• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    i have an amazing Rifle dynamics AK-105 that's every AK lover's dream that i am having a hard time contemplating parting with.

My reasoning is this:

7n6/5.45 became popular because of cheap surplus. Yeah, we still get the surplus, but it's eventually going to run out and there isn't a single manufacturer that's making new product 5.45. I have 2 cases of new production WOLF, but i bought that.....3 years ago and haven't seen it since. Paid $.17/shot for it on a sale, but will shooting be willing to cough up .20/shot + for the round?

If surplus dries up, will 5.45 be a thing of the past? I sort of thing so.

It does not seem to be a long term viable caliber since we'll be dependant on the russians to produce it and with the way the regime in this country is, banning ammo imports is probably something in their toolbox.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Interesting...this is the caliber of one of the rifles I'm looking to buy. It had never crossed my mind if they stopped importation. Subscribed to hear everyone's thoughts. I think Hornady produces the round. If it did happened and they upped production I'd expect .223 prices, though.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    True, the cheap surplus ammo won't last forever, but consider the savings you have every time you pull the trigger over 7.62x39 or 5.56. If you shoot a lot, the amount you've saved will outpace the cost of the rifle. Even if 5.45x39 completely disappears, which I doubt, you could sell the rifle for scrap and still come out ahead. ...or re-barrel it for whatever caliber and keep on trucking.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    uh, what I meant to say in that last post was I agree with you that it's not a viable caliber, but I'll do you a favor and take that worthless hunk of metal off your hands for $300 ;)

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I am going to do the same thing with the AK74 I have. Its a really great gun, and I love using it, but the availability of ammo seems to be suspect and I don't want to stock pile thousands of rounds just to be able to shoot whenever I want..

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    When the surplus dries up other manufacturers will fill the void. Yes, it will cost more but your surely won't have to scrap your rifle.

If you like it, keep it and enjoy.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    it's been so long since i've fired it, when i got it moved out here, it was seized with rust. in the desert, cleaning a gun after shooting corrosive is not needed. Move out here where its humid.... i got rust.

a video is how awesome it really is:

Jim built this one for me off a saiga. it handles like a dream. just seem to prefer my ARs over it.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Well, seeing as how a lot of nations around the globe (particularly in the Middle East and Eastern Europe) either already predominantly using the AK74, or are looking to switch from the AK47 for various reasonings, chief amongst them being much improved accuracy for less-experienced shooters, surplus-grade ammunition will continue to be manufactured around the world. Once the surplus runs out, it'll be all too easy for dealers to import newer ammunition, or even for manufacturers to jump in to fill the gap in supply. It's an excellent round, and it shouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Well, seeing as how a lot of nations around the globe (particularly in the Middle East and Eastern Europe) either already predominantly using the AK74, or are looking to switch from the AK47 for various reasonings, chief amongst them being much improved accuracy for less-experienced shooters, surplus-grade ammunition will continue to be manufactured around the world. Once the surplus runs out, it'll be all too easy for dealers to import newer ammunition, or even for manufacturers to jump in to fill the gap in supply. It's an excellent round, and it shouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.

That's what I was going to ask about.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom