• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I wanted to fly the Mohawk. Applied for fixed wing training/cert twice. But it just wasn't happening

in between VN tours, when I was stationed in the FRG, there was a push by the Army to have all fixed wing aviators dual qualified - they even had a rotary wing "school" in Germany to facilitate that mandate - I did everything I could think of (leave - voluntary TDY assignments, etc) to keep from going to that school - and it worked

after my 2nd VN tour I left country without reassignment orders !!!!! when I got to Ft Lewis I called Branch (Infantry) to see what they planned on doing with me - "the Career Course, chopper transition and back to VN for a 3rd tour".

I only had a few months left on my commitment so I told 'em "no" and gave 'em my 9 years - Branch asked where I wanted to be assigned for those last remaining months - "close to home of record" - so I was assigned to Ft MacArthur, Ca doing nothing but putting my boots up on a desk for that bit of time until I was released

I left the Army with a bad taste in my mouth (but very appreciative for the Aviation training, as I spent the next 31 years as a Commercial Pilot with Continental Airlines

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    in between VN tours, when I was stationed in the FRG, there was a push by the Army to have all fixed wing aviators dual qualified - they even had a rotary wing "school" in Germany to facilitate that mandate - I did everything I could think of (leave - voluntary TDY assignments, etc) to keep from going to that school - and it worked

after my 2nd VN tour I left country without reassignment orders !!!!! when I got to Ft Lewis I called Branch (Infantry) to see what they planned on doing with me - "the Career Course, chopper transition and back to VN for a 3rd tour".

I only had a few months left on my commitment so I told 'em "no" and gave 'em my 9 years - Branch asked where I wanted to be assigned for those last remaining months - "close to home of record" - so I was assigned to Ft MacArthur, Ca doing nothing but putting my boots up on a desk for that bit of time until I was released

I left the Army with a bad taste in my mouth (but very appreciative for the Aviation training, as I spent the next 31 years as a Commercial Pilot with Continental Airlines

That's interesting. I've never knew about a push for dual qualification and a rotary school in Germany. What time frame was this? I joined in 75 and didn't go to flight school until 81

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Flew Cobras and Apaches. Was never aware of any MP's painting us with their radar gun. But then again, I assume most MP's would be on the road with their radar gun on post. Can't remember ever flying low enough along a road on post that MP would be traveling to be painted by one. Why do you ask?

A friend got painted with a lasar range finder from a Russian Hind along the Fulda Gap once. They knew it because the Cobra front seater was watching the Hind thru the telescopic sights when it happened. Somehow (I'm not sure how), he saw a super bright flash from the Hind. The Army flew them both to Monterey, CA for testing of their eyes to check for damage. None was found.
    '67 Vietnam. We were on the move along a road with rice paddies either side, supposed to be quiet AO, we were a platoon sized element. It seems like out of the blue we were taking fire and we headed into the paddies next to the side of the road we were on. Where are they? SIR, they are EVERYWHERE! We are literally surrounded with maybe a company sized element.

Do we have fire support? No SIR we are out of range, but contacting higher for gunship support.

Sir, we have Corbra's enroute, be here in less than 10

WHAT is a COBRA? Dunno

Inlaid Speeder 36 this is Cobra can you pop smoke?

Roger

And the rest is history, I will NEVER forget looking up with the mic in my hand we collectively saying saying HOLY CHIT what is that, today just thinking about it gives me goose bumps, what a sight to see those Cobra's dance around us. I suspect the bad guys were as surprised as we were.

NOTHING warms the heart of a Infantry soldier than seeing Cavalry rise up over the horizon, rotate and spew the fires of hell on bad guys.

Thanks!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I my biggest regret dealing with the military. Is taking 95b(MP) instead of what they offered me which was helicopter mechanic. This is one of my life's dumb ass mistakes.

I still get the urge to grab the clock hands. Set it back to that time at MEPS. With me saying,"why hell yeah, Ill take it"

Today I could be turning bolts on a leer jet full of hot women.

CRAP DAMMIt it all to hades

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    '67 Vietnam. We were on the move along a road with rice paddies either side, supposed to be quiet AO, we were a platoon sized element. It seems like out of the blue we were taking fire and we headed into the paddies next to the side of the road we were on. Where are they? SIR, they are EVERYWHERE! We are literally surrounded with maybe a company sized element.

Do we have fire support? No SIR we are out of range, but contacting higher for gunship support.

Sir, we have Corbra's enroute, be here in less than 10

WHAT is a COBRA? Dunno

Inlaid Speeder 36 this is Cobra can you pop smoke?

Roger

And the rest is history, I will NEVER forget looking up with the mic in my hand we collectively saying saying HOLY CHIT what is that, today just thinking about it gives me goose bumps, what a sight to see those Cobra's dance around us. I suspect the bad guys were as surprised as we were.

NOTHING warms the heart of a Infantry soldier than seeing Cavalry rise up over the horizon, rotate and spew the fires of hell on bad guys.

Thanks!
    Thanks sir for your service! !!!! Back to the original statement. A beautiful bird

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    That's interesting. I've never knew about a push for dual qualification and a rotary school in Germany. What time frame was this? I joined in 75 and didn't go to flight school until 81

;) between my 2 VN tours - 1st of '66 to mid '67 is when I was in the FRG (a bit before your time...) - the school was down somewhere around Munich

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I wanna ask the older vets a question.

Is a 'gook-a-lantern' a real thing? Has anyone here seen one personally?

I understand it's a morbid thing to ask about. I still wanna know.

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    I wanna ask the older vets a question.

Is a 'gook-a-lantern' a real thing? Has anyone here seen one personally?

I understand it's a morbid thing to ask about. I still wanna know.

I've never heard that term before. I assume it's from Vietnam, which was before my time. A Google search turned up empty. But I can imagine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've never heard that term before. I assume it's from Vietnam, which was before my time. A Google search turned up empty. But I can imagine

It's was described to me as a taking a dead enemy soldier. Removing one eye ball with a standard issue 45. Poking the other eye out.

Then you place a 90degree army flash light in the head cavity, that was excavated by the 45 round. Hanging the corpse in a tree. Flashlight is left turned on so the eye holes glow. Hence the name, 'gook-a-lantern'

This story was relayed to me by a Vietnam vet.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    It's was described to me as a taking a dead enemy soldier. Removing one eye ball with a standard issue 45. Poking the other eye out.

Then you place a 90degree army flash light in the head cavity, that was excavated by the 45 round. Hanging the corpse in a tree. Flashlight is left turned on so the eye holes glow. Hence the name, 'gook-a-lantern'

This story was relayed to me by a Vietnam vet.
    my uncle related the same story to me

Top Bottom