• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    This quoted for truth justice and merica!

All of it.

The training required to properly operate serpa under stress i.e. straight trigger finger using the pad of the finger to press the lock then transitioning to hooking the trigger finger into the trigger guard immediately after draw is just too much for peopl who have spent decades using their trigger fingers to press triggers. Under stress they almost always revert to pressing the lock with the tip of the finger and then if the draw stroke isnt perfect they press even harder to unlock the gun. Then disaster when the trigger finger slips into the trigger guard.

I have seen serpas lock up with the slightest bit of dirt rendering them useless.

Safariland allows anneasy transition from thumb snap or no thumb retention to pressing the button. You can also damn near repel from the holster mounted to a duty belt.
    Funny story, i had a friend come by, and as he's walking through a door, i notice he has a glock of some kind in a serpa. So i start talking shit, and he spins around to talk some shit back, and as he does the pistol's butt hits the frame of the door and sends the pistol and half the holster with it cartwheeling to the floor.

I've had to Dremel apart 3 serpas due to the locking mech, well, locking up

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Funny story, i had a friend come by, and as he's walking through a door, i notice he has a glock of some kind in a serpa. So i start talking shit, and he spins around to talk some shit back, and as he does the pistol's butt hits the frame of the door and sends the pistol and half the holster with it cartwheeling to the floor.

I've had to Dremel apart 3 serpas due to the locking mech, well, locking up
    Yep, serpa holsters are one half a step up from fobus strength wise. When we used to see friends with stuff in fobus holsters we would always grab and rotate and pop goes the rivits. Sometimes you have to apply a bit of pressure but usually them walking away was enough for them to twist right out.

It's a cheap lesson cause friends dont let friends wear fobus.

WAA

Sir, I decline to answer, respectfully.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2022
    Slab City
    *looks in box for something that says FOBUS*

Nope! I’m good!

(wtf is a fobus?? worth a google…)

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    *looks in box for something that says FOBUS*

Nope! I’m good!

(wtf is a fobus?? worth a google…)
    Cheap holster brand. Was advertised as tacticool Israeli kit. Was cheap Kydex like material riveted to other cheap Kydex like paddle. Rivets popped right out leaving paddle in pants and gun in holster shell.

The newer ones are called the evolution but still are riveted into thin polymer.

mogobodo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2022
    Dallas
    Gonna be another unpopular opinion. I still have, mine from my military days and working overseas contracting. My little brother had one issued to him, during a recent deployment, in an od green color so I know it wasn't old Army/Airforce stock, and they still are issued. I've worn one daily for almost a year and a half of my life and I've never ran into any issues, and worn one on other deployment. Granted the only problem I ever had with serpa is that it felt "cheap" compared to a safariland rig. Would I trust my life to one, sure.. but I think there's better options out there these days and those options can get a bit pricey, especially that nobody pays for my gear anymore. The weakpoint in the system imho is the mounting hardware. They were quite excellent streamlined for placing a handgun close to your body on your kit, and the successor T-Series was never nearly that compact. I picked up quite a few cheap serpas for more obscure handguns and they were cheap, probably due to the stigma. If it works for you keep em around. I still have/use several of them.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Cheap holster brand. Was advertised as tacticool Israeli kit. Was cheap Kydex like material riveted to other cheap Kydex like paddle. Rivets popped right out leaving paddle in pants and gun in holster shell.

The newer ones are called the evolution but still are riveted into thin polymer.

They at least reinforced the rivets with a thin steel bar - they're harder to break now than the older ones. They're still shit-tier though. I say that, wearing my 92X on my hip in a Fobus paddle holster, because it won't fit in my 92FS's IWB holster thanks to the rail. The 92FS is on-loan to someone at the moment, and I had no extra kydex to build a proper holster for it.

Not too many days hence, you could find holsters for all manner of Beretta pistols on any store's shelves. Today - literally only found the Fobus for a Beretta 92 at Academy, no local gun shops had Beretta holsters in stock. Shit, I can't even find 15 or 18 round mags in stock anywhere - every shop I checked said "oh, we can order them in" - Saddle River Range in Conroe had a pile of *10* round mags they must've got cheap somewhere. I want to get 3 more 18 round versions for working mags.

Top Bottom