Capitol Armory ad

Semi-random chronograph results. More to come.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I originally meant to put this in the last Houston gathering thread but forgot. At that meet-up, we were shooting several things over the chrono, pretty much at random. So instead of just throwing out the results, I decided to post them here in case anyone can use any of this info.

All figures are the average of five shots. Here’s what we got:

• 9mm, 115 grain
      • Glock 24 long slide with 9mm Wolf conversion
        • Blazer aluminum - 1240 fps
        • PMC - 1167 fps
      • Beretta Nano
        • Blazer aluminum -1109 fps
        • PMC - 1032 fps
      • Kel Tec Sub 2000
        • Blazer aluminum - 1360 fps
    • .38 Special 148-grain HBWC
      • 3“ J-frame
        • Fiocchi - 533 fps
        • Western (~40 years old) - 709 fps
    • .22WMR, 30-grain
      • Kel Tec PMR 30
        • Hornady V-Max -1597 fps
    • .22 TCM, 40-grain
      • RIA 1911
        • Armscorp - 2138 fps
    • .45 ACP 230-grain ball
      • EAA Witness Elite Limited
        • PMC - 833 fps
        • Rem UMC - 845 fps
        • Federal Range and Target - 812 fps
        • Winchester White Box - 860 fps
      • Glock 21
        • Winchester White Box - 872

I found some of the numbers on here interesting.
    • WWB .45 was faster out of the shorter barrel of the Glock than from the longer barrel of the EAA. Glock makes a big deal out of their superior rifling, don’t they? I wonder...
    • Armscorp .22TCM breaks 2100 fps from a 1911. Neat!
    • Fiocchi .38 wadcutters are s-l-o-w. The ISSF Centerfire Pistol event is shot (usually indoors) at 25 yards max so perhaps the Euro makers of .32 and .38 wadcutter ammo figure ~500 fps is enough. In NRA Conventional Pistol where we shoot our wadcutter guns (usually outdoors) at 50 yards, will performance suffer? I don’t know; I’ll have to go back to the range and do some accuracy testing at 50 yards to find out.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    As a past owner of the PMR-30 I wish you had the brand and weight of the .22 mag used. That RIA .22tcm sounds fun I really want to shoot one. I have never seen ammo in stock for one though.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As a past owner of the PMR-30 I wish you had the brand and weight of the .22 mag used.
    Maybe subseashooter will happen along and provide that info. IIRC, it was his gun and ammo.

That RIA .22tcm sounds fun I really want to shoot one. I have never seen ammo in stock for one though.
    The box of Armscorp factory ammo that was at the range that day was the one and only box of factory .22TCM that I have ever seen.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As a past owner of the PMR-30 I wish you had the brand and weight of the .22 mag used. That RIA .22tcm sounds fun I really want to shoot one. I have never seen ammo in stock for one though.

They have always had it at Fun Gunz in Waco. I haven't seen it anywhere else though.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Hey Y'all!!

Sorry, I'm just seeing this.

The 22WMR was 30gr Hornady VMax. It's the only thing that I've gotten to shoot consistantly out of the PMR-30....all of the WMR hollow points catch on the feed ramp.

I actually am doing a search for more 22TCM ammo right now on another tab....I saw that CTD has some on hand at $.75/rnd, but that's more than I'm willing to pay, and I refuse to do business with them.

surplusammo.comshows to have it on hand....I tried to add 100 boxes of 50 rounds to my cart, and they came back saying that they didn't have that QOH....lowered it to 50 boxes, and was good to go....will probably order some a week or so before I head home.

ammosupplywarehouse.com has brass and bullets for reloading on hand....I have a set of dies, so I'll prolly stock up on that to get by if I can't find any other live ammo.

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Hey Y'all!!

Sorry, I'm just seeing this.

The 22WMR was 30gr Hornady VMax. It's the only thing that I've gotten to shoot consistantly out of the PMR-30....all of the WMR hollow points catch on the feed ramp.

Mine was the same. Also when it was dirty it wouldn't cycle well. CCI maxi mags 40 gr and most of the lighter 30-33 gr vmax/accu-tip ammo is what it shot best with. Everything from Winchester seem to be so dirty that it would gum everything up after 1 mag.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    They have always had it at Fun Gunz in Waco. I haven't seen it anywhere else though.

Haven't made my way up to Waco in awhile. I'm thinking I may need to go there someday soon when I have some extra money. Do they carry the pistol in stock also? Maybe on my short list. I love high velocity small caliber pistols. I think I had read that you have one and they come with 9mm barrel also? Are they double stack mags?

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I know that when they first started marketing the gun, they all came with 9mm barrels and springs....I got mine scondhand that way.

I've heard though that they stopped putting the 9mm barrel in with the package, but I can't verify that for you.

They ARE double stack mags.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Haven't made my way up to Waco in awhile. I'm thinking I may need to go there someday soon when I have some extra money. Do they carry the pistol in stock also? Maybe on my short list. I love high velocity small caliber pistols. I think I had read that you have one and they come with 9mm barrel also? Are they double stack mags?

That's where I got mine, it came with 9mm barrel and last time I was there they had a couple in stock with the extra barrel.

Big poi change between barrels as you might expect.

Also, their ammo runs about $25/box.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I know that when they first started marketing the gun, they all came with 9mm barrels and springs....I got mine scondhand that way.

I've heard though that they stopped putting the 9mm barrel in with the package, but I can't verify that for you.

They ARE double stack mags.

My understanding is that the mags are actually double stack .38 super mags.

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    My understanding is that the mags are actually double stack .38 super mags.

Interesting. I coulda swore I was told that they were 9mm mags.

If this doesn't get settled in the next three weeks, I'll check when I get home. I'm totally ready to admit ignorance on this one; just figured if it holds 9mm, feeds 9mm.....DOH!!

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    They are mags that can be used on 9mm but they have to be 38 super length for the TCM cartridge to sit in them. With interchangable barrels you can in theory shoot all three calibers (and I'm reading about people doing exactly that after some extractor tuning).

Top Bottom