• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    I am really liking that guy. Does he have a chance in '16?
    I'm sure he thinks he does, because he's doing the types of things a Senator does to run for President. And he's looked at an electoral map and probably sees some path to victory. At minimum, Cruz would get the states Romney got in '12. Romney lost by 126 electoral votes, 206 to 332. If Cruz can get Iowa, Florida and Ohio, that's 259. If he gets Nevada thats 265. If he gets Colorado that's 274 and Cruz is President. Obama's margin of victory against Romney in those states was around 5%.

Cruz would almost certainly get a better turnout than Romney, and Hillary will be fighting 8 years of Obama fatigue. Cruz definitely has a chance.
    Venture Surplus ad

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I'm sure he thinks he does, because he's doing the types of things a Senator does to run for President. And he's looked at an electoral map and probably sees some path to victory. At minimum, Cruz would get the states Romney got in '12. Romney lost by 126 electoral votes, 206 to 332. If Cruz can get Iowa, Florida and Ohio, that's 259. If he gets Nevada thats 265. If he gets Colorado that's 274 and Cruz is President. Obama's margin of victory against Romney in those states was around 5%.

Cruz would almost certainly get a better turnout than Romney, and Hillary will be fighting 8 years of Obama fatigue. Cruz definitely has a chance.

And who knows running someone who actually stands for something may help the republicans chances...

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    If Cruz can come up with 3 things he wants to do as President that people can connect with and remember, he could mop the floor with Hillary. If he can create a clear message that resonates with people, he could get states like Pennsylvania and Virginia, maybe even Wisconsin. Hillary's big political goal was nationalized health care, and Obama beat her to it. Aside from people wanting to vote for the first woman President, she has nothing to offer.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I can tell you that if you are born on a US military installation or embassy overseas, you are a natural born citizen. That is US soil.

(Born on a US military base overseas)

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Question: Let's say both of your parents are American, but you are born OFF SHORE. Lets's say Military stationed in Korea or Japan, or working for a company overseas like KBR. Aren't you still an American?

If one of your parents is a Us citizen, you are a US citizen. Does not matter where you are born.

In fact, I know of cases where someone born outside the US to foreign born parents and adopted by US parents was given a US birth Certificate.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    If one of your parents is a Us citizen, you are a US citizen. Does not matter where you are born.

In fact, I know of cases where someone born outside the US to foreign born parents and adopted by US parents was given a US birth Certificate.
    I know you were just answering his question, but the constitution doesn't say any US citizen can become president. It says "must be a natural-born citizen" then gives no definition of what that is — so it's really fuzzy and that's why so many of us have trouble with it.

I would rather have several Ted Cruz's in Congress than one Ted Cruz in the White House, just my preference.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    But the constitution doesn't say any US citizen can become president.

He did not ask if you could be President, he asked if you were an American. You are an American, specifically a US Citizen under the conditions I mentioned.

For a real life example of his question, John McCain was born in Panama.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    He did not ask if you could be President, he asked if you were an American. You are an American, specifically a US Citizen under the conditions I mentioned.

That's why I prefaced my statement.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy

On a USAF military installation, same as my sister.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    (PER WIKI-PEDIA)
    Status as a natural-born citizen of the United States is one of the eligibility requirements established in the United States Constitution for election to the office of President or Vice President. This requirement was intended to protect the nation from foreign influence.
    The Constitution does not define the phrase natural-born citizen, and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. A 2011 Congressional Research Service report stated that
    The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term "natural born" citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "by birth" or "at birth", either by being born "in" the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at birth". Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a U.S. citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an "alien" required to go through the legal process of "naturalization" to become a U.S. citizen.[1]
    The natural-born-citizen clause has been mentioned in passing in several decisions of the United States Supreme Court and lower courts dealing with the question of eligibility for citizenship by birth, but the Supreme Court has never directly addressed the question of a specific presidential or vice-presidential candidate's eligibility as a natural-born citizen.

Clear as mud? I reckon you could just translate it any which way you'd like, seems that's how the Supreme Court addresses it.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The biggest hurdle Cruz will face if he runs is opposition from the Republican party. Frankly I'd rather have him in the Senate, though - he does more good there than a President can do.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Lol how in the world would Cruz be more influential in congress than as a president?!!

I mean seriously?

Look at him now.
    Besides, no term limits in the Senate. If he gets prez, we lose 8 years later.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Lol how in the world would Cruz be more influential in congress than as a president?!!

I mean seriously?

Presidents don't write or pass laws. Congressmen do. Cruz has shown that he can rally the do-nothing Republicans into action through leading by example and doing his damn job as a Senator. We need him in the trenches making the supposedly conservative Senators put their money where their mouths are. As President, he'd have far less time to spend pushing legislation and precisely zero votes to cast on it.

Top Bottom