• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Im thinking of making my own gun cleaning kits for different calibers so I can throw in the right box and have everything I need for that caliber.

I have some plastic tackle organize boxes that Im going to label 5.56,9mm 40 s&w and so forth. Example in the 5.56 box will have cleaning rods, bore brush, patches, rod ends, slp 2000 gun oil and cleaners, bore snake, nylon brush, shop rags, front sight tool, bore light and tools.

9mm box will have a cleaning rod, patches, bore brush, slp 2000 oil, bore snake, shop rag.

Sound good guys?
    Texas SOT

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I did some cleaning today and was thinking that I should be more organized. I don't think a separate box for each caliber would work for me, but maybe a tackle box separating things would be just right.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    CB, sounds like you are going to have many repeats if you have keep everything totally seperate. How about caliber specific items in little boxes, along with one bigger box that contains items that work for all calibers. There isn't any need for 20 little bottles of oil and bore lights and such for each caliber. Keep all that stuff in one box.

A good sized tackle box would be perfect, big compartments for general use items and smaller compartments for caliber specific items.

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    (I think we've been over this before CB... )
    I have a largish sized tackle box that I've fit everything I need into it for all of my guns with room to spare.
    When picking one out just be sure the top tray has at least one bin long enough for rods.
    The smaller slots work well for bore snakes, brushes and whatnots.
    I've got everything from rags to precision tool sets/kits in it.
    I keep my oils and solvents in the bottom.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    All my cleaning supplies/equip are in one small-medium tackle box. I've 7 different calibered arms.

Fisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    I just have a medium size tackle box stocked with general items that are needed for everything, then if I need a rifle lenght cleaning rod, I keep that seperate. Simple and works.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Do you really need brushes and cleaning rods if you've got the boresnake? Maybe I'm just naive, but damn if that thing doesn't seem to do the trick all by itself.

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    Do you really need brushes and cleaning rods if you've got the boresnake? Maybe I'm just naive, but damn if that thing doesn't seem to do the trick all by itself.

I think it's a matter of personal preferance:
    I found that bore snake brushes get matted down pretty quickly. I also don't want to mess with cleaning a bore snake fouled with solvents and oils.
    The standard bore brushes fit neatly into nooks & cranies other than just the barrel. Many of us also use little hand held brass precision cleaning brushes. All fall under the heading of "brushes". Traditional rods, patches, and swabs are an essential part of any cleaning kit for a myrid of reasons to numerous to list here, even if I thought I could cover them all.
    Bore snakes are great for range cleaning, a quick clean, or as part of a regular cleaning regimen, but all they can realistically clean is the throat, bore, and perhaps the ramp of a barrel. If you do a breakdown or detail clean you will need more than just a Bore Snake.
    I love Bore Snakes and wouldn't consider my cleaning kit complete without one for every caliber I own.
    But I belive every tool has it's place and using the right tool for the job.
    (And if you don't have the right tool - go buy it - don't 'make do' or you'll cost yourself more time and money in the long run...)

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I may be a little blessed as I have a bench set aside for my gun cleaning work. Rather than having a complete setup for each caliber, I use a Tipton Jag and brush set (26 pieces) it all sits in a nice little case that takes up little room and keeps all the jags and brushes in one area. For the solvents, brushes etc I have found a ladies makeup holder, ( clear plexiglass) has sufficient room to hold everything else. I also, tossed all the aluminum and cheap steel rods and have Tipton carbon fiber rods.

For the range of field I have my range bag and keep a soft sided winchester multi gun cleaning case in it.

I have yet to use a bore snake, the thoughts of pulling this thing through a bore a number of times without cleaning it.. Kinda like using the same patch over and over.. However, I have also spent no time researching how they work or how you clean them between pulls.

For all the other odd ball calibers I have, I use an empty rifle cartridge case to hold the jags and bore brushes. It keeps them separate, allows them to stand upright and closes tight when not in use.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    After 50 years of shooting, I accumulated a ton of cleaning gear. The first thing I did was scrape it all into one place. It was everywhere! I got a used Craftsman roller tool chest and arranged it all by function: pistol rods, jags, brushes, solvents, patches etc then organized it all in the roller chest. The rifle rods are one piece and hang from a rack on the wall. The thought of bending those made me cringe so I have them secured on the rack....safe and sound. The pistol rods are all together in the tool chest and finally, I can find stuff!

Flash

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I keep everything in a wooden chest. I just keep everything in one place since I got way to many calibers to consolidate into different boxes.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    What I meant was one box would have the light. But each box will have it's own patches own rods own bore snake. Im not going to bring this big box to the farm just to clean one or two firearms.

Top Bottom