• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I wondered how this would hit ME, a typical middle class person. Well my daughter is applying for financial aid and stuff to start college this fall. They have quit the funding for work study and other programs, still to be determined. So this will hit us in the $$$$. I wonder where else we will feel it.. I guess time will tell. I am seriously thinking she should just live at home and do the community college route the 1st two years. Save all the $$ and then transfer.
    Gun Zone Deals

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Wait until all the illegals start breaking into you house and vehicles. Since they are only releasing them in Red border states to try and force the republicans to do what they want.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The effects are mostly part of a political game Obama I playing.

The cuts could be made with much less impact but he is going to try to make it painful then blame the republicans.

So far the blame game hasn't been working to well for him on this issue.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    The cuts could be made with much less impact but he is going to try to make it painful then blame the republicans.
    Yep. Even though there are bound to be a number of ways to save money in various departments of government, he wants some high-profile hurt to campaign against. It's kind of like someone coming up to you and telling you they are required to poke you with a stick, then proceed to jam it in your eye.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I wondered how this would hit ME, a typical middle class person. Well my daughter is applying for financial aid and stuff to start college this fall. They have quit the funding for work study and other programs, still to be determined. So this will hit us in the $$$$. I wonder where else we will feel it.. I guess time will tell. I am seriously thinking she should just live at home and do the community college route the 1st two years. Save all the $$ and then transfer.

Does your daughter really know what she wants to major in or what she wants to become? I don't think most kids that age really do. I made my daughter get an associates degree at the local community college first. (technically I didn't make her, I just told here that's the only thing I would pay for). I'm not exactly sure why, or where, or how, but a few months into her second year, something changed. She suddenly changed her study habits, and went from doing ok to straight A's, and she told us she had decided what she was going to become. It was something completely out of left field, and in no way related to anything that the community college even offered, but the path had become clear to her and she followed it. She breezed through UTA after that and did what she set out to do.

I will add that she grew up in a small town and part of my idea with community college was to keep her from being overwhelmed by the large campus/big town thing. It may not work for you, but it worked well for me.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I think you'll see the college programs back up and running soon. Too many potential voters to upset.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Finish high school with a diploma. Spend one year abroad (cheaper than college tuition), then enroll in a community college or in a trades-school.

Just paid a plumber $380 bucks to install a water heater and water softener. He did first class work, and labor came out to about $85/hour (including parts).

The job included cutting off old copper supply lines, sweating on new fittings, and installing new connections.

I don't know a single college fellow I went to school with who could do that, except for one, who is Boeing engineer who works on the Space Station and restores old Pontiacs.

Not only did the plumber have pride in his work, he did the unthinkable: He cleaned up, hauled off the old water heater and water softener, and hauled off all the packaging for the new appliances.

College is not for everyone, and while the plumber plied his trade, he told me of his love of travel to Europe and beyond.

I hope I helped to fund his next trip!

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    The first two years are typically the same courses at most schools. Stick to the basics so that the credits will transfer. I had to fight with a university to get some credits transferred but I got it done.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I totally agree with the idea of getting the transferable basic courses done in CC and then moving on to a university if they're still committed. You can also get college credits via advance placement courses in high school if you do well enough in the classes and exams.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Start her off in community college. Sending them straight to university is nuts.
    This... she might decide she only wants a two year degree anyways. Does she want to goto UT? It can be tough getting admitted to UT, but if you goto ACC first it's a heck of a lot easier getting admitted.

tdwhite03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    If y'all go the community college route check out the 2+2 programs offered. That way she will only take classes that will transfer to the university she wants to attend.

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    My Mother In Law is getting furloughed 16 hrs a month at Darnell Army Hospital at Ft. Hood. She's a civilian nurse in the ER.

Top Bottom