• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    When MP's pointed the speed radar at y'all. Did y'all know it? Did it set anything off?

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    Flew Cobras and Apaches. Was never aware of any MP's painting us with their radar gun. But then again, I assume most MP's would be on the road with their radar gun on post. Can't remember ever flying low enough along a road on post that MP would be traveling to be painted by one. Why do you ask?

A friend got painted with a lasar range finder from a Russian Hind along the Fulda Gap once. They knew it because the Cobra front seater was watching the Hind thru the telescopic sights when it happened. Somehow (I'm not sure how), he saw a super bright flash from the Hind. The Army flew them both to Monterey, CA for testing of their eyes to check for damage. None was found.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Flew Cobras and Apaches. Was never aware of any MP's painting us with their radar gun. But then again, I assume most MP's would be on the road with their radar gun on post. Can't remember ever flying low enough along a road on post that MP would be traveling to be painted by one. Why do you ask?

A friend got painted with a lasar range finder from a Russian Hind along the Fulda Gap once. They knew it because the Cobra front seater was watching the Hind thru the telescopic sights when it happened. Somehow (I'm not sure how), he saw a super bright flash from the Hind. The Army flew them both to Monterey, CA for testing of their eyes to check for damage. None was found.
    Cobra vs Apache? I know they are very different but which did you prefer?

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    Cobra vs Apache? I know they are very different but which did you prefer?

That's a really tough question. I have tons more hours in the Cobra (AH-1S FM) and I love it. Not very many hours in the Apache in comparison. But, I have to say that even though the Cobra is my first love, the Apache is a serioulsly fun airframe to fly. And in a gun fight, definitely the Apache. Though I hear really good things about the AH-1Z Super Cobra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

I pointed a k band radar at helicopters on the air field all the time. Running, fixin to take off. If I had to patrol north fort hood out by the old Japanese camp(hwy 36 to Gatesville) I pointed the radar at everything flying around range road.

Another MP had said it didn't do anything unless the helicopters master 'switch' was set to war. Then the onboard radar system would supposedly detect it as a radar lock or some stuff.

It was just a way MP's kept themselves entertained. Never knew if it worked. That's why I ask.

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Kyle my man...you need to open a window. Lol

My puffin ain't got nothing to do with it. . I was in a hook company support for the cobras.
    I was young. But got to train as a gunner on them. First Gen laser helmets. Love every minute of it.
    Texas sayin dance with the one who bung ya

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    It's my window I need to open. Looks like the movie backdraft in here...lol

There was a secure container alarm at an airfield I had to check out. By East gate.

These machines close up were incredible. I especially enjoyed the skull designs on the fuselage. One helicopter was the magnum PI looking job. With a huge radar thingy above the blades.

Everything in that hanger was straight flying death. Pretty neat stuff.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    North side of 36. All I ever found was busted concrete slabs.

One night I took some dirt road back there. It was a patrol car. I drove a while. I had a fellow MP with me.

I came across a huge inflatable hanger. No roads to it. The area wasn't shown on PMO maps. It also was lighted up. Glowed like a deem chem light. That's how I spotted it. Looked like a big glowing hanger made from a birthday bouncy thing. The road we was on ended. The hanger was still about 500 yards. There was no other roads we knew about that went out there. We were the cops, so you'd think we be privy. Nope.

We got the hell out of there. We didn't report shit. Didn't tell a soul. CIA type things, are for which to not **** around with.

Wanna get freaked out??? Visit the German grave yard. It's out there too. It's shown on maps. There's a listed road that go's right to it. When the government took the land from the local Germans. The graveyard wasn't moved. It's still private property. Surrounded 360 by federal land.

I double dog dare you to walk into that graveyard at night. ~Wearing an Army uniform. They will make it known you're not welcomed.

Think this is bullshit? Go out there and see.

Last edited:

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Old Japanese camp? Do you mean the metal chicken shacks National Guard soldiers had to stay in during AT? I had to spend a week in those things in 2003 when our flight to Kuwait was delayed due to weather. A good friend of mine has cattle on Ft Hood. His ranch borders North Fort.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    There's another graveyard back behind the airfield near Copperas Cove.

I was looking at the N. Fort Hood graveyard and I'm seeing a lot of dirt roads up there! I'm curious if I'd catch much trouble if I got caught exploring around there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I always thought the Apaches were cooler, but that was from close up looking, no flight experience.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I was a 15R (AH-64D Longbow Crew Chief) we used to mess with our pilots every once in a while on take off or while running up by hitting them with laser rangefinders.

Top Bottom