Reactions: MTA

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    You hold your hand out of the way, and make a very tight fist. Your shooting hand will make a sympathetic tight fist.

I was taught it was twofold, #1 if you're doing quick one handed draw it will keep your hand out of the way of the gun.. and #2 if you ever did have an injured arm it's your natural reaction to hold it close to you.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I was taught it was twofold, #1 if you're doing quick one handed draw it will keep your hand out of the way of the gun.. and #2 if you ever did have an injured arm it's your natural reaction to hold it close to you.
    Yes to both. At KR they teach the sympathetic squeeze thing. If a five time grand master tells me to squeeze my other hand, I squeeze my other hand!:cool:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Well at least now I know the reasoning behind it.
    Another reason (that I don't buy but I've seen in print) is that if you're shooting one-handed then the off hand over the chest provides some protection for vital organs.

It's probably been 40 years since I've seen that in print. Back then, the legacy of one-hand-only shooting was still with us and protective vests were rare, so I suppose there may have been some agencies, somewhere, that adopted a doctrine of "it's better to take a bullet in the arm than in the heart".

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Another reason (that I don't buy but I've seen in print) is that if you're shooting one-handed then the off hand over the chest provides some protection for vital organs.

It's probably been 40 years since I've seen that in print. Back then, the legacy of one-hand-only shooting was still with us and protective vests were rare, so I suppose there may have been some agencies, somewhere, that adopted a doctrine of "it's better to take a bullet in the arm than in the heart".
    That's what popped into my head when I saw the picture.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    When practicing one-handed shooting, I look to put on a bored face and stick the other hand into my jeans pocket. It angers the tacticool crowd tremendously.
    I shot a GSSF match one-handed once. I was actively shooting bullseye at the time and it just seemed natural to me.

I sure did get a lot of funny looks.

Top Bottom