• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    We really could put President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho in the white house. He's only as good as his Congress and cabinet allow him to be. Whereas Cruz is a rally-the-troops true leader among his peers. We need a lot more of that in those toilet bowls we call the house & senate.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    If one of your parents is a Us citizen, you are a US citizen. Does not matter where you are born.

It has changed here and there over the years. I know for a while if the mother was not a citizen and the child was born overseas the child was not a citizen. It was a way to keep all the children our military guys fathered overseas from becoming citizens.

Regardless of that his mother was a citizen so that always has meant citizenship, even if some of our fellow looney bin conservatives think otherwise of the idiot-in-chief in office now.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I'm going to disagree, I see your point. But let's face it. Today the President is incharge of the large regulatory bodies.
    By extension you put good people on charge of the EPA, health and human services, atty gen, etc. you can bring about far more change than he could ever do as a senator...

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I'm going to disagree, I see your point. But let's face it. Today the President is incharge of the large regulatory bodies.
    By extension you put good people on charge of the EPA, health and human services, atty gen, etc. you can bring about far more change than he could ever do as a senator...

Not to mention SCOTUS justices, four of them whom are in the mid to late 70's.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Also...

PolitiFact | Is Ted Cruz, born in Canada, eligible to run for president?

"But the Supreme Court -- the ultimate arbiter of constitutional questions -- has never ruled on the matter. And that means a note of uncertainty remains.

Sarah H. Duggin, a professor of law at Catholic University, has written about and studied the issue extensively. She told us in 2008 that the question of what natural born citizenship is "one of the most deceptively simple, complex issues."

We reached her again this week to ask about Cruz’s eligibility. "It would be reasonable to interpret the Constitution’s natural born citizenship provision to include children born abroad to U.S. citizens, including Senator Cruz, for a number of reasons," she said.

But is it 100 percent sure?

"Unfortunately, we cannot say for sure without either a definitive Supreme Court ruling, or an amendment to clarify the Constitution.""

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Wrong. He could become an elected senator after serving as the president.

I suppose there has been a case where this happened.
    I'm not aware of one though. If I had the headache of being prez, I'd be as hard to find as GWB after.

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    The citizenship question is one of those profoundly easy-to-answer questions... I mean, first of all, what are we to make of the term "natural born citizen"? If we consider -- what is the alternative, an "unnaturally-born citizen", then obviously that's not the point, is it? I mean, sure, it would rule out the AntiChrist or zombies from being president, which I guess is okay, but likely hardly the point of the founders who wrote and included the language.

Therefore, we must focus on the other word -- born. Do we have citizens who are born as citizens, and citizens who aren't? Of course we do. We have immigrants who have acquired citizenship through naturalization, and we have citizens who acquired citizenship through birth. Those are, basically, the only ways to have citizenship.

So by stating that a qualification for being president is that s/he must be a "natural born citizen", it's plainly obvious that they're ruling out naturalized citizens. As such, Schwarzenegger will never be president.

But that leaves the question of McCain, Cruz, George Romney, and Barack Obama as easily settled -- all were born to (at least one) American citizen parent, at least three of them were born outside of the US, and all four were naturally-born citizens, acquiring citizenship merely by the fact of having been born to American parents.

Of course, this is just simple logic and reason, and not an actual SCOTUS ruling, and the question won't be definitively settled until the SCOTUS rules (and even then, it won't be settled; Roe v. Wade is still a hot topic, as is Heller; maybe it'll never be settled). But we have two (or three, if you're a "birther") prior cases of people born outside of the USA running for president, and in all three the question was raised, and in all three it was not an actual issue. The Senate even passed a resolution specifically declaring John McCain a "natural born citizen of the USA" to quell the controversy.

If Cruz chooses to run, it is basically inconceivable that the circumstances of his birth in Canada to two American citizens would affect his eligibility.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I know you were just answering his question, but the constitution doesn't say any US citizen can become president. It says "must be a natural-born citizen" then gives no definition of what that is — so it's really fuzzy and that's why so many of us have trouble with it.

I would rather have several Ted Cruz's in Congress than one Ted Cruz in the White House, just my preference.

Naturalization Act of 1790 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It also provided for citizenship for the children of US citizens born abroad, but specified that the right of citizenship did "not descend to persons whose fathers have never been resident in the United States". It specifies that such children "shall be considered as natural born citizens"

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    But what if he was born via cesarean? And his father was not a US citizen at the time of his birth.

This question was raised...

http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/...cle_8065cdfa-6a1c-11e2-a753-001a4bcf887a.html

Beaufort, N.C.
    Jan. 17, 2013
    TO THE EDITOR:
    Republicans and “so-called” conservatives are at it again. They are claiming that the Constitution gives people the right to have guns without the permission of the government. If that were true, then how could New York and Chicago have laws against it?
    We Democrats are sick and tired of Republicans constantly using the Constitution to cover up their true plans, which are to make us all afraid of everyone else. Our great president came from a civilized part of the country where there is strict gun control, and he is only trying to bring the benefits of that more modern way of living to the rest of us. I don’t know the exact statistics, but I’m quite certain that Chicago is a lot safer that Morehead City, when it comes to gun violence.
    But do Republicans and conservatives listen to the voice of reason? No, of course not. All they want to do is whine and complain about how gun control and wealth redistribution violate the Constitution, as if the Constitution were all that great, anyway. There are a lot of things that need to be changed about the Constitution, I’d say, and President Obama needs to change it.
    The Republicans are just trying to stand in the way, because the president is black. They even dared to question whether he was born in this country. I think all this demonstrates that the Constitution needs to be amended when it comes to the qualifications for being president. Right now, it says that a person has to be 35 years old and be a natural born citizen. Well, that is obviously unfair because there are a great many otherwise qualified people who cannot run for president because their mothers had to have a C-section. But because the Constitution was written a hundred years ago, nobody even thought of the discrimination that would result from a doctor having to deliver a baby in this unnatural way. Now that we Democrats are in control of the government, that’s just one more thing we should change in our drive to make life fair.
    Please withhold my name because I don’t want to get crank calls.
    PROUD TO BE A DEMOCRAT

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    This question was raised...

http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/...cle_8065cdfa-6a1c-11e2-a753-001a4bcf887a.html

Beaufort, N.C.
    Jan. 17, 2013
    TO THE EDITOR:
    Republicans and “so-called” conservatives are at it again. They are claiming that the Constitution gives people the right to have guns without the permission of the government. If that were true, then how could New York and Chicago have laws against it?
    We Democrats are sick and tired of Republicans constantly using the Constitution to cover up their true plans, which are to make us all afraid of everyone else. Our great president came from a civilized part of the country where there is strict gun control, and he is only trying to bring the benefits of that more modern way of living to the rest of us. I don’t know the exact statistics, but I’m quite certain that Chicago is a lot safer that Morehead City, when it comes to gun violence.
    But do Republicans and conservatives listen to the voice of reason? No, of course not. All they want to do is whine and complain about how gun control and wealth redistribution violate the Constitution, as if the Constitution were all that great, anyway. There are a lot of things that need to be changed about the Constitution, I’d say, and President Obama needs to change it.
    The Republicans are just trying to stand in the way, because the president is black. They even dared to question whether he was born in this country. I think all this demonstrates that the Constitution needs to be amended when it comes to the qualifications for being president. Right now, it says that a person has to be 35 years old and be a natural born citizen. Well, that is obviously unfair because there are a great many otherwise qualified people who cannot run for president because their mothers had to have a C-section. But because the Constitution was written a hundred years ago, nobody even thought of the discrimination that would result from a doctor having to deliver a baby in this unnatural way. Now that we Democrats are in control of the government, that’s just one more thing we should change in our drive to make life fair.
    Please withhold my name because I don’t want to get crank calls.
    PROUD TO BE A DEMOCRAT

That's gotta be a joke right?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The Constitution was written a hundred years ago? 1913? I do remember my grandfather telling me about meeting the founding fathers when he was a boy. Not sure when the Revolutionary and Civil Wars were now though.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom