• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • valegian

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    San Antonio
    My apologies to all. I know this subject probably comes up many times. Obviously I am new to TX private sales (born here in TX but raised in Kommiefornia since I was 4, now 35). But is it really as easy as checking for TX ID, cash, bill of sale (generic one available online), and a handshake for my rifle? :D
    Military Camp

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    My apologies to all. I know this subject probably comes up many times. Obviously I am new to TX private sales (born here in TX but raised in Kommiefornia since I was 4, now 35). But is it really as easy as checking for TX ID, cash, bill of sale (generic one available online), and a handshake for my rifle? :D

No - easier than that. NO BOS. Paperwork trouble that could lead back to you. Money and a handshake is all it really needs. TX ID is not a bad idea if you have reservations.

valegian

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    San Antonio
    Wow. I assumed that a BOS was a good way to CYA. Where do you guys usually complete the transaction? Im so used to filling out tons of paperwork and getting bent over by the state at an FFL for a private party transfer where the buyer must pay $35 and THEN wait 11 days to pick up the firearm.

Last edited:

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    Welcome to Texas.
    In the event that you buy a weapon that was stolen or used in a crime, or sell one that is subsequently used in a crime, it is INCREDIBLY HELPFUL to deflect suspicion from yourself and back to the perp, by having contact info from the seller / buyer/ perp.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Don't forget Kroger parking lots. After all they've been standing up to the whiny moms so their parking lots need some support too.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    BOS has gotten more people in trouble than it has ever gotten out of trouble.

Just because someone had one and didn't get in trouble in no way means they would have gotten in trouble without it. In fact, the interaction would have gone the same way.

I like Casa Ole parking lot. Also did on in the gun store Parking lot so I could easily go inside and spend the money I had just gotten from the sale.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    ...and if you do feel those hairs stand up, you can always say "no" and walk away. That I DO have experience with.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Most importantly, go with your gut. I like to talk to the person on the phone before meeting them and get a feel for them. Personally, I won't sell to someone throwing around a lot of street slang or that won't talk on the phone or will only text. I guess you sort of just develop a sense for people. I'm sure the members here who are have been LE can explain it better then me. Of course, nothing is 100% and if the guy is a good liar, even the trained eye might be fooled.

ETA-(Byrd666 seems to have summed it up better then I did above)

As as a note to the bill of sale, keep in mind that there are two kind of people out there. One who will never sell without one, and the other who will never buy when one is requested. You can read over past threads and make up your own mind about where you fall. I won't try to influence your decision on them.

Last edited:

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I ask the buyer if he's under indictment for domestic violence or assault or any felony or was convicted for any of those. No? Gimme money and rifle is yours... no BOS.

Top Bottom