Guns International

Selling my Glock 21 and Moving To A 1911...?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost Fish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Humble, TX
    I've had two 1911's and either given away/sold both of them. A Springfield Armory GI 45 that I gave my father for Christmas a few years ago and a RIA 2011 Tactical VZ that I sold a few months ago. That said, I've been bitten by the bug again. This time I'm hankering for a Commander Sized or close to it with rail and this will become my new EDC. I have my eye on the SA Lightweight Champion Operator. I can get them online new for sub $900 which is a steal compared to the used $1,000+ ones on Armslist. Of course other great recommendations in this size category that are chambered in .45 are always welcome.

Keep in mind that the 21 has been my EDC. It has never hiccuped and requires very little care. It also holds a few more in the magazine and changing parts on a Glock is significantly easier than doing so on a 1911.

Also please keep in mind that should I sell this, it will only leave me with one Polymer pal. A Walther PPQ 9mm M1...my fiancee is trying to lay claim to that one though.

I guess I could always sell this guy, get what I want, and then pick up another Glock later on? I know some of you will say to keep the Glock and save for the new one but that's really not an option. We're in the process of saving for our wedding and those are never cheap.

I think I'm just looking for that push over the edge.
    Guns International

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    Well, I really like my 1911's. I sold my XD45 to help pay for the first one. The problem is that 1911's can be finicky, plus the factory magazines are generally crap. Your $900 gun will quickly turn into a $1000 or $1100 gun. My XD wasn't my EDC, but if it had been, I would have been pretty unhappy with my decision. I guess what I'm saying is that your Glock is a known quantity, and is extremely reliable. This is a gun you are betting your life on every day. Are you sure you want to swap it out for a new toy?

If you have the 1911 bug, think about a less expensive option that you can buy now. The Ruger SR1911 Commander is a good choice, as is the STI Spartan IV. If you do pick up a 1911, i know a great gunsmith in the Pasadena area. PM for a name & phone number.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    To each their own but I will be the guy pulling you back from the edge. I have sold/ bought/ traded many different guns over the years and the G21 is one that I regretted trading off. I have two now and they are staying put. They fit my big hands perfectly. But that is just me.

Also, if you are saving up money, selling the 21 and buying a 1911 is kinda going in the wrong direction.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm not fanboy of Glock or 1911. Seems if you have a good reliable EDC that you are proficient with, why change it?

But then again, Glocks are boring.

Ghost Fish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Humble, TX
    Well, I really like my 1911's. I sold my XD45 to help pay for the first one. The problem is that 1911's can be finicky, plus the factory magazines are generally crap. Your $900 gun will quickly turn into a $1000 or $1100 gun. My XD wasn't my EDC, but if it had been, I would have been pretty unhappy with my decision. I guess what I'm saying is that your Glock is a known quantity, and is extremely reliable. This is a gun you are betting your life on every day. Are you sure you want to swap it out for a new toy?

If you have the 1911 bug, think about a less expensive option that you can buy now. The Ruger SR1911 Commander is a good choice, as is the STI Spartan IV. If you do pick up a 1911, i know a great gunsmith in the Pasadena area. PM for a name & phone number.

That makes great sense. That is also why I came here to get some opinions. Should I go through with this, I will absolutely get it reliably tuned. I'll hit you up for your guy's info once I snag my new toy. Thanks RG!

To each their own but I will be the guy pulling you back from the edge. I have sold/ bought/ traded many different guns over the years and the G21 is one that I regretted trading off. I have two now and they are staying put. They fit my big hands perfectly. But that is just me.

Also, if you are saving up money, selling the 21 and buying a 1911 is kinda going in the wrong direction.

It is an awesome gun, there's no doubt about that. I'm just thinking that I can always get another. The only reason I'm looking at moving up in price is because since the wedding is next year, I'm selling off some toys I no longer need. Selling off some guitar gear and a couple of gun projects. She doesn't want that money going towards the wedding.

I'm not fanboy of Glock or 1911. Seems if you have a good reliable EDC that you are proficient with, why change it?

But then again, Glocks are boring.

All good points. I'm also not a fanboy of these or any platform. Glocks are plain, they are boring, but they are reliable. That's the only thing holding me back. Thanks!

Concur.

The 1911 has killed more bad guys than there are Glocks....

So you're in favor of the swap?

Ghost Fish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Humble, TX
    Glocks and 1911s are both great guns, albeit completely different. If possible, keep the Glock and add the 1911. I've still got seller's remorse from selling my G21.

You're absolutely right. They both have a huge fan base and track record. At this point, it's really not possible but I'm also not too interested in both. I'm trying to stay away from starting a collection. I'm of the personality type where when I get into something, I get into it full blast and devote as much time as possible reading, studying, and adding to it. I know it's only one more but that is how it starts.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    You're absolutely right. They both have a huge fan base and track record. At this point, it's really not possible but I'm also not too interested in both. I'm trying to stay away from starting a collection. I'm of the personality type where when I get into something, I get into it full blast and devote as much time as possible reading, studying, and adding to it. I know it's only one more but that is how it starts.

Yea, it's too late for me now.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I've recently divested myself of most of my non-1911 pistols, so you'll get no argument from me.

I will say, take a look at Springfield's Range Officer model... they can still be found for just under $800 and mine has been quite good.

scout789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    lake jackson, tx
    If you go with any of the Springers, I doubt if you need to worry about it being "finicky." My Mil-Spec ran great right out of the box, ate whatever I fed it and has never hiccuped even once. Some higher end models with tighter tolerances can require a definite break in period, which can get expensive itself. As in 500 rounds of factory hardball through my Kimber EDC. As for mag capacity, it's a .45. If you do your part, it's two shots and game over. I know some will have a lot of "what if" scenarios, but extended shoot outs against multiple BG's is not something most of us are going to survive anyway.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have owned/traded away more 1911s than I care to think about. Some were cheap, while others were top end custom rigs. During my 43 years of shooting 1911s I have found that Springfield seems to offer the best bang for your buck. I have a Springfield "Loaded" model that will out shoot my Les Baer Premire II with a 1 1/2" group gaurantee Les offers. The "Loaded" cost me $749 some 6 years ago, while the Premier II was in access of $1,800. The "Loaded" has had at least 20,000 rounds down the pipe and it is still tight and very accurate. I do not think you can wear out a quality made 1911, if you take care of it.
    People's opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one. Mine is derived from many years of actual hands on shooting. A side note. Back in late June and early July of this year, I also sold my polymer collection of assorted pistols. The proceeds from those sales went into the purchase of 5 new 1911 pistols. I bought a 3" Citadel, a 4" Desert Eagle Commander, A Colt 1991 Government Model, a Colt 1991 Combat Commander, and finally a Springfield Trophy Match. That is how much I like 1911s.
    Oh, by the way. Wilson Combat magazines solve almost all the "finicky issues" some 1911s experience from the factory. I never use the factory mags that come with any of my 1911s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Arlington Tx
    I have owned/traded away more 1911s than I care to think about. Some were cheap, while others were top end custom rigs. During my 43 years of shooting 1911s I have found that Springfield seems to offer the best bang for your buck. I have a Springfield "Loaded" model that will out shoot my Les Baer Premire II with a 1 1/2" group gaurantee Les offers. The "Loaded" cost me $749 some 6 years ago, while the Premier II was in access of $1,800. The "Loaded" has had at least 20,000 rounds down the pipe and it is still tight and very accurate. I do not think you can wear out a quality made 1911, if you take care of it.
    People's opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one. Mine is derived from many years of actual hands on shooting. A side note. Back in late June and early July of this year, I also sold my polymer collection of assorted pistols. The proceeds from those sales went into the purchase of 5 new 1911 pistols. I bought a 3" Citadel, a 4" Desert Eagle Commander, A Colt 1991 Government Model, a Colt 1991 Combat Commander, and finally a Springfield Trophy Match. That is how much I like 1911s.
    Oh, by the way. Wilson Combat magazines solve almost all the "finicky issues" some 1911s experience from the factory. I never use the factory mags that come with any of my 1911s.

well that kinda convinced me, had a lapse and was looking at the glock 21 but just wasn't convinced yet. Still think you need a 454 for your collection lol.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Lets see...I have a Colt US issue 1911, issued to my father in 1932, it went thru WWII in the Pacific, Korea and Vietnam, I carried to Vietnam and for my 26 yrs in the military...WHO knows how rds it may have been fired, my dad had it as backup to a Thompson SMG on a Pacific Island tour. I didn't use it much like dad did, mostly because I carried a M14 and then a M 16 neither were .45 ACP.

It shoots fine today and always has, never repaired. I had the serial number checked and IIRC it was manuf in 1919.

Top Bottom