Serial number check?

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by exotictouch, Jul 7, 2009.

1. exotictouch

exotictouch New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm not sure if this is the right place but I wanted to know if someone has access to NCIC ( if SN check is possible :confused:) or any means of determining whether a handgun is stolen property or not. I have been offered a trade for a SIG P220 .45 (sn# G128354) in place of some of my car audio equipment. The trade seems a little too good to be true so I want to make sure this gun is legit first. Is there a way to determine whether the gun is stolen or not? My location is Houston, Tx btw if that makes any difference.

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There is no way for you to call and ask the police to check the serial number of a gun you do not posses, at least that I am aware of.

Once you have the gun I imagine you could take it to your local Law Enforcement agency and inquire. However, if it IS stolen you would lose possession of it.

I'd walk away if I was uncomfortable.

3. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    You might try your local law enforcement agency, they may be able to help you, worth a shot

4. exotictouch

exotictouch New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ya thats what I thought but I would hate to lose my money or, more specifically, electronics just to bring it into the PD and lose the gun and be questioned to death about it.

5. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    If the guy says it's legit, ask him to go to the local P.D. so they can check it in front of you. If he refuses, it may be an indicator something's not quite right.

6. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Feel free to ask me to do that - an' I'll feel free to send you on down the road. Sorry - but I ain't gonna go into a PD and try to prove something I own is "really" mine. If you're that nervous about it, that's your right - and it's mine to decline. It doesn't mean that I'm nervous, it means that I don't have time to mess with all that.

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    If you trade for the gun and then take it to the PD and it is hot, then couldn't you just tell the police where you got the stolen gun and get your stuff back? I'm not sure. But I would think you could.

8. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    No. The police could not even charge the person whom he traded for unless they can establish he knew it was stolen when he took possession of it.

9. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Thanks for the clarification. :happy0001:

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    "in Texas being in possession of stolen property isn't a crime,"

This is not exactly true. The statute reads;

PC section 31.03 Theft

(a)A person commits an offense if he unlawfully appropriates property with intent to deprive the owner of property.
    (b)Approprtiation of property is unlawful if:
    (1) it is without the owners effective consent;
    (2) the property is stolen and the actor appropriates the property knowing it was stolen by another; or.........................

It is a crime in Texas to possess stolen property under specific circumstances.

If the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. Walk away.