• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I shot a GSSF match one-handed once. I was actively shooting bullseye at the time and it just seemed natural to me.

I sure did get a lot of funny looks.

There are guns I shoot better one-handed, and there are some I shoot better off-handed. Wife's the same.
    Capitol Armory ad

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    I was taught it was twofold, #1 if you're doing quick one handed draw it will keep your hand out of the way of the gun.. and #2 if you ever did have an injured arm it's your natural reaction to hold it close to you.

+1 on this. Apparently there's also a third reason from what I've read.

I believe it was either Mossad Ayoob or Chris Bird that taught when using the 'across the chest' stance, possibly while also tightening your core muscles to some extent, it gives you a steadier shooting platform when firing single-handed than if you just let your arm hang or rest on your hip, which comes in triple handy particularly if you have in fact been wounded in the arm and you need the steadiest platform you can get to shoot your way out of Dodge.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I can add a few things

Shooting an automatic pistol with your thumb over your wrist

Extremely common, and I've lost count of how many bandaids and "i told you so's" I've handed out. I've had people argue with me about this, AFTER i had just gotten done patching somebody up.

People with either no sights on their rifles, or only on the upper reciever

People buy those "optics ready" AR's and will place the front and rear sight the only place they can, the upper. They then proceed to not hit their target

Sks's with dead red dots. Theres no dot, so clearly you are supposed to use it as an aperture, just center the front sight in the tube and ignore the fact the gun is at a 45° angle!

LVPO's on AR's backwards. Listen, I'm not criticizing you, I'm trying to help.

Shooting mystery bag reloads. This gets people worked up. "No the ammo is fine, its this damn gun". God forbid it's the ammo you bought at a gun show from a guy missing 3 fingers and his right eye...

People introducing new shooters with their glock 33, or other lightweight, extremely punishing handgun

People who wamt to see what their low grade buckshot does at 50 yards (its great at hitting other people's targets)

People who ask to see what gun i have, and immediately talk shit about it. The past couple of guys were shooting hi points and one of those FMK guns. "Nah man, glocks suck ass, my hi point has been flawless out of the box!" They go to shoot and immediately have a FT Feed.

People who think you can build up "hearing resistance" to loud noises by exposure.

People who lie about their guns zero. "Hell yea bruther, this gals zeroed out to 1,000 yards!" Iflts fumny to watch their walk of shame as they go from 200, to 100, then 50, then resort to the 25yd range

People who berate the people they bring to the range. These people are usually some of the worst shots I've seen.

I could go on, and probably will at a later time

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I can add a few things
    People who lie about their guns zero. "Hell yea bruther, this gals zeroed out to 1,000 yards!" Iflts fumny to watch their walk of shame as they go from 200, to 100, then 50, then resort to the 25yd range...

TBH, the phrase ‘zero’d out to’ any yardage, but that’s just semantics. If you’re shooting those distances, you’ve got the knowledge necessary to adjust your elevation to be on paper at any distance short of that.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    Bunch of kids yesterday walked in. Grabbed their rented handguns, loaded up all their ammo and took the target out to 25 yards. Then proceeded to mag dump all their ammo into the target. One holding the guns gangsta style. One limp wristing a 19x, and one kid shooting both the floor and the ceiling. They were in there for about 10 minutes with 200 rounds of ammo. They brought their target back and there was 13 holes in the target. I literally could count all of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Bunch of kids yesterday walked in. Grabbed their rented handguns, loaded up all their ammo and took the target out to 25 yards. Then proceeded to mag dump all their ammo into the target. One holding the guns gangsta style. One limp wristing a 19x, and one kid shooting both the floor and the ceiling. They were in there for about 10 minutes with 200 rounds of ammo. They brought their target back and there was 13 holes in the target. I literally could count all of them

That sounds about like Odessa Outdoors.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    The worst thing I've done so far is hit one of the binder clips holding the target.

I sometimes do that intentionally if the guy next to me is being a dick. I’ll shoot his clips so he has to go back out of the range to get a new target and clips

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    TBH, the phrase ‘zero’d out to’ any yardage, but that’s just semantics. If you’re shooting those distances, you’ve got the knowledge necessary to adjust your elevation to be on paper at any distance short of that.

That was a direct quote. People lie about the zero on their guns. What their "1,000 yard zero" actually means is "the guy at cabellas did a bore sight and said its good to go"

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Could have been me just the same. Always have a first aid kit in my range bag and nearly always get to use it.
    I keep 2 kits, an IFAK with all the serious stuff, and a small kit with bandaids, antibiotics, pain releivers, etc.

Thank god i haven't had to use my IFAK

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    That was a direct quote. People lie about the zero on their guns. What their "1,000 yard zero" actually means is "the guy at cabellas did a bore sight and said its good to go"
    I don't shoot rifles often. I've always heard a bore sight will get you on paper at a known distance. My ancient Hi Point carbine had no sights when I bought it. Company sent them to me. Followed their instructions to "get on paper" and it shoots 10" high at 25 yards. No adjustments left on rear sights. So the crude front post will have to be moved. Would a bore sight help in this instance?

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I don't shoot rifles often. I've always heard a bore sight will get you on paper at a known distance. My ancient Hi Point carbine had no sights when I bought it. Company sent them to me. Followed their instructions to "get on paper" and it shoots 10" high at 25 yards. No adjustments left on rear sights. So the crude front post will have to be moved. Would a bore sight help in this instance?

A bore sight is generally good for 50 yards, but i can often get people on paper at 100 if the stars align

A bore sight would not help you. I don't think you can use a collimator (spelling?) With irons, and hi-point carbines have a wall that blocks you from looking straight through the barrel.

Since your rear sight is out of adjustment, change the setting on your front sight. You will need to lower it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom