Selling a gun FTF?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Bexar county TX, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Bexar county TX

Bexar county TX New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    Hi I am going to sell a rifle FTF should I make a bill of sale for item and get sellers info? Or is there no need to do all of this?

2. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Legally, there is no need.

Personally, you do what you feel comfortable with.

3. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    There is no legal requirement other than it is your responsibility to not sell to someone who is obviously not legally eligible to buy a gun. Under age, a felon (wearing hand cuffs) out of state plates... you get the idea.

I always make one out for my own records, and for the buyers records.
    I'll be happy to email you a copy of what I use.

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You should see their ID at a minimum. That's to ensure they are a state citizen. Other than that, you don't need to make any records or take any info.

5. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    ...but again, this is not legally required.

Is a (wo)man's word not worth anything any more?

6. WB5MHA

WB5MHA Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    FTF I write a bill of sale with ser. # and get their driver's license number. If they don't agree, no sale. Recently I have sold to FFLs at gun shows. Same deal. No paperwork, no sale. It's minimal self protection but not technically required by state or federal law.

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    But it's legally required to not knowingly sell to someone prohibited from buying a firearm. If it's a stranger, you can ask and take their word, or actually make an effort, however little it is.

Unfortunately, no, not strangers.

This thread it like deja vu. How many per week do we need? :rofl:

8. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Well, I keep playing devil's advocate because I see a disturbing (to me) trend in some of you to "let the government handle it" instead of taking a persons word.

9. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Self Protection from WHAT?

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    More like, it's against the law to sell to someone that is out of state. There's nothing wrong with checking an ID. It's no different than a bar checking my ID because I look young. There's nothing wrong with that, they have everything to risk if they simply take my word for it.