APOD Firearms

Selling my Glock 21 and Moving To A 1911...?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    Glad I could help! If you decide to part with your G21, let me know!

That makes great sense. That is also why I came here to get some opinions. Should I go through with this, I will absolutely get it reliably tuned. I'll hit you up for your guy's info once I snag my new toy. Thanks RG!

It is an awesome gun, there's no doubt about that. I'm just thinking that I can always get another. The only reason I'm looking at moving up in price is because since the wedding is next year, I'm selling off some toys I no longer need. Selling off some guitar gear and a couple of gun projects. She doesn't want that money going towards the wedding.

All good points. I'm also not a fanboy of these or any platform. Glocks are plain, they are boring, but they are reliable. That's the only thing holding me back. Thanks!

So you're in favor of the swap?
    Venture Surplus ad

Ghost Fish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Humble, TX
    I've recently divested myself of most of my non-1911 pistols, so you'll get no argument from me.

I will say, take a look at Springfield's Range Officer model... they can still be found for just under $800 and mine has been quite good.

I've heard that is a fantastic pistol but it's just a little longer than I'm after. I'm trying to stay in the Commander size. The input is still appreciated!

If you go with any of the Springers, I doubt if you need to worry about it being "finicky." My Mil-Spec ran great right out of the box, ate whatever I fed it and has never hiccuped even once. Some higher end models with tighter tolerances can require a definite break in period, which can get expensive itself. As in 500 rounds of factory hardball through my Kimber EDC. As for mag capacity, it's a .45. If you do your part, it's two shots and game over. I know some will have a lot of "what if" scenarios, but extended shoot outs against multiple BG's is not something most of us are going to survive anyway.

That is always good to hear about the Springers. I never had a lick of trouble with my SA GI 45 and my dad is now enjoying its reliability. Thanks!

my sig tacpac 1911 has been perfect, prolly 300 rounds through it..
    shot a box of tula through it today no problem

That's always awesome!

Springer fs is my edc just love it swap forrest swap!!!

I'm strongly considering it.

I have owned/traded away more 1911s than I care to think about. Some were cheap, while others were top end custom rigs. During my 43 years of shooting 1911s I have found that Springfield seems to offer the best bang for your buck. I have a Springfield "Loaded" model that will out shoot my Les Baer Premire II with a 1 1/2" group gaurantee Les offers. The "Loaded" cost me $749 some 6 years ago, while the Premier II was in access of $1,800. The "Loaded" has had at least 20,000 rounds down the pipe and it is still tight and very accurate. I do not think you can wear out a quality made 1911, if you take care of it.
    People's opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one. Mine is derived from many years of actual hands on shooting. A side note. Back in late June and early July of this year, I also sold my polymer collection of assorted pistols. The proceeds from those sales went into the purchase of 5 new 1911 pistols. I bought a 3" Citadel, a 4" Desert Eagle Commander, A Colt 1991 Government Model, a Colt 1991 Combat Commander, and finally a Springfield Trophy Match. That is how much I like 1911s.
    Oh, by the way. Wilson Combat magazines solve almost all the "finicky issues" some 1911s experience from the factory. I never use the factory mags that come with any of my 1911s.

Thank you for sharing all of your experience and it sounds like you have quite a collection. I'm really thinking about throwing my Glock up on Armslist and here and going with the LWCO. I'll also be sure to pick up some Wilson mags.

Lets see...I have a Colt US issue 1911, issued to my father in 1932, it went thru WWII in the Pacific, Korea and Vietnam, I carried to Vietnam and for my 26 yrs in the military...WHO knows how rds it may have been fired, my dad had it as backup to a Thompson SMG on a Pacific Island tour. I didn't use it much like dad did, mostly because I carried a M14 and then a M 16 neither were .45 ACP.

It shoots fine today and always has, never repaired. I had the serial number checked and IIRC it was manuf in 1919.

They are reliable. That must be the centerpiece in your collection. Thanks for sharing!

scout789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    lake jackson, tx
    Lets see...I have a Colt US issue 1911, issued to my father in 1932, it went thru WWII in the Pacific, Korea and Vietnam, I carried to Vietnam and for my 26 yrs in the military...WHO knows how rds it may have been fired, my dad had it as backup to a Thompson SMG on a Pacific Island tour. I didn't use it much like dad did, mostly because I carried a M14 and then a M 16 neither were .45 ACP.

It shoots fine today and always has, never repaired. I had the serial number checked and IIRC it was manuf in 1919.

Makes you wonder how that "finicky" ol' piece of junk ever got adopted by our armed forces doesn't it? God bless America and John Browning.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The only real advantage a 1911 has over a Glock is a much better trigger and possibly ergonomics (it's subjective). I think going to a 1911 is a big step backwards.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    The only real advantage a 1911 has over a Glock is a much better trigger and possibly ergonomics (it's subjective). I think going to a 1911 is a big step backwards.
    Yea, say that the next time you view a slo-mo of a plastic gun shooting...I will say it again, there are more dead bad guys out there from a 1911 than there are Glocks...

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    Makes you wonder how that "finicky" ol' piece of junk ever got adopted by our armed forces doesn't it? God bless America and John Browning.

I will say this... John Browning was a genius and designed an amazing gun with the 1911. I love my 1911's. But, they have been finicky... more so than my XD was. Now, that being said, I like shooting my 1911's much more than I ever did my XD. However, my XD fed everything it was ever given, and never jammed on me. I can't say the same of my 1911's.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    A weapon does not stay around for over 100 years by being "a piece of junk". In fact, the popularity of the 1911 is probably greater today, than at any other time during its history. By the way, the history of the 1911 is worth reading.
    John Moses Browning was a genius. What makes the 1911 a great weapon is its design. It does just what it was intended to do, kill the enemy.
    The 1911 is like the Browning M2 [Ma Deuce] machine gun. They are both long in the tooth, but still kick #ss in combat.
    I have had the priviledge of firing and working on the M2 while in the Army. It is humbling weapon. I would not like to be on the receiving end on one of its rounds.
    I have nothing against Glocks. If someone told me to choose just one handgun to save me from eminent death, it would be a Glock.
    Do I like to shoot them, no. Do I trust them, yes.
    The late Jeff Cooper once said something like, "a handgun is a good tool to use to fight your way to a rifle".

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    A weapon does not stay around for over 100 years by being "a piece of junk". In fact, the popularity of the 1911 is probably greater today, than at any other time during its history. By the way, the history of the 1911 is worth reading.
    John Moses Browning was a genius. What makes the 1911 a great weapon is its design. It does just what it was intended to do, kill the enemy.
    The 1911 is like the Browning M2 [Ma Deuce] machine gun. They are both long in the tooth, but still kick #ss in combat.
    I have had the priviledge of firing and working on the M2 while in the Army. It is humbling weapon. I would not like to be on the receiving end on one of its rounds.
    I have nothing against Glocks. If someone told me to choose just one handgun to save me from eminent death, it would be a Glock.
    Do I like to shoot them, no. Do I trust them, yes.
    The late Jeff Cooper once said something like, "a handgun is a good tool to use to fight your way to a rifle".
    Nice!! And in my mind just like you said, just to get to the long gun..
    The rest is a question of style. I know that the last weapon in a firefight is a hand gun.
    But as there as many people that are on this earth, there are op's
    And just as many choices!!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom