• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R.Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Katy
    I am looking to buy my first semi-auto rifle. If I don't want an AR-15, is my best option in 223 a mini 14? Thanks ahead for any advice.
    Capitol Armory ad

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Right now, price wise, the Mini-14 is still relatively cheap. I got mine brand new for $650 and used ones are cheaper. They're fun to shoot and with a little work can be pretty accurate. I know a guy who has his shooting 1.5" groups at 100 yards. That's pretty friggin awesome for a gun that has a reputation for minute of milkjug accuracy.

I haven't priced any SKs, AKs, M1's or M14's so if anybody knows anything, please chime in.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    M1 Garands and M1 Carbines are available from the CMP. Garands start at $475 and Carbines at $419. You can check them out at www.odcmp.com. Click on the "sales" link on the right side of the home page. You do have to belong to a CMP affiliated club. The Garand Collector's Association (GCA) qualifies ($25 per year dues).

wookie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    San Antonio
    M1 Garands and M1 Carbines are available from the CMP. ..quote]

Cool. I shot a M1 Carbine at the range this weekend (btw thanks to the guy who let me shoot it). I like that gun...however it depends what you want to do with it?

So, it all depends...what do you want...the latest tacial stuff, target shoot at 300yrds, home defense? For example, the M1 is probably not the best gun beyond 50-75 yards.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I am looking to buy my first semi-auto rifle. If I don't want an AR-15, is my best option in 223 a mini 14? Thanks ahead for any advice.

The best answer totally depends on what you want to do with your rifle. If you want to hunt or plink or need something for self defense or one that can do all this, the answer can change with each choice.

I personally like the Mini 14. Also have AR as well, but the Mini is more fun to shoot. They are very reliable and accuracy in the newer models is much improved from the older ones. I have an older one that I took from shooting a "pattern" at 100 yards to doing under 1.5" at 100 yards with just a little bit of work. These make excellent plinkers, and self defense guns as well as hunting things that you could take easily with the .223.

There are AKs in .223, but they cost a bit more than the 7.62 x 39 AK versions and accuracy is only acceptable for plinking or close range self defense.

Lots of choices, but let us know what your intended use is and we can help fine tune a list for your needs.

R.Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Katy
    I am really just looking to shoot it at the range and self defense for now. I have a 270 for hunting.

Would the 223 work for hog hunting?

R.Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Katy
    M1 Garands and M1 Carbines are available from the CMP. ..quote]

Cool. I shot a M1 Carbine at the range this weekend (btw thanks to the guy who let me shoot it). I like that gun...however it depends what you want to do with it?

So, it all depends...what do you want...the latest tacial stuff, target shoot at 300yrds, home defense? For example, the M1 is probably not the best gun beyond 50-75 yards.

The M1 would not be very acurate past 50-75 yards?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The M1 would not be very acurate past 50-75 yards?

With the standard ammo the M1 Garand is a 4 Minute gun at 100 yards. It's effective accuracy, but by modern standards it's not very accurate.

There are alot of things you can do to the Garand like Match grade barrels, bedding the action, etc. that will make it a tack driver.

I personally would like to get a Garand over a Mini-14. The "ting-ting" is worth it.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I think he was talking about the M1 Carbine, not the M1 Garand, being accurate only to 75 yards. The carbine is more than adequate out to 100 yards, since they shoot Carbine only matches at Camp Perry at that distance and IIRC the early carbines had a flip rear aperature that was set for 100 and 200 yards. Later models had an adjustable rear sight.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Using a .223 for hog hunting is gonna be all about shot placement and ammo type.Best shot for dropping on the first shot is right behind the ear or through the eye. Two weeks ago my dad shot one at 221 yards he hit it right behind the shoulder using jacketed lead softpoints, the pig ran a lil ways when he got closer found it was still alive but had lung hanging out its mouth so a ear shot put him under.

wookie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    San Antonio
    With the standard ammo the M1 Garand is a 4 Minute gun at 100 yards. It's effective accuracy, but by modern standards it's not very accurate.

There are alot of things you can do to the Garand like Match grade barrels, bedding the action, etc. that will make it a tack driver.

I personally would like to get a Garand over a Mini-14. The "ting-ting" is worth it.

I should have qualifiedy my comment...I was bascially repeating what the gun owner told me (and my limited, very limited, experience with the gun). I don't mean to misslead...

It was also only a comment to support the main point, it all depends on what you want the gun for. I guess a better statement would have been that modern AR15s are generally more accurate for longer range.

and yes I was referring to the .30 carbine (the gun I had a chance to shoot). BTW - what do you guys thing the "effective range" on the M1 carbine is? Also, depends on shooter (I'm a newer rifle shooter).

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    According to my copy of Cartridges of the World, the max accurate range for sporting purposes (hunting, etc.) is 150 yards for the M1 Carbine round. Army manuals list the max range (not effective) as 300 yards.

Regarding the AR and M1; if we're talking NRA High Power matches, the AR in .223 is highly competitive out to 600 yards, especially when you load heavier match bullets like the 80 grain Nosler HPBT, but you need something like a 1 in 8" twist to stabilize that bullet and it helps if you seat it out a little. I use a COAL of 2.45 for that particular bullet rather than the recommended 2.25 COAL. For the shorter lines (200 and 300 yards) I use a 62 grain HPBT so I can set the COAL so they will feed in the magazine.

The M1 (or any .30 caliber rifle) has a distinct advantage over the AR when you're shooting Long Range matches (1000 yards). I've used an M1 chambered in .308 (rather than .30-06) for 1000 yard matches. The bullet drops like a rock at that distance, but it bucks the wind better than the lighter AR .223 bullets.

Again, choice of a semi-auto rifle depends on what you want to use it for.
    If we're talking NRA High Power regular across the course matches, i.e. 200, 300 and 600 yards, I would pick a good AR with a 20" barrel and in the A2 configuration, not the A3.

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Hell of a time to get your first semi auto... but since you asked and given that you may want this for hog hunting... I'd go with a 7.62x39 AK. The .223 is fine for hogs if as mentioned already, you shoot them in the brain... The 7.62x39 is basically equivalent to a 30-30 for the purpose - especially if you get 150 grain loads.

The availability of mags for the 7.62x39 AK is also much much better than any other firearm accept for AR's. Further, there are a load of accessories. They are totally reliable, very durable and give 2" to 6" groups at 100 yards - depending on the rifle, ammo and of course the shooter.

Ammo is also much less expensive than .223.

I recommend Atlantic firearms - AR15 & AK47 rifles - Olympic arms at wholesale or Classic Arms Inc.

Nodena Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    Now for my 2 cents......mini 14 is what I generally carry in the seat of the truck daily and have to (or get to) shoot coyotes and pigs often. I am fortunate to own tricked out rifles in several different calibers as well, but for the money and durablity,'in my opinion' the plastic mini 14 with a Burris 3X9 is a good choice for a beginner or a seasoned veteran of the ranch. It's all about eliminating the varmits that cause problems for us. For what it's worth......

R.Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Katy
    Hell of a time to get your first semi auto... but since you asked and given that you may want this for hog hunting... I'd go with a 7.62x39 AK. The .223 is fine for hogs if as mentioned already, you shoot them in the brain... The 7.62x39 is basically equivalent to a 30-30 for the purpose - especially if you get 150 grain loads.

The availability of mags for the 7.62x39 AK is also much much better than any other firearm accept for AR's. Further, there are a load of accessories. They are totally reliable, very durable and give 2" to 6" groups at 100 yards - depending on the rifle, ammo and of course the shooter.

Ammo is also much less expensive than .223.

I recommend Atlantic firearms - AR15 & AK47 rifles - Olympic arms at wholesale or Classic Arms Inc.

I think I like this idea. What gun would you guys recommend from these guys?

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I think I like this idea. What gun would you guys recommend from these guys?

I recommend getting the best one you can afford. All AKs are similar, but there are better ones out there and usually the price reflects that uptick in quality. But in a pinch, almost any 'ol AK will do.

Shaolin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    I would suggest a Saiga 16" barrel semi-auto rifle in .223. They are around $349.99 right now at Military Gun Supply in Ft. Worth. They may be cheaper on the internet i.e. Centerfire Systems or J&G Sales.

CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    I would suggest a SKS for a first semi auto. They use the same ammo as the AK and they're still reletively inexpensive. You can get all kinds of accessaries to jazz up their looks.

Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Mito, Japan/Georgetown, Texas
    Agree with the SKS comment. I have never shot an AK, because the SKS were cheaper. Aside from the scope attachability problem, my Russian SKS easily holds 1 minute of clay pigeon at 100 yards with the scope problem. Will it cloverleaf, I don't know, but I doubt it. Is it good enough for plinking and pigs? It`s probably easily one minute of pig out to 150, which is where I am told the round looses lethality anyway.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom