• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mars919

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    I had a Makarov pistol replated, about 13 years ago, but when I got it back the nickel or chrome was over the number, and not visible at all. Recently I wanted another finish on it and the folks, out of state, did not want to touch it. Is it against state law to have a gun with the serial number covered over, not visible? I m willing to guess the number was just plated over, not removed. I also think the business is no longer alive. I am trying to find out.
    It was done in the Dallas area. I live in Lubbock.
    Capitol Armory ad

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    What kind of plating was done that would be so thick that it made the serial number vanish? And you can't see any sign of the serial number, at all?

I have a hard time thinking that a firearm refinisher that is reputable would do such a thing. But then again, you say they're out of business?

I don't know what laws are involved but I wouldn't think that someone can't at least strip a finish so reveal the serial.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I had the same issue when they parked my Maddi AK.I had to search my records to hunt down the number.The serial number's were lightly stamped.Luckily I take pictures of my guns and keep the receipts for insurance purposes.I went to a gunsmith to have the numbers put back on the rifle.Better to be safe than sorry.

mars919

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Gun replating

No joke, I will try and send of photo of it. I also kept the serial number stored away. And what helped me to trust this service, as I was a avid listener to "Texas Overnight", with Charlie Jones. I heard the adverstiment on his show about 13 years ago. The fee was only 65.00, and the gun looked very good. I didn't question the missing serial number, I figured they knew what they were doing. Just recently have I become aware of the possible trouble.

mars919

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    photos

Im doing something wrong I cannot post the photograph. Anyways, the folk have my slide, and I rather the frame match, but since they did'nt want to touch it, I'm sort of pissed. Wish I had never sent it now. But I want the serial number replaced legally and I want to know ATF and Texas law.

September- Mars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    one more try at photos

one last attempt to display where the s/n was located

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
      IMG_0056.jpg
      60 KB · Views: 179

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The pic is a little blurry, and big as hell but I think you explained what's happened pretty well. It's showing up in post #7 with your new user name.

I'm not sure what the laws are but you might contact the ATF to ask.

BTW, why did you create a new user name?

mars919

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    mars919 to september

I could not seem to get the jpeg to work, it kept giving me an error. This is my digital cam so Im still learning. Yes, t that is exactly what I have done, contact the regional atf.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom