in deep deep trouble then. Against a trained knifer going to guns at close range is not even a option unless you really know what you are doing.

Not trying to rain on any parades, but I feel it is a overlooked aspect of personal defense. I mean most do not have a plan or skill set for a close range knife attack. But a knife can be carried almost anywhere, almost anytime.

I don't expect to change any minds, knife work is a "If I don't think about it I don't have to worry" type of thing.

Well said. It's a shame blade work is so overlooked considering all the great training resources on tap in Central Texas.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    I always carry a folding knife, but lately I've been considering carrying a fixed blade as well. Mostly, I just try to stay out of situations where I might be at a disadvantage.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I carry a small fixed blade everywhere I can. Up close it can be devastating. It's also an invaluable tool in many common emergencies and you don't have to worry about a solid chunk of metal breaking as easy.

Water boarding is just baptizing terrorists with freedom.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Knife, peperspray, belt, keys, shoes, flashlight, and anything else I can get my hands on or mind around.

Staying away from the 3 stupids, planning, awareness and conflict resolution skills can keep you out of trouble except for the worse case predators.

My sig is what I follow. My gun isn't my single answer to self-defense, it's just one of my options.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Gun, knife, and I've started trying to carry a flashlight.

OP said what if you can't carry a gun?

I carry a knife.

OP further asked what if you can't carry a knife?

I have done some self defense training, grappling, mma style type fighting, and all that jazz. I assume I'd just take my flashlight with me too, that bezel on it sure would hurt if it were slammed into your face or temple.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    If completely unarmed....and nothing close to grab and use as a weapon....

I've got a few grappling tricks and/or TKD tricks I can use.

Mostly, I'm full of a rage I can't wait to unleash on the sorry fucker that tries to separate me from mine. ;)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    PSA.
    Don't jack with a welder if he's near his truck.
    They got plenty of useable objects and know exactly where they are.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    As a couple of insightful folks listed in their items....less than lethal options...

In light of recent events, I am taking a hard look of adding a less than lethal item or two as an option to what I already carry....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I just remembered, I always have at least a 16 to 18 oz. straight claw framing hammer behind my seat in the truck. I know I'd have second thoughts if someone pulled a hammer on me!

I prefer a 24oz for most of my projects. The lighter ones just don't have the power I sometimes need.

alaska1996

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Try taking a self defense art. I rely heavily on my kravmaga training for self defence. I'm to young to have a CHL. If you do manage to have a gun on you at all times, it's still nice to have more options.

Top Bottom