• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I recently relocated to a rural property with a house and a cabin. Each has its own septic system. The cabin has about a 3-400 gallon system (fiberglass), and is probably 30 years old and is about 20 years old. The house has a 1,500 gallon system (dual tanks). Neither has ever been pumped.
    I'm having some odor inside the cabin but no other issues. The house system works fine.
    I have contacted a local septic company and will have both pumped in the next few weeks. Even though I'm not having any real issues, I want them cleaned out so I'm starting over with my own excrement, so to speak. It's too wet and muddy right now, and next week calls for more rain.
    Once I have them pumped, do I introduce enzymes (bugs) or just let nature take it's course? Ive heard RidX praised and scorned!
    What do you do/recommend for maintaining a traditional, seep field septic system?
    Target Sports

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I've used Rid X for the last few decades and never had to pump my tanks. The folks I bought the place from used it too, so I didn't pump them when I moved in.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Odor inside or outside? If inside as mentioned, possible the wax ring. Might also check the drain vents. they might have some obstruction.

I dump a box of enzymes in the system once a month. 500 gall septic system, Only had it pumped once about six years ago.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ancient Country Boy secret.....coupla packets of yeast a month or two does wonders.....and is a LOT cheaper.

But as noted....if the odor is inside the house, the most likely culprit is a "P" trap that's drying out from non-use. Simplest thing to do is go in every couple of weeks and run a quart or two of water in EVERY sink/tub/fixture. Another "Country Boy" tip....a couple of cups of Copper Sulfate every few months - put it in a commode, and flush well. It will kill any roots trying to enter your drain pipes - won't hurt anything else.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Ancient Country Boy secret.....coupla packets of yeast a month or two does wonders.....and is a LOT cheaper.

But as noted....if the odor is inside the house, the most likely culprit is a "P" trap that's drying out from non-use. Simplest thing to do is go in every couple of weeks and run a quart or two of water in EVERY sink/tub/fixture. Another "Country Boy" tip....a couple of cups of Copper Sulfate every few months - put it in a commode, and flush well. It will kill any roots trying to enter your drain pipes - won't hurt anything else.
    This is what I'm talking about! Good advice! The cabin stays vacant except for when the kids visit.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Homemade Rid X: combine active yeast with warm water, sugar and cornmeal - flush the mixture down just one of your toilets.

Does your washing machine drain into the septic, or into the yard?

My grandmother did something similar years ago. After she made a pan of cornbread, she would add some warm water to the bowl she mixed it in and then pour into the toilet and flush it.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    It's important....the less bleach, hydrogen peroxide, etc - ANYTHING designed to kill bacteria - you flush into your septic, the better. And NEVER allow women's sanitary napkins to be flushed.
    Any wimmens I have round here stopped needing "sanitary" napkins long ago! All the DIL's be snipped! But I've got four ganddaughters from 2-8 yo, so I guess I'll have another round of that before long!

dartsinsa

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2018
    Katy, TX
    I noticed the same thing in my cabin, which had been empty for at least a year. When i redid the floors, i pulled the throne and the wax ring was basically gone. Put a new throne in (chair height, elongated) because dammit a man needs to be comfortable and the problem is gone.
    My house here in Katy has a problem every now and again with the overflow on the sinks. I try to pour water in the overflow every month, and some bleach a couple times a year. Just a poor design, which allows some water to stay trapped.
    I probably need to start using some RID X or something, but I am not there everyday.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Disgusted George Wendt GIF by CBS All Access

Top Bottom