• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    This condition is not unique to Texas, but is most common in Texas, excepting East Texas.

Synonyms are "Deer Blind Trauma", etc.

Through the South & East Texas, much deer hunting is done with use of "climbing seats", used on medium size pine trees. Over 2/3 of Texas has no pine trees, or insufficient numbers to dependably be reiied upon. So, those areas customarily and most usually use elevated "Box Blinds", which are often set-up high for hunter vision improvement.

Many deer lease groups hold annual lease-prep "work" events in which their member-hunters make the trek to the Ranch for ostensibly preparing blinds, feeders, trails, etc. Camp clean-up is another big part. In truth, those are gigantic "Boys Weekends Out " parties with BBQ's, story-telling, bragging, scouting, weapons checks, in addition to refurbishment of their blinds. During off season, binds are targets of trespassers, children, wasps, snakes, owls, and many other sources of problems. So, blinds are re-cleaned, seats replaced, hinges lubricated, port window glasses cleaned, etc.

Back in the late 1970's & early 80's, we began to notice an unusual combination of injuries to these folks at Texas Medical Center. Investigations revealed that they were caused by men falling off-of their blinds during cleaning & prep work. Further, these were mostly middle age guys with pot guts, out-of-shape, and D-drunk. These injuries are characterized by fractures of one or both heel bones and of several lumbar vertebrae.

Soon someone noted: Deer season doesn't begin until late November, but these injuries happen in September or October. Well, when actually hunting deer, the folks are INSIDE their blinds, and mostly sober; so protected.

Once these relationships were recognized, we began getting reports of similar cases from all over much of Texas.

So, Y'all be careful out at the Ranch this Fall !

leVieux
    Hurley's Gold

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    So, Y'all be careful out at the Ranch this Fall !

leVieux

. Will do. We go to our lease every 6-8 weeks. So, by late September to mid-October we're only planting oats and refilling feeders. No drinking, until all the day's work is completed. All of us use Feeders with a wench to raise or lower feeder barrel, so no ladders anymore.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    . Will do. We go to our lease every 6-8 weeks. So, by late September to mid-October we're only planting oats and refilling feeders. No drinking, until all the day's work is completed. All of us use Feeders with a wench to raise or lower feeder barrel, so no ladders anymore.
    Post pic of your "wench",Please.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Post pic of your "wench",Please.
    Wench lifting a barrel.

1634677058583.png

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I ain't quite as steady as I once was.

I still acsend and descend like a mountain goat.

I ain't tripped nor fell in decades.

I do, however, know my limitations.

Top Bottom