• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawDawg77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    Houston, Texas
    I haven't seen much info presented on the full size Shadow yet, so thought a good first post might be dropping my experience in case anyone was wondering about the platform.

I've been running the DR920 Elite since December at classes/training and a few 3-Gun Competitions. With > 3,800 rounds through it, I can say I'm pleased. If you've shot/handled an MR918 or MR920, then you already know the improvements in the grip from a factory 19. The DR920 has the same improved grip with the same length as the 17. For anyone who has not me the Shadow offerings, they mirror all the major modifications consistently done to improve the ergonomics of the factory 17/19 Platform. These include: No finger grooves, improved texture, beveled/double undercut trigger guard, support hand raised index points, extended beavertail, backstrap inserts that index via a channel vs clip on, removable factory magwell, and flat trigger. The grip is excellent and was very well executed. Trigger is still Duty rated weight wise, but is smooth and has a great reset. It's not a Competition trigger with minimal travel, but it's not supposed to be. The slide on the Elite has extra lightening cuts and top serrations for grip. The weight difference compared to a factory 17 is noticeable. This translates to less perceived recoil and mitigated muzzle flip without being comp'd. Included sights co-witness below lower 1/3 when optic is mounted, and take up much less room compared to standard Suppressor Sights, while still being useable if needed (RMR06 & Holosun 507c - no experience with DPP or other on this gun).

As far as running and gunning, the DR920 has performed with the same reliability you'd expect from a G-Lock, with only a handful of hiccups over thousands of rounds (most, if not all, attributed to a few worn out 9mm P-Mags). No issues with 124gr FMJ or 124gr HP Ammo. Accuracy is Top Tier for a Striker Fired Polymer gun, and I have out shot higher-end 2011's in courses and competitions. Again person/situation dependent and I'm no bench shooter, but I hazard to say few would be disappointed in the achievable accuracy.

The DR920 has not been babied during it's time with me. It has run muddy, wet, dry, hot, and dirty. I intentionally ignored my typical cleaning regime and was not let down. Grip, Trigger, Function/Fit/Finish are all excellent. I've had >20 shooters get hands on time with it and all were impressed. As with anything, take my info with a grain of salt, but if you are interested in either Shadow System platform, I can assure you will not be dissatisfied with giving one a shot. I've conceal carried a 918 for almost 2 years and it's been superb. My experience with the DR920 only solidifies my trust in the performance of the platform.

Hat tip to Shadow Systems on a well-designed and executed product. Also hard to beat being MADE IN TEXAS!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Didn't oldag get one of these recently. I may have the member wrong, but somebody regular around here got one off Gunbroker for like $600 NIB I think, in the past month.

ETA: Nope, @OLDVET got it.

LawDawg77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    Houston, Texas
    Didn't oldag get one of these recently. I may have the member wrong, but somebody regular around here got one off Gunbroker for like $600 NIB I think, in the past month.

ETA: Nope, @OLDVET got it.

The MR920 is 19 sized
    The DR920 is 17 sized

Mostly Gen4 parts, but a 17 barrel will not work on a DR920.
    I own several Glocks, and I had to Google it.

The MR918 was released in January 2019 and the current model MR920 was released in January 2020. the DR920 was released for sale this year. Company has been around since 2016. Shadow was making Glock Upgrade Parts prior to breaking into the complete pistol game.

LawDawg77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    Houston, Texas
    920 design allows for substantially longer optic mounting screws. Nice peace of mind. Standard screw on left, Shadow on right.

Attachments

• 29B40019-6FD6-4E51-8259-7865805CC894.jpeg
      29B40019-6FD6-4E51-8259-7865805CC894.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 113

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I do not have a DR920, but I do have two MR920 pistols. I am surprised that Glock has not sued Shadow Systems for copying their G19. They are damn near clones. I haven't had a chance to shoot either of my MR920's so far. The MR920 feels lighter than my Gen 4 G19, so recoil may be an issue. Other than that I am pleased with both of my MR920s. One is FDE with a black barrel and the other is black with a bronze colored barrel.
    The Shadow Systems office is about a 10 minute drive from my office here in Plano. I had to get both of my MR920 from a company in Butler Pennsylvania. This MR920 is bringing more than $650 (depending on configuration) on the internet.
    If you are in the market for one, I recommend you do a careful in depth search of the internet. I paid less than $700 for either of mine.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Nice write-up and I appreciate your real world use of it to bolster your opinion. Naturally I own a Glock, several over the years but I have a preference for hammer fired guns and iron sights. I've considered one and might buy one in the future. I have been drooling over an arsenal strike one but the made in Texas aspect has me leaning towards the shadow.

LawDawg77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    Houston, Texas
    Nice write-up and I appreciate your real world use of it to bolster your opinion. Naturally I own a Glock, several over the years but I have a preference for hammer fired guns and iron sights. I've considered one and might buy one in the future. I have been drooling over an arsenal strike one but the made in Texas aspect has me leaning towards the shadow.
    "Made in Texas" definitely a bonus. I've carried my MR918 for two years and it has been great. The 920s are equally solid. My partner snagged a War Poet MR920 after shooting mine.

LawDawg77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    Houston, Texas
    4.5-5lbs per Shadow. I don't have a Trigger Pull Gauge, but it's feels on par with factory G17 weight, maybe tad under. Trigger weights creeping under 4 tend to be sketchy in duty/carry capacity with folks not accustomed to light triggers or deficient in training. Good triggers are good, but accidents are bad.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    LD77,

Thanks!

I'm now a fan of a heavier trigger pull weight.

I bought a budget S & W SD9 VE ($300 out the door) that has an 8 lb trigger pull weight.

I also own a G19 with a 3.5 lb trigger pull that I now don't care for.

Maybe, it's my getting older, but very light triggers are no longer for me.

Top Bottom