• MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Well a step in the right direction!
    Senate OKs guns at Texas colleges | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com

AUSTIN — The Senate gave preliminary approval Tuesday to legislation that would allow concealed handguns at colleges and universities, but with less than two weeks left in the 2009 Legislature, the bill’s ultimate outcome is uncertain.
    "That’s the real question. I don’t know the answer to that," said Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, when asked whether there is enough time to win final passage in the Senate and rush the bill through the House before the June 1 adjournment.
    The bill would allow Texans who have concealed-handgun permits to carry the weapons into college and university buildings, classrooms and dormitories. Wentworth said permit holders can currently carry guns onto campuses, but not into buildings.
    The measure would apply to all colleges and universities, but private institutions, such as Texas Christian University and Texas Wesleyan University, could opt out of the requirements and ban handguns. State-supported institutions, such as the University of Texas at Arlington and the University of North Texas in Denton, would be required to comply.
    The 20-10 vote came as somewhat of a surprise since gun legislation appeared in peril in the closing days of the session. Sens. Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound, and Chris Harris, R-Arlington, voted for the bill, while Sen. Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth, opposed it.
    Davis said she believes that the governing bodies of individual colleges and universities should get to decide whether to allow guns.
    'Sitting ducks’
    Wentworth pointed out that the bill would apply only to those who meet the requirements for carrying concealed handguns in Texas, meaning that no one under 21 could legally carry weapons on campuses.
    It would thus apply primarily to seniors, graduate students, faculty members and administrators and not to younger undergraduates, Wentworth said.
    Countering arguments that the bill would pose a safety threat, Wentworth contended that permitting guns on campus could help spare Texas from campus violence, such as the slayings of 32 students by a mentally unstable student at Virginia Tech in April 2007.
    "College kids can get picked off like sitting ducks like they were in Virginia Tech," Wentworth said.
    Campus concerns
    But campus officials have expressed concern about injecting guns into populous and socially combustible campus settings. The University of Texas System, with 200,000 students at 15 institutions, warned that the "challenges" inherent in student life — such as stress, immaturity, alcohol, personal conflicts and strong emotions — might not be the ideal climate for weapons.
    Kristin Sullivan, assistant vice president for media relations at UT-Arlington, said the university "supports" the position of UT System Chancellor Francisco G. Cigarroa, who expressed concerns about the legislation in a statement this month.
    "There are many stresses that sometimes can lead to depression and labile emotions," Cigarroa said. "Individuals with concealed handguns on campus would make it very difficult for law enforcement officers to correctly identify an active shooter or shooters during a crisis situation."
    TCU, Baylor University and Southern Methodist University have also expressed concerns about the bill. Don Mills, TCU’s vice chancellor for student affairs, has said that the legislation "would make the campus less safe rather than more safe."
    Capitol Armory ad

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    What do you mean, Big?
    I thought the libs at UT alone would be enough to put this down, and quick! But surprisingly there are steps, baby steps but steps. I have also done night security for two of the sorority houses for UT. That being said I do see a little bit of an issue with having an armed frat boy (or sorority girl) running around. That is not a good idea in my opinion, but the right should still be there. I just didn't think it would make it this far, and now I will just watch the show and see how it ends. That is all I meant.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I thought the libs at UT alone would be enough to put this down, and quick! But surprisingly there are steps, baby steps but steps. I have also done night security for two of the sorority houses for UT. That being said I do see a little bit of an issue with having an armed frat boy (or sorority girl) running around. That is not a good idea in my opinion, but the right should still be there. I just didn't think it would make it this far, and now I will just watch the show and see how it ends. That is all I meant.

How many "...frat boy (or sorority girl) running around..." are over 21 thus able to have a CHL? Some, but not all. How many that are 21+ take the time, or have the money to get a CHL? Some, but not all...

I can keep going and we'll end up with 2 guys at UT and maybe 2-3 at A&M legally carrying concealed handguns.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    How many "...frat boy (or sorority girl) running around..." are over 21 thus able to have a CHL? Some, but not all. How many that are 21+ take the time, or have the money to get a CHL? Some, but not all...

I can keep going and we'll end up with 2 guys at UT and maybe 2-3 at A&M legally carrying concealed handguns.
    Actually about half are over 21. A lot of them are on Mommy and Daddy's dime and, I think a lot more would have CHL's than you might think. And as for "take the time" that is my issue, they wouldn't. I just don't know how I feel about this yet. I didn't think I would have to think about, I didn't think it would go this far. I think they should at the very least allow the "professors" to be armed. I think I'm for it, but like I said I have not decided yet. I would like to think that they would act responsibly but if you are around when the bars close around campus (6th street, Austin) then you would understand my conflicting thoughts on this matter.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Actually about half are over 21. A lot of them are on Mommy and Daddy's dime and, I think a lot more would have CHL's than you might think. And as for "take the time" that is my issue, they wouldn't. I just don't know how I feel about this yet. I didn't think I would have to think about, I didn't think it would go this far. I think they should at the very least allow the "professors" to be armed. I think I'm for it, but like I said I have not decided yet. I would like to think that they would act responsibly but if you are around when the bars close around campus (6th street, Austin) then you would understand my conflicting thoughts on this matter.

I'm sure it's not much different than most any college town. But if they are out doing what college kids do, they'd already be in violation if they were carrying anyway. You'd hope that they'd think about that ahead of time and leave it home.

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    Let me take a stab at this here. There are two different issues at work. One issue is whether or not those that are licensed to carry concealed firearms should be able to carry into buildings on college campuses (because you can already carry on the campus grounds, just not into the buildings). The other issue is whether or not 21-year olds are mature enough to get a concealed carry license.

As for the first issue, there is no difference between a building on a college campus and a building on a street corner, except that the college campus buildings (state colleges - private institutions are a different matter) are public property. If the state deems that carrying in a building on the street corner is acceptable, as long as the building owner says it's OK, then why should the state deem that carrying on their property is unacceptable.

As for the second issue, some are and some aren't. I could say the same thing about 40- and 50-year olds. That is a whole different matter.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Let me take a stab at this here. There are two different issues at work. One issue is whether or not those that are licensed to carry concealed firearms should be able to carry into buildings on college campuses (because you can already carry on the campus grounds, just not into the buildings). The other issue is whether or not 21-year olds are mature enough to get a concealed carry license.

As for the first issue, there is no difference between a building on a college campus and a building on a street corner, except that the college campus buildings (state colleges - private institutions are a different matter) are public property. If the state deems that carrying in a building on the street corner is acceptable, as long as the building owner says it's OK, then why should the state deem that carrying on their property is unacceptable.

As for the second issue, some are and some aren't. I could say the same thing about 40- and 50-year olds. That is a whole different matter.

Exactly, and that one doesn't matter because nothing is going to change with that one.

Now everyone go look at the thread regarding the campus carry bill and start calling and faxing.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'm sure it's not much different than most any college town. But if they are out doing what college kids do, they'd already be in violation if they were carrying anyway. You'd hope that they'd think about that ahead of time and leave it home.
    My point is that they may not think about that and leave it at home. I think it is a good Idea and I support it to some extent. Starker said what I was trying to say for the most part. So I'll just shut up till I think I should add my pennies to the jar again.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Ok, I'll jump back in here.
    I want to see the bill passed because it does give a young individual the right to carry on campus and into the frat.

Now mind you a lot of college kids are brats due to mommy and daddy not yanking the teet out of their mouth.

But for those that are responsible, they deserve the right.

Another thing to consider is that most of these kids that would consider CCW have a little different attitude towards gun ownership; at least wise the ones I have met.
    They understand the implications of reckless behavior and respect the privileged of CCW.

Remember one thing. The majority of young people that did not grow up in a gun culture are afraid of guns. Mommy and Dadums never owned guns, never allowed guns in the house and tried like hell to keep their little kido's away from gun toten folks.

We are evil remember. ROFLMAO!!!!

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The age issue is a non-issue but it sounds lie some of you would like to be selective what 21 yr old's should be allowed to carry. That's scary. There are 21 year old's that are more capable than 50 yr. old's but that's the way it is no matter what we're talking about.

It's a slippery slope.......it's also kind of a double standard.

But it's a moot issue so I'll shut up.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I didn't bring up the age factor, y'all did. I don't care how old they are. there are 18 year old commissioned security officers. I agree with a statement that I saw earlier in this thread forgive me as I've forgotten who posted it. "Those that are responsible enough to carry on campus should be allowed to do so" I never said I was against this I just never said I was for it. So don't think that I'm against the carrying of a concealed hand gun on campus because I'm not.

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    Even if only 2-3 students have concealed handguns on campus, the next Cho or Klebold will think twice about going on a rampage in a TX university. I say let us carry. The CHL is already a model citizen card, regardless of your age.

In short, it will not become the wild west as many fear. It never does.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Big, I don't think he meant you specifically. I think he is referring to the argument that the antis give. That is one of their big ones along with a student that shoots a teacher because he got a B- instead of a B+.
    When I'm president we will let college kids have guns okay! Actually Navy Guy will have to make that call if he is to be Director of HS.

Top Bottom