• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Actually about half are over 21. A lot of them are on Mommy and Daddy's dime and, I think a lot more would have CHL's than you might think. And as for "take the time" that is my issue, they wouldn't. I just don't know how I feel about this yet. I didn't think I would have to think about, I didn't think it would go this far. I think they should at the very least allow the "professors" to be armed. I think I'm for it, but like I said I have not decided yet. I would like to think that they would act responsibly but if you are around when the bars close around campus (6th street, Austin) then you would understand my conflicting thoughts on this matter.

In regards to this issue no matter the number of students that do have CHL's and their actions in certain situations... I think we could see one of two outcomes... One we would see students begin to act in a more mature manner as they risk losing their CHL in certain situations ir two they continue their actions as before and we will see a lot of students who had CHL's and then quickly got them revoked...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    ". . . . . .challenges" inherent in student life — such as stress, immaturity, alcohol, personal conflicts and strong emotions — might not be the ideal climate for weapons.. . . ."

I guess all these things go away after kids graduate college. . . . . . . .

Here is my beef, it seems to me that a lot of yall think of all (or most) college students as immature frat boys.

I'm 23, graduated with a BS in 2008, and am currently at UTHSCSA working on my MD.
    I bought my first handgun at 22, then got my CHL when I just turned 23 (then another couple handguns after that to carry : )

I bring this up to say that I am very recently graduated from college and have a pretty good idea of college life.

Most college upper classmen are very mature. There are many idiots, but most of those guys go away by the time they get older. At my institution, something like half the a class had a degree within six years.

I don't think it is a good argument just letting professors carry. Either you let CHL holders carry, or you don't. College is a fun place with lots of opportunities for people to do tons of things, like study abroad or live in the dorms with 20 or people your own age. I don't see why people think college campuses are special in its problems.

All I'm saying is that you aren't giving the 21 and 22 year olds in college enough credit for being mature. There are more opportunites to act immature, but that doesn't mean that a college student wouldn't understand or appriciate all aspects of gun owndership and of the CHL.

Sorry for rambling.

My only beef with this bill is that University hospital's wouldn't be covered. (aka I can't carry at school)

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    ". . . . . .challenges" inherent in student life — such as stress, immaturity, alcohol, personal conflicts and strong emotions — might not be the ideal climate for weapons.. . . ."

I guess all these things go away after kids graduate college. . . . . . . .

Here is my beef, it seems to me that a lot of yall think of all (or most) college students as immature frat boys.

I'm 23, graduated with a BS in 2008, and am currently at UTHSCSA working on my MD.
    I bought my first handgun at 22, then got my CHL when I just turned 23 (then another couple handguns after that to carry : )

I bring this up to say that I am very recently graduated from college and have a pretty good idea of college life.

Most college upper classmen are very mature. There are many idiots, but most of those guys go away by the time they get older. At my institution, something like half the a class had a degree within six years.

I don't think it is a good argument just letting professors carry. Either you let CHL holders carry, or you don't. College is a fun place with lots of opportunities for people to do tons of things, like study abroad or live in the dorms with 20 or people your own age. I don't see why people think college campuses are special in its problems.

All I'm saying is that you aren't giving the 21 and 22 year olds in college enough credit for being mature. There are more opportunites to act immature, but that doesn't mean that a college student wouldn't understand or appriciate all aspects of gun owndership and of the CHL.

Sorry for rambling.

My only beef with this bill is that University hospital's wouldn't be covered. (aka I can't carry at school)

I think a lot of us would agree with you.

Well, until that last sentence.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I was under the impression that University hospitals and athletic events would still be no carry zones.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    In regards to this issue no matter the number of students that do have CHL's and their actions in certain situations... I think we could see one of two outcomes... One we would see students begin to act in a more mature manner as they risk losing their CHL in certain situations ir two they continue their actions as before and we will see a lot of students who had CHL's and then quickly got them revoked...
    That is what I was saying all along. Only I also throw in that some one has to do something stupid to get the CHL revoked.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Texas42, I never said that I think all students are "frat" guy's. I have no problem with a 21 year old person getting and carrying a CH. I do think that we should allow CHL holders to carry a concealed hand gun to their college class.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Big country, The sorority houses that you work at are located in West campus, which is predominatly the party crowd of the under age range. Now I am by no means attacking you, but West Campus isn't known for having a whole lot of 21+ people. They go to sixth street with fake ID's, and do indeed suck off their mother's teet. Guns on campus is the best idea as of yet, and trust me, there are guns already being carried.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Big country, The sorority houses that you work at are located in West campus, which is predominantly the party crowd of the under age range. Now I am by no means attacking you, but West Campus isn't known for having a whole lot of 21+ people. They go to sixth street with fake ID's, and do indeed suck off their mother's teet. Guns on campus is the best idea as of yet, and trust me, there are guns already being carried.
    The people I'm talking about are the over 21 crowd that I was exposed to. I don't take this as an attack and I by no means am an expert on the whole campus. I just think that there needs to be serious thought put into this. I will say this right now to clear up any smoke in the air I'M FOR THE CAMPUS CARY BILL, I'M FOR THE 21+ STUDENTS GETING THERE CHL AND CARYING A CONCEALED HANDGUN. I'm not yelling I'm highlighting with caps lock. I just wanted to provoke some extra thought on the mater. I'm on our side I promise you I support the bill. And LL is right that part of campus is the "party" side and there are a lot of drunken kids with fake ID's over there But I do not include them in this as they are not able to obtain a CHL.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I think we need to drop the whole student/21+ being mature enough to have a CHL or carry idea. It's not the issue and right now, 21+ anywhere in the state can apply for a CHL. We don't want to give anyone any ideas. Party or not, some 21+ that are in college at least show some sort of responsibility. Next, people will start saying the 21+ that didn't go to college or that didn't graduate from HS aren't mature enough etc. etc.

I just think the productive focus is on the CC bill which impacts CHL holders. And that's it.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I hear you, Big Country. Loud and clear.

I really don't think there is many people who are disagreeing, at least not here. I think I may have been a little sensitive to the general descrioption of college students. Not to any comment in particular nor from any particular person. More from the thoughts I have gotten from people who were anti-gun in general.

There is obviously some peopel who are not mature enough to get CHL's, and they either wouldn't get them or not keep them long.

Again, I don't think anyone is accusing you, Big Country.

i think what alot of very intelligent and gun friendly people think is that you shouldn't need a gun at school. They FEEL schools are (should) be a place of learning and SHOULD be safe. Therefore you shouldn't need a gun.

This logic is obviously false, considering the many schools shootings, but many people still have this idea ingrained in them IMO. It isn't rational, but I believe it is there.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You are right you shouldn't need a gun on a college campus while in class. But I feel the need is there. With school shootings on the rise I don't think it will stop school shootings from occurring. I do think it will bring them to an end faster than if the victims could only wait on the police to get there. All in all it would be a good thing tho.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    You are right you shouldn't need a gun on a college campus while in class. But I feel the need is there. With school shootings on the rise I don't think it will stop school shootings from occurring. I do think it will bring them to an end faster than if the victims could only wait on the police to get there. All in all it would be a good thing tho.

As an elementary school teacher I don't need to pack currently in the classroom... do I think that there will be a time when I might need to if I stay in elementary schools?... God I hope not... but considering I've been punched twice this year and have had to confiscate two knives, one of which was almost identical to the one my brother has gutted a coyote with, I'd say the time is coming soon sadly to think about teachers getting the privilege...

my next addition to this topic is that on a college campus I do think that it is an appropriate place for this... I know that CHL holders are typically more privy to current laws and also to alternative means of conflict resolution... CHL holder or not I think that second part is something that a majority of college students could benefit from... will CHL holders mix carrying and drinking on a college campus?... some might argue a most resounding yes, some might say maybe... I'd like to argue that as far as the CHL holders that I have talked to go the vast majority of them are very particuliar about safeguarding themselves from stepping over that fine line of legality... so I think college campuses would benefit from CHL holders permeating them and my fingers are crossed hoping it will pass...

Top Bottom