semi-auto rifle suggestions?

R.Lynn

Dec 31, 2008
Katy
I am looking to buy my first semi-auto rifle. If I don't want an AR-15, is my best option in 223 a mini 14? Thanks ahead for any advice.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
Feb 23, 2008
San Antonio
Right now, price wise, the Mini-14 is still relatively cheap. I got mine brand new for $650 and used ones are cheaper. They're fun to shoot and with a little work can be pretty accurate. I know a guy who has his shooting 1.5" groups at 100 yards. That's pretty friggin awesome for a gun that has a reputation for minute of milkjug accuracy.

I haven't priced any SKs, AKs, M1's or M14's so if anybody knows anything, please chime in.

Bullseye Shooter

Apr 28, 2008
Texas Panhandle
M1 Garands and M1 Carbines are available from the CMP. Garands start at $475 and Carbines at $419. You can check them out at www.odcmp.com. Click on the "sales" link on the right side of the home page. You do have to belong to a CMP affiliated club. The Garand Collector's Association (GCA) qualifies ($25 per year dues).

wookie

Dec 8, 2008
San Antonio
M1 Garands and M1 Carbines are available from the CMP. ..quote]

Cool. I shot a M1 Carbine at the range this weekend (btw thanks to the guy who let me shoot it). I like that gun...however it depends what you want to do with it?

So, it all depends...what do you want...the latest tacial stuff, target shoot at 300yrds, home defense? For example, the M1 is probably not the best gun beyond 50-75 yards.

Texas Patriot

Jul 17, 2008
Spring
I am looking to buy my first semi-auto rifle. If I don't want an AR-15, is my best option in 223 a mini 14? Thanks ahead for any advice.
The best answer totally depends on what you want to do with your rifle. If you want to hunt or plink or need something for self defense or one that can do all this, the answer can change with each choice.

I personally like the Mini 14. Also have AR as well, but the Mini is more fun to shoot. They are very reliable and accuracy in the newer models is much improved from the older ones. I have an older one that I took from shooting a "pattern" at 100 yards to doing under 1.5" at 100 yards with just a little bit of work. These make excellent plinkers, and self defense guns as well as hunting things that you could take easily with the .223.

There are AKs in .223, but they cost a bit more than the 7.62 x 39 AK versions and accuracy is only acceptable for plinking or close range self defense.

Lots of choices, but let us know what your intended use is and we can help fine tune a list for your needs.

R.Lynn

Dec 31, 2008
Katy
I am really just looking to shoot it at the range and self defense for now. I have a 270 for hunting.

Would the 223 work for hog hunting?

R.Lynn

Dec 31, 2008
Katy
M1 Garands and M1 Carbines are available from the CMP. ..quote]

Cool. I shot a M1 Carbine at the range this weekend (btw thanks to the guy who let me shoot it). I like that gun...however it depends what you want to do with it?

So, it all depends...what do you want...the latest tacial stuff, target shoot at 300yrds, home defense? For example, the M1 is probably not the best gun beyond 50-75 yards.
The M1 would not be very acurate past 50-75 yards?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
The M1 would not be very acurate past 50-75 yards?
With the standard ammo the M1 Garand is a 4 Minute gun at 100 yards. It's effective accuracy, but by modern standards it's not very accurate.

There are alot of things you can do to the Garand like Match grade barrels, bedding the action, etc. that will make it a tack driver.

I personally would like to get a Garand over a Mini-14. The "ting-ting" is worth it.

Bullseye Shooter

Apr 28, 2008
Texas Panhandle
I think he was talking about the M1 Carbine, not the M1 Garand, being accurate only to 75 yards. The carbine is more than adequate out to 100 yards, since they shoot Carbine only matches at Camp Perry at that distance and IIRC the early carbines had a flip rear aperature that was set for 100 and 200 yards. Later models had an adjustable rear sight.

dee

Well-Known
Nov 22, 2008
Red River Way
Using a .223 for hog hunting is gonna be all about shot placement and ammo type.Best shot for dropping on the first shot is right behind the ear or through the eye. Two weeks ago my dad shot one at 221 yards he hit it right behind the shoulder using jacketed lead softpoints, the pig ran a lil ways when he got closer found it was still alive but had lung hanging out its mouth so a ear shot put him under.

Top Bottom